1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Employees buying up limited releases

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cactusleon, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Errto

Errto Savant (305) Connecticut Oct 20, 2009

In one instance, no. But if it was a pattern? Sure. I absolutely expect that especially if I buy my regular beer from a certain store on a regular basis, that when something limited comes in that I want I have a fair shot at it. If other customers get to it before I do, fine. But if the reason I can't get any is all or most of it went to employees, why would I want to support that?
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  2. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I believe the benefits of spreading the word about the store in general would far outweigh any negative press you'd get from some neckbeard throwing a fit because you sold an employee your last bottle of KBS.
  3. thats good cause ur employees shouldnt be drinking on the job lol
  4. So you will spread the word about beers that I cannot buy. Great. I don't see how that helps the store.
    Seems like the way to be the store that never has the limited releases for sale.
  5. Sounds like an awful place to work. God forbid you let your employees become educated and knowledgeable about what they are serving their, I mean YOUR customers. No samples for you, assholes. Get Back to Work
  6. leedorham

See two posts above. No offense if you have a neckbeard.
  7. I work at a liquor store and generally the employees have the first pick on anything that comes in. For example, we got 3 bottles of cantillon iris in a couple months ago, and only one made it to the shelf (and was scooped up within 15 min).

It's unfortunate for the customer but anyone who says they wouldn't do the same thing is a straight up liar.
  8. in most cases yes, but when u go telling ur customers u cant have any cause ur employees snatched it all up, it would drive some customers away, in my case, this is my go to store, they have been good to me so its not a big deal
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  9. MCain04

MCain04 Savant (390) Illinois Jan 3, 2013

Completely agree. As crazy as I am, I know there's 100 people just like me lined up behind me, and a ton of people even crazier than I am. I try to be as nice and cordial to the beer sales guys who have to deal with beer geeks like me, and bring them a beer to sample whenever I get something random. Pay it forward, craft beer is all about community.
  10. Anyone who wants bourbon county stout doesn't really need to be sold on it
  11. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

It's just an advantage. There's tons of people who have advantages when it comes to buying limited releases. Some people have a flexible job or schedule so they can run out as soon as a release hits a store. Some people know people who can give them early notice or hold a bottle for them. No reason to pick on employees as if they're the only thing that prevented you from getting a beer you wanted.
  12. i do, im not a stout guy....lol
  13. I think realistically this is what ends up happening more often than not, and people are none the wiser. I'd still prefer it not happen this way, particularly with the tiny allocations stores are starting to see with some of these releases. But it should at least go without saying to not rub it in your customer's faces, yet stores continue to do so...
  14. Still. You're telling me that once an employee clocks out, you would refuse to sell them that beer even when they pay with cash money? Only because they work for you? They cant have even one glass?
    Again, sounds like an awful bar to work at.
    bradcochran1234 likes this.
  15. Oh man hmmm Then we have reached the point in our culture where being humble and kind is not seen as possible. I would not do as you describe because I am proud to be humble and kind, but it is very much our human nature at times that we act selfishly.
    cactusleon likes this.
  16. RelentlessLefty

RelentlessLefty Savant (275) Iowa Nov 1, 2012

I understand the frustration of being a customer looking for a limited release only to find out that it was gone because the employees got first dibs on the product. If you live in a small town with few options...sucks to be you. To the few stores that i have had happen at... I dont go back. I can buy somewhere else. It only hurts their business when they don't release limited product that will get out somewhere else.

17. if u read the thread u would know thats not the only thing that prevented me, and i stated that, and its not the employees fault, they do what the store lets them do
  18. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

I didn't mean you specifically I just mean in general.
    PD4Ever and cactusleon like this.
  19. They can but not with discount.

20. Seems like you're out of touch with your employees. Now, instead of them fairly buying their share, I can guarantee you that they are "sampling" their share.
  21. Errto

Errto Savant (305) Connecticut Oct 20, 2009

I agree with you on this one. But again, why should employees be allowed to buy as much as they want (collectively I mean...I understand the bottle limits still apply) _before_ it gets to customers?
  22. oh sorry, but yeah its different in my case, i just didnt think this beer would be gone within 24 hours not even being on the shelf
    Envelopes likes this.
  23. Threads like this make me wish I wasn't a beer geek!
  24. What's it have to do with being humble? Letting a grey whale go out with some random customer when you have the 100% right to purchase it fairly is stupid, not humble. You ever work in retail?
  25. The owner should open one or two with the staff and provide some 4 oz tastings. No way should each employee get a bottle or more for themselves.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  26. i kinda wish i didnt drink mainly IPAs, i could have bought 20 other great ipas but it so hard to find them fresh anymore, especially when everyone know exactly when stuff is being released nowadays
    GeddyLeeRocks likes this.
  27. Its probably the only good thing about working at a liquor store, that and shooting the shit with the booze bags and nut jobs which can be pretty funny at times.
  28. If it is something limited and sought after, then the store doesn't need its employees to spread the word. It is going to sell out anyway.
    I will shop at the store where I bought a bottle of KBS over the store where an employee tells me that the KBS was great but we don't have anymore.
  29. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

I don't have a problem with employees buying limited stuff so long as the store has enough supply for customers. It's good policy to not only keep your employees happy but also to have them be informed advocates of your products. However, a store that lets their employees take most or all of the stock - that's bad policy. A customer who stops in for a limited release is likely to either spend more money that day or become a repeat customer. I was very frustrated when I stopped at an MGM store (local MN chain) in Minneapolis for Founders CBS only to be told by the manager that the employees took the entire stock.
    KevinGordon and cactusleon like this.
  30. if everyone here is saying all these bad things about working at a liquor store, why are they still there? i dont get it, u possible cant be staying cause u get to buy a limited release every once in a while
  31. I understand where you're coming from. Its not like we're hoarding half of the supply. All I stated was that we're gonna get our beer. The vendor working for the distributor unloads the truck, brings the supply out to the sales floor, and you better believe we go pick ours up and hide it. Theres only a few of us that work here, and half of us are the only ones getting a bottle or 6pack. Trust me I want to make my customers happy, but when we only get 12 bottles and 200 people all want a bottle, what am I gonna do?
  32. perks o' the job. I get perks at my job the regular public doesn't. Why is beer any different?

can't you just buy one of the 100s of other beers they got?
    Shagtastic likes this.
  33. People work because they need money
    OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  34. Sell bottles to 12 customers
  35. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (485) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Yeah, that sums it up pretty much.

As long as there's a fair amount to go around, I don't see why employees shouldn't get first dibs. No danger of that here really, since hardly anyone that works in a beer shop actually seems to give two shits about beer. Knowledge of the stuff is optional at best.
  36. leedorham

Yeah. If their jobs suck so much why don't they just go get new ones? Of course!
  37. but cant the employee do the same?
  38. Again. Are employees not customers paying the same money? An employee doesn't deserve to purchase even one bottle? Thats insane.
    I bet you are the kind of person who doesn't tip the pizza delivery driver.
    Should I start calling you Mr. Pink?
    Jesus.
    ESeab likes this.
  39. I would rather 12 customers go out and tell people about a rare limited release I have at my store than a couple employees bragging on beer advocate......just sayin...
  40. Yes, as a matter of fact I do indeed work in the retail( I worked for Costco for many years prior to my current job), as well as previously the food hospitality industry for many years. I do not know what to say in refer to letting something go. Maybe I have never thought of this in a business matter, but more of the emotional side. But my view is that there is folks who choose to do the unexpected, who think radically, and let simple things like a grey whale go. As the point above or a question: can you understand some one who choose to be nice in this regard or is this seen as silly or weak? ( I hate words on the screen, they can never convey the tone hehe)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.