1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $14.99 (US/print only). Offer ends April 30. Subscribe now! (Because great beer deserves great stories AND readers.)

Elevation love

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by SFACRKnight, Jul 30, 2012.

1. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (615) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Picked up a bottle of apis IV a couple of weeks ago, didn't notice when I bought it that the cork and cage looked a little mangled. Drank the beer anyway. As it warmed I noticed a slight metallic taste that got out of control as it warmed up more and more. knowing full well that the damaged cork was probably the cause of this issue I contacted the brewery about the problem. If I had a distributer mishandling my beers I would want to know. Elevation sent me a new bottle to try, a sticker, a card for a free sampler at the brew pub, and a tshirt. To me this is amazing customer service that deserves recognition, especially when the issue probably stemmed from a bump along the way aand not from the brewer at all. And btw, the beer was amazing and I look forward to trying the BA version when it is released!

alexipa, Mebuzzard and Prospero like this.
  2. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (705) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Truly a great place, I've enjoyed all their beers. FYI, I think they self-distribute, so it might have been bumped after delivery or something.

3. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

Great to hear reports like this. I met Christian, the head brewer, at an event and he seemed like a really nice guy. I am definitely going to check them out next time I am in the area.

4. Excellent response from Elevation. That's what you hope to see.

Had a poor experience from Odell, as I purchased a flat Woodcut 5 and a sourish tasting Imperial Stout from Jubilation in Albuquerque. I paid over $40 total for both, sent them an e-mail with no response.

Just goes to show you that Elevation cares about their customers, while others do not.

5. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (550) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Surprising to hear! I had some issues with some infected Odell Bourbon Barrel Stout. The brewery had me open all the bottles, then I sent them my receipts. They refunded my money, and sent me a tshirt and some stickers. I've heard nothing but great things about Odell customer service from others as well.

6. I sent them an e-mail in their response form and they never got back. Probably had the same infection in the bourbon barrel stout.

7. Domingo

Domingo Champion (955) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I've had good luck with issues from a few different CO breweries.

I bought a La Folie back in 2005'ish and it was dead flat. Not lightly carbonated, but as still as water. I let them know about it, and I had 2 fresh bottles and a handwritten letter from their QA person on my porch in 2 days.

With Odell, I bought one of the first bottles of their India Barleywine 3 years ago. Somehow it actually had whole hops floating in it. I let them know and they had their distributor for Illiff & Chambers (the closest store to me) drop off a few bottles at my house.

Glad to hear Elevation is handling things the same way. As brewers get experimental - this stuff can happen. It makes me not care as much as long as they make it right. I do wonder how they'd approach it if someone bought the beers here but lived outside of their distribution area, though.

8. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (615) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Elevation shipped the beer to me via ups I believe. It wasn't dropped by distro, I would assume they would handle it in the same way.

9. Good points. I live in CA, but purchased the beer in NM. Don't know how they would respond. Would be nice if they at least acknowledged it instead of letting me piss away $40 on two barely drinkable beers.

10. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (705) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Just showed up on their facebook page:

[​IMG]

denver10 likes this.
  11. denver10

denver10 Champion (910) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Really quite enjoyed Apis IV a lot. More than I expected, look forward to checking First Cast out if the opportunity presents.

12. JCDenver

JCDenver Savant (280) Texas Feb 8, 2010

I had a really good customer service experience with Odell as well. Had one of the bottles of Hiverrano that they later recalled. After an email (which they responded to in a very timely fashion), they sent me a refund, tshirt, keychain, etc. They went above and beyond what I expected.

13. Glad you got feedback and a good response JC. Will likely be turning my nose up at them at GABF this year. I do really like their IPA and double IPA tho. One bad experience ruins it tho.

14. denver10

denver10 Champion (910) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Finally got around to trying their Signal de Botrange barrel aged saison (its on tap at Choice City as an FYI to the locals) and enjoyed it even more than I expected. These guys have really come hot out the gate as both beers that are in distribution have been a huge success in my book. Didn't I see they have a barrel aged RIS coming out soon? Can't wait to try that one too.

15. narayan

narayan Aficionado (180) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

Their smoked doppelbock was delicious as well.

16. Domingo

Domingo Champion (955) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Interesting about bad service from Odell. I got a bad bottle of their India Barleywine and they actually hand-delivered 2 replacement bottles to my house for the trouble.

With Elevation - everything I've had from them has been good thus far. The smoked doppelbock was a hair too smokey for my tastes (I lean in the Spezial direction when it comes to rauchbier) but it was still well done. Apis IV is a damn fine beer for something readily available and doesn't cost a fortune. Those guys could be the next Funkwerks.

17. The resurrection of this thread made me crave a Apis IV, so I went to my local bottle shop last night to pick one up...and they were out. That was the first time I haven't seen them on the shelf

I haven't had anything else by them but I really enjoy the Apis IV, really need to pick up the Signal de Botrange