1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Employees buying up limited releases

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cactusleon, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I searched and while this topic has probably been brought up, i couldnt find anything on it, just wanted to get your opinions on employees of a store holding or buying up all the limited releases before the customer can get a chance?

i was at a liquor store here in NJ few weeks ago, went in within 24 hours of the store getting 2 cases of Lagunitas Sucks, place i visit all the time and know some of the workers there, i ask for it, he tells me its in the back and its only a 1 6-pack limit, he goes to get it and i hear him talking to a guy and then he comes out tells me its all gone, he tells me with all the employees and ppl calling for it theres no more

to be fair i have run into this situation here with founders harvest and the one employee sold me his 6pack that he set aside for himself, but dont like the fact that customers dont really have a chance to buy limited releases because the employees dont let them hit the floor

i do email the beer manager and know when these beers are coming in so i know to ask for the releases but its hard to compete with the employees, anyone else kinda disagree with this?

2. Snowrs

Snowrs Savant (390) Indiana Oct 10, 2009

As long as they are buying 1 allocation I have no problem with it.

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

The store employees should be made to abide by the same bottle limits they place on their customers, that said, if you own the place you can do whatever the heck you want, it's your business.

But if they keep buying up all the good stuff themselves and turning away customers they will find they are losing a lot of money in the long run.

4. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

Maybe you should put in an application for a part time job.

5. im sure they were only buying just 1 six pack, and i told him its no big deal its only beer, but its just frustrating that one of the only ways to get this beer here is to work at the store

6. i have thought about it haha

7. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Imagine how frustrating it can be to work at the store when a limited release beer arrives.

8. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

I've been trying to get my brother, who lives in Denver, to do the same. He needs a job, I need beer.

cactusleon likes this.
  9. not frustrating at all, they get a chance to buy it before any customer

10. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I think he meant standing there staring at a whole case of whatever new crazy shelf whale that just came off the truck and not being able to buy it all.

YogiBeer likes this.
  11. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

or the hundreds (millions if you work at FFF) of phone calls you receive hourly.

12. At the store I work at, employees are not allowed to by any limited releases at all! It SUCKS!!!!

13. but that isnt the case, because they can buy it, at least give the customer a chance to buy it, maybe 1 day or if a customer comes looking for it and an it is in stock and they employee didnt buy it, they should lose to the rights to it or something along those lines

14. The only time my beer manager prevented me and other fellow employees from buying something was when we get 6 bottles of Cantillon shipped to the store. Those were strictly limited to customers. Everything else is fair game - though we still have to follow the same limit.

There are some nice rules at our store that make it fair game for both the customers and the employees:

1) Anything in the back is not in the system yet so even we employees can't buy it yet. As soon as something is in the system it is on the floor ready to be sold.

2) Being such a big store we typically get a lot more than your smaller mom and pop's stores. Can't wait to get me some Nugget Nectar this week :D

15. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

That's what I was getting at, mostly.

The stories I've read about limited release days at liquor stores on this site alone make me glad I don't have a face made for customer service.

16. this isnt a mom and pop store, and i went the next day instead of the day it came in, so i wasnt really upset, like i said in the end its just beer, just dont basically tell me, yeah we have some but its in the back being held for our employees when im there and ready to buy

17. of course employees get first grabs. come on. lets be real.
    we're the ones that have to put up with the hundreds of phone calls and daily ridiculousness of dealing with the general public.
    We deserve first grabs. But we do abide by the purchase limits as well...mostly. I mean maybe instead of limit 1 6pack, we'll get 2. but nothing crazy.

18. Aaron58

Aaron58 Savant (270) Massachusetts Dec 16, 2007

I typically will tell my employees to wait a day. When something special comes in, BCS, whatever and I eblast or facebook it, I give it a day. Ill let my customers come in and buy, then the employees can take theirs. And I hold myself to the same rule.

Now, I run a smaller store and we will get very small amounts of things. Ive seen stores getting their Nugget Nectar shipments today and having huge case stacks of it, so I wouldnt stop my employees from getting that, but if i only have a case, i will.

Djsaturn1 and ESeab like this.
  19. its a good rule, maybe my title was a bit off, it was more frustrating that they seemed to have some in the back but werent letting me buy it cause the employees had it on hold, i was there and ready to buy it, and i know this place holds for customers, ive done it before but try not to for the most part

20. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

As long as the management makes sure to leave *some* for the customers, I'm fine with it.

Do you work retail? Have you ever worked retail? It sucks. Therefore, I am totally ok with any fringe benefits these people can get for dealing with a shitty, low paying, thankless job.

21. yes, i have worked retail for 8 years before my current job, but i would never think of holding something for myself when i couldnt buy it so a customer had no chance to, my manager wouldnt allow it, its always been, customer first where ive worked

22. Well this is always something that will make me not shop at a store. As a consumer that supports the business should have an equal opportunity to purchase as an employee. Its like who keeps them in business is the customers. TOTAL WINE by my house whenever they get anything like that the employees purchase all of it and the customers get nothing. When the Westy 12 hit this employee i know purchase two bricks and she said she got them for her friends, i was like wtf i want one. Last 2 years they got a case of abyss and didnt sell any to customers. These are the reasons I no longer shop there on a regular basis. It is fine if they want to keep for there employees but customers will refuse to shop there and go where they are treated better.

23. i will continue to shop this store, they have been good to me in the past, this was one incident i just wanted opinions on, they were just as upset that they could only get 2 cases cause ppl want this beer along with many that they can barely get any in of, just wanted a general opinion on these types of situations

24. leedorham

Gimme a break. Your employees are stakeholders just like your customers and keeping employees happy has just as much if not more value as keeping your customers happy. There's a reason those people took a job at a beer store.

Just manage it so it doesn't get out of control, which in this case it didn't. Clearly some customers (the "ppl calling for it") were able to get some. You snooze, you lose.

25. in all honesty my managers have actually been crazy like that, yeah id be able to buy stuff but not hold something before a customer could buy it, well unless i stashed it away

but i dont understand the hostility towards me, im just stating a situation, yeah im a little bit upset that i couldnt get this beer, but it didnt ruin my day, i even said i waited too long, but did get to buy another great beer i enjoyed

26. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

It's not hostility, just differing opinions. Certainly no reason to report someone's posts and have them removed.

27. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I'm sure a lot of employees spend just as much money there as regular customers. I have no problem with employees buying limited releases. If it is ultra limited then they can pay retail prices, no discount.

28. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

I think its a perk of working at a liquor store. I agree that any beer in the back that isn't already paid for by an employee should be fair game to the public, no 'holding' because you think a fellow employee wants some that isn't working that day.

I assist manage a store. We don't keep anything in the back that isn't already on the floor, so everything is available to everyone. In which case, employees can get as much as they want IMO. I'm actually surprised how long we sit on some special releases. We got 12 bottles of FW 16th anniversary almost two months ago and I bought one that day. A week ago we still had 4 so I bought another, I think I let enough time to go by for the public to get some.

I can't wait to go to work tonight, the Nugget Nectar has cometh (and I will buy alot of it)

Dogzbone and aasher like this.
  29. The store I work at lets the employees buy the limited stuff with the same restrictions put on the customer. Usually only one bottle and no discounts. But I've also missed out on a bunch of stuff because I wasn't there when the beer was delivered and we typically don't put any beer on "hold".

ESeab likes this.
  30. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

That's only 1 piece of the problem. Employees also have insider information as to when it arrives at the store and have an unfair advantage of grabbing it first.

31. im just trying to to have a simple discussion, not be told from someone to stop belly aching over the internet, i wasnt even that mad that this happened, i just happened to think of this situation 2 weeks later

32. at my store i work at they constantly count whatever limited release comes in to make sure no one is hiding any so everyone has a first come first serve basis. even though im an employee most of the time i cant even get a limited release beer because im working and not allowed to buy it until im off the clock. so not all stores get first pick.

33. leedorham

No hostility here. I just found your customer service martyrdom a bit disingenuous, maybe ridiculous at best.

34. I had a guy threaten to fight me on the day we got in our 2011 KBS. He knew when it was coming in and while I'm putting the delivery up he grabbed 2 cases of it. I told him he could only buy 1 4pk and he lost it.

Employee's should always get first pick for having to deal with the crazy's out there.

35. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I agree that access to limited releases should be a "benefit" for employees; it's not like a beer store has a lot more to offer them, and the owner/manager has to keep both employees and customers happy. Frankly, I think this should be used as an incentive for hard work. Not every employee would necessarily get first dibs, but the ones who are most helpful to customers, most productive, show the most initiative etc. would. Hey, we all have to work extra hard for bonuses. Doing this would also ensure that a few more bottles are available for sale to customers. If a shop doesn't want to lose its clientele because all the limited stuff is spoken for before it even comes off the truck, it needs to find a balance between keeping its employees and customers happy. Most successful businesses manage to do this.

Where I was taken a little aback is the somewhat whiny "we deserve it because we have to do our jobs" nature of your post. Of course you have to answer phone calls and deal with customers. You work in a bottle shop. Without your customers, you wouldn't have your job. If you don't like it, you might want to find a different line of work.

36. seeswo

seeswo Savant (490) Ohio Jan 10, 2010

vote with your dollar and tell them you are doing so.

atoulouk likes this.
  37. hey i understand, it may sound crazy, but if u knew my manager at the time he would do anything for our customers, kiss their ass whatever, we were a small chain but there was a reason why we were the most successful store

38. I fail to see much of a substantive difference between an employee and any other kind of customer, unless the employees are getting some kind of discount. Otherwise, it's all money and customers right?

woodchopper and aasher like this.
  39. so not being crazy and supporting this business all the time counts for nothing?

ESeab likes this.
  40. If I walk into a store and they have something -great .If not it's no big deal.I feel bad for the employees having to deal with the hoarders and truck chasers and phone calls .No matter how they deal with it someone is gonna get butthurt.
    I was talking to a salesperson at Christmas time and he told me that with one of the past releases he received over 100 calls about the beer and when the delivery guy showed up he was allotted 1 bottle , he sent it back rather than deal with the hassle. It's only beer ,get over it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.