1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Elevation Beer Co's Downpour released

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by ElevationBeer, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Hey Folks!

Finally our not so Fall Black Series release, Downpour, an Imperial Red Ale (Think Red Extra IPA) is now out. Here is some info on the beer:

Downpour
    Imperial Red Ale

Style: Imperial Red Ale
    ABV: 7.5%
    IBUs: 90
    Hop: Simcoe, Falconers Flight, Chinook, Galena
    Malts: two-row, caramel, Chocolate Malt
    Pairings: Blue Cheese, Chicken Curry, and Chili Rellenos

The Story

Downpour is named after the sudden thunderous downpour that hit the Elevation Team during a “team building” trip of paddle boarding and beer at Chaffee County’s Cottonwood Lake. The hot day on the lake and its enlivening, bitter, cold downpour inspired us to create an Imperial Red Ale with a combination of the fresh bitterness of 4 different types of hops and the warming of a big malt backbone. This beer is perfectly balanced for the warmth of summer sun and the cold of fall rain.

You can find it at:

Amattos
    Right Coast Pizza
    Freshcraft
    Hops and Pie
    Brewers Republic
    The Kitchen- Boulder
    Lucky Pie Pizza-Denver
    Jakes Brew Bar
    Cedar Creek Pub
    Backcountry Pizza-Boulder

It should be hitting more bars and stores shortly, but it was a pretty limited release with less than 30 kegs and 140 cases out.

Cheers.

The Elevation Team
  2. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (655) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Looking forward to this... although really looking forward to Oil Man :) :) :)
    denver10, SalukiAlum and ssteigerwald like this.
  3. That should arrive along with Señorita (Horchata Imperial Porter) mid January.

Cheers.

The Elevation Team
  4. :cool:
  5. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (420) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

Next thing you know you'll be brewing Tepache Lambic.
  6. heyduke

heyduke Aficionado (170) Colorado Jan 14, 2011

Is this going to be available in bottles?
  7. Last sentence said it should be hitting stores soon.
  8. Mile high just got some in...posted it on their Facebook page today
  9. heyduke

heyduke Aficionado (170) Colorado Jan 14, 2011

Where is mile high?
  10. In the Belmar shopping center off Wadsworth and Alameda
  11. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Just picked up a bottle, can't wait to try this.
  12. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

Saw bottles at Weber St. in Colorado Springs yesterday, didn't pick one up yet though.
  13. Had a bottle in my hand a few minutes ago and ended up putting it back. Need to drink a few in the fridge. But seemed reasonably priced at $9
  14. denver10

Thanks to Elevation for NOT posting here that they brought all/most of their beers to Mayor of Old Town last night....it was only by luck I stopped in and caught their offerings. But glad that I did. Got to try the Bourbon Barrel Aged Oil Man and that stuff is delicious, can't wait to see the bottles hit the shelves.

Their Little Mo' Porter was seriously drinkable too. I preferred it to imperial porter, Senor Horchata, personally.
  15. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Was there as well. Solid beers. I really liked the Oil Man and Senorita, the Little Mo' was very easy to drink. Can't wait to pick up some bottles.
  16. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Downpour is a fantastic beer. I've bought three of these so far, and I'll continue to buy it. The American Red style has been very hit-or-miss for me, but when it's on, it's one of my favorite things in this world. Unfortunately, I never got to try Marble Imperial Red in good condition, but I love their regular red. That, Downpour, and the stuff I've had from Black Shirt Brewing have all been really great. Next up, Odell Red.
    denver10 and Prospero like this.
  17. robwater

robwater Aficionado (215) Colorado Jan 14, 2012

Hello mid-January. Got any Oil Man yet?
  18. Haha,

For sure! Should be out in a mater of days. Already at our distributors warehouse in Denver. We have a couple events next month (we posted the Mayor of Old Town event on the BA events page and our website and Facebook page) First Event is 2/7 at West End Tavern in Boulder, Also 2/20 at Rackhouse pub, 2/25 at the Kitchen in Boulder and 2/27 at Lucky Pie Pizza. Lots of great beers normally not available in the Front Range will be poured as well. Always feel free to ask us questions! Just put up the Elevation/batman signal and we will come.

Cheers.

The Elevation Team
  19. Prospero

2/27 Lucky Pie Denver?
  20. yes! Should have at least 4 beers on tap, and most likely Oil Man.

Cheers.

The Elevation Team
  21. Prospero

22. denver10

Never visited that page....serves me right.
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  23. SalukiAlum

I try to remember to scan that page every once in awhile. I'm a regular at Mayor of Old Town and didn't know Elevation was going to be there, I read it on the events page :) Glad I found out! Might have to go back before the Oil Man is gone.
    denver10 likes this.
  24. Prospero

25. tacosandbeer

26. denver10

I've tried the Little Mo' a couple times now and really like it. Enjoyed it more than the Horchata, which was decent too. Still I am thinking I need to have to revisit the Horchata, not sure I tasted everything that is actually there, specifically the vanilla. Next time I try it, it will be my first beer of the night and not the last.
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  27. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

looks like i need to get off of my Sucks kick and find some first cast and hop abomination. sucks is just so... well, it doesnt suck, anyway....
    ucsbmullet and b0rderman like this.
  28. Hey BAers,

Glad you all are excited for our beer! Thanks for the support! We had to add Vanilla and Cinnamon to the label as we are required to by the TTB, wish we could have called it 'Horchata Imperial Porter' on the label but the TTB didn't want people to actually think it was horchata (really). The beer is pretty fantastic but will only be out for a short time as we are attempting to get on a regular seasonal release schedule with our Black Series and Double Black Series Beers.

Thanks for the support and cheers!

The Elevation Team
  29. tacosandbeer

Thanks for the info!
  30. denver10

Any idea when Fort Collins can expect First Cast and Little Mo' 4 packs?
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  31. SalukiAlum

Yeah, I want a 4 pack of Little Mo!! Good stuff.
  32. robwater

robwater Aficionado (215) Colorado Jan 14, 2012

I woulda went with "tiger nuts."
  33. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

pretty sure breckenridge has a trademark on the term "tiger nuts" so that nobody else can say it on their labels
    robwater likes this.
  34. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

Had this the other day as my brother (he may have applied for a job there as well) shipped it. I have fallen in love with your company since the other offerings he has sent me, especially the Signal de Botrange. I look forward to many more shipments.
  35. Hey Guys!

Little Mo' and First Cast will be opening up to more accounts across the Front Range as production allows. We really hoping to open up more places in the Denver Metro, open up Fort Collins and Colorado Springs by early March! Wish we could have started with more accounts but just didn't have enough beer. We will soon though!

Cheers.

The Elevation Team.
    denver10 likes this.
  36. denver10

Since I would rather not have to wait until March...I will be down in Denver for a concert next Wednesday, what store(s) can I find these four packs in down there?
  37. I know Mile High has them...haven't heard of anyone else getting them yet
    denver10 likes this.
  38. denver10

Mile High is in Lakewood, right? Not sure if I will have the window of time to make a trip over there...which sucks.

Anyone else aware if this one has landed in Denver proper? Mr. B's, Joy's, Arganaut, Liquor Mart, etc?
  39. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,005) Colorado May 19, 2005

I haven't even seen it on order sheets yet, aside from Downpour and I snatched that up toot-sweet-quick. Will have to request a new order sheet methinks. o_O
    denver10 likes this.