1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Elysian Pumpkin Fest lineup?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by BabyTree, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Anyone have the lineup list for Elysian pumpkin fest... Aka what they will put on for each session tomorrow? Thanks!
  2. Cascades sour pumpkin aged in rum barrels and fremonts pumpkin Bbomb were my two favorites last night. Elysian had a curry pumpkin ale as well which I liked. Avoid Elysians pumpkin BW and the slippery pigs hog thai'd(the only one I dumped)

Cheers!
  3. My favorite was also the Cascade Pumpkin Smash sour pumpkin. I also had the Black Raven Harbinger, St. Arnold Pumpkinator, Fremont The Brother Pumpkin IIPA, and the Elysian Coche de Medianoche.

Just a little heads up, the Fremont Pumpkin B-bomb was the first keg to kick on Friday night. If you want it, get it early. I missed out.
  4. I haven't seen a lineup online. There are over 50 beers.
  5. Sweet!!! Just got my wisdom seeker, now can't wait to go tonight!
  6. [​IMG]

I went earlier today. Cascade's Pumpkin Smash was AWESOME. Pumpkin B-Bomb was really good and Pumpkin Brother was tasty as well. I missed out on Ghoulschip last year, so it was great to try it this year. HotD's Greg also made a surprise appearance, which I wasn't expecting.

It's funny that last year, Russian River's Pumpkin Sour hung around all day Saturday with absolutely zero hype, but this year it was a special beer that didn't even last 20 minutes.

Overall, I tried:

Fremont Pumpkin B-Bomb
    Fremont Pumpkin Brother IIPA
    Russian River Pumpkin Sour
    Cascade Pumpkin Smash
    Allagash Ghoulschip
    Epic Pumpkin Pie Gose
    Fort George Drunkin Pumpkin
    Gigantic/Vertigo We Know Jack
    Hair of the Dog Greg
    Elliot Bay Kill Bill 3
    Beer Valley Jackalope
    Elysian Great Pumpkin (straight from the pumpkin)
    HUB El Gourdo 2: Electric Boogaloo
    Elysian Coche de Medianoche
    flexabull and libbey like this.
  7. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (760) Washington May 12, 2005

Man oh man - not sure if i went to the same fest as everyone else.

This was easily the least enjoyable beer festival I have EVER been to...

* Terrible line around the block to get in - check
    * Run out of $5 upgrade glasses by 5:15 - check
    * Rub it in your f*cking face by pouring terrible short pours in the 5oz glasses and massive pours in the chalices - check
    * Play awful 90's alternative rock - check
    * Mislabel the Cascade beer - check (what i had was not a 11% rum barrel aged beer)
    * Lines to get ANY beer are a minimum of 20 minutes - check
    * 7 people wearing Michigan geer (am I in hell?) - check

I had some really good beer, but I was gone by 7, and I doubt i'm ever returning. That was really awful. I couldnt even get inside the brewery and by the time the pumpkin was tapped I couldnt have been less interested in tasting what was inside.
  8. I went to the 11am-4pm session, the longest I waited in line for anything was 5 minutes.
  9. dirtylou

Yeah - sounds great. The PM session (seemingly the same # of tickets?) was an absolute disaster. I had formed a mental boycott of Elysian by 5:20
  10. Let me begin by saying that this might have been the first beer fest that I've ever attended, but my wife and I had a great time on Friday night at Elysian. We got there a little before 5 and stayed until 7:30 or so. There was only one line --- the one with B-bomb --- that got long. I don't remember having to wait more that a couple of minutes in any line. My wife definitely dug the 70-80-90's R-and-B and funk they were playing while we were there.

And, finally, there was only one dude in a Michigan hat. My wife and I both taunted him and he had forgotten at first that he even had a Michigan hat on and didn't know why we were harrassing him everytime we walked past him. When he finally remembered that he had the M hat on, he came over to us to tell us he was from Toledo and has split allegiances. In other words, I only ran across half a Michigan fan.
  11. dirtylou

Ha - Anyone else go Saturday night? There way no way you could get ANY beer in less than 20 minutes. There was so much beer I would have been thrilled to consume, but it just wasn't worth it. Running out of the large glasses immediately really rubbed me the wrong way too, due to the massive disparity in pour size.

I had...

Fremont Pumpkin B-Bomb
    Fremont Pumpkin Brother
    Black Raven
    Cascade (Lol, No - but thanks for trying to pass some watery pumpkin lager off as a cascade sour)
    Russian River
    Cambridge - barrel aged pumpkin stout
  12. There was a totally different vibe from last year, but it wasn't bad. Just felt like way more hype and "rarity" this year, which is silly. These things are about having fun.
  13. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (320) Washington Nov 23, 2010

I agree that the lines Sat. night got crazy and it sucked grabbing a beer going straight to the back of a line and finishing with that beer 10mins before you got to the front of the line. I got there 30min before doors open so thankful I got a large glass and the lines were quite manageable the first 4 beers or so. Then once it got to about 8:45 the lines were short again even though a bunch of stuff was gone.

I loved the pumpkin b-bomb, Russian river sour, cascade sour (the real one), and Mr. Yuck was actually good this year (thought last years was terrible). I waited in line for the Cascade sour about 30 min and it as the bad one everyone is talking about and was very disappointed, but then heard the guy with the flashy light on his head say that he was pouring a cascade sour. That was the legit pumpkin sour everyone was hoping to get and it was fantastic. Other notables were Black Raven Harbinger, Elliott Bay P-Funk, and The Gourdfather

I hope that people don't judge this festival based on Saturday nights problems because that was the only session it was like that and has never been that way in the past. In talking with some of the lead Elysian brewers last night they said that a large percentage of the volunteers that were supposed to pour didn't show. The planned 3 people per table pouring and at some I saw only 1. Hopefully if this event continues to grow the organization and volunteer process can be refined.

This event and cask festival are my 2 favorite every year. Even though Saturday night had me frustrated a bit I will definitely be back next year, and make sure I can get there early and stay till the end like this year
  14. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

There was really a difference in pour size between the small and large glass at the second session Saturday? I volunteered at the first session on Saturday and the staff told us what to pour for each glass. It was supposed to be 5oz pours, which was to the top of the writing on the snifter, and to just touching "company" on the tulip. Just measured it out and they are the same size.
  15. It wasn't just Saturday night. And it wasn't consistent pourer to pourer. I had a tulip and some filled to the bottom of "company" and one guy filled my tulip (although I was distracting him with a witty anecdote). But most of the pourers half-filled my tulip. FYI - I was there pretty early on Friday night and it wasn't that crowded. Maybe the volunteers were just happy to have folks around.
  16. Smurf2055

Quite possible. I know I was being as consistent as possible, but I'm one guy at one booth.
  17. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I didn't make the fest but they had a mini-fest complete with a pumpkin tapping at a local place here in Spokane. Of all I tried I think Hop Squash (Ninkasi collab) was the clear winner.
  18. RandomBattle

RandomBattle Savant (265) New York Jun 25, 2010

Define awful alternative 90's rock...
  19. Smashing Pumpkins
  20. RandomBattle

RandomBattle Savant (265) New York Jun 25, 2010

It's that kind of fitting given the event?
  21. How could the lines be worse for the Saturday night session? Didn't they sell the same amount of tickets for each session? I went to the early session and had a great time. The line was long to get into that one also, but it moved pretty fast. I will be back next year.
  22. dirtylou

Don't ask me - it was awful on all accounts. If I return, it'll be for a few hours right when it starts on Friday.
  23. That's what my wife and I did and we had a GREAT time. Cheers.
  24. dirtylou

Clearly a tale of 2 festivals. I appear to be on the losing end. Oh well - at least I haven't wasted a nickel on the 12 beers of the apocalypse series :p
  25. My only disappointment over the event was that Avery's Rumpkin didn't make it. That was the one beer I was most looking forward to trying.
  26. Chrispy

Chrispy Aficionado (105) Washington Oct 30, 2012

Avery's rumpkin did make the festival. They only had 1/6 barrel which they tapped on Friday as one of the "rare" beers. Allagash was the rare beer for Saturday morning and I don't know what the other one was for Friday night. I volunteered at the fest and Saturday night was probably bad because they did not have as many volunteers. If you volunteered you could not drink before, so most people wanted to volunteer Friday/go either session Saturday or volunteer Saturday morning and go Saturday night. The people who coordinated the volunteering told me that they were shorthanded saturday night and did not have as many people as the other two sessions.
  27. I asked one of the guys from Elysian and he told me that Rumpkin never made it to them. He said they were very disappointed over it, but it was beyond their control. He didn't mention that they had a small barrel Friday night. Strange.
  28. frackle

frackle Aspirant (45) Illinois May 20, 2011

The Rumpkin was a source of some confusion for me. When I was in line for La Parcela 2009, two people I had talked to earlier remarked that it didn't taste sour (which would be the first time anyone said that about a Jolly Pumpkin beer), and one of the people pouring kept referring to it as 16% abv. My pour was clearly La Parcela, but I'm still suspicious that the Rumpkin accidentally got tapped at the same time, though I'm not sure how that would be possible. Otherwise, I had a great time, Cascade's was a definite favorite for me, along with Nøgne Ø's.
  29. Chrispy

Chrispy Aficionado (105) Washington Oct 30, 2012

I remember them announcing it on friday and the keg going in ~10 min. I went over and poured myself a little taste and thought there was a very clear rum and alcohol flavor that would only be apparent at a beer around 16% abv. They had an extra tap at the last trailer which was for the "rare" beers which is where la parcela 2009 was and the loading dock right behind it. Cascades pumpkin sour was my favorite as well. Any idea if they bottle?
  30. I now remember this. I remember thinking, "Who the eff wants a 16% ABV beer? I avoided this like the plague. No thanks."
    Chrispy likes this.
  31. Smurf2055

I believe this was a one-off made exclusively for this festival. Like Russian River's.