1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Employees buying up limited releases

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cactusleon, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cactusleon

cactusleon Member

its not like its a career, its a low paying job that everything sucks about it, or so was said in this thread, just go find another retail job they they can stand
    zach60614 and OneBeertoRTA like this.
  2. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Member

I worked in retail. I managed a snaker store when I was in college.
    I remember that the owner said no employees could buy Air Jordans for the first week or 2 after they came out.
    This applied to a couple of other sneakers as well.
    JoeyDankNug and Giovannilucano like this.
  3. KevinGordon

KevinGordon Member

Sorry Sammy. 11 customers will be getting theirs
  4. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Member

I kindly ask, do I miss something about employees getting a discount or does this not apply to the wine/beer/liquor industry?
  5. JoeyDankNug

JoeyDankNug Member

My employees get half off.
    beerassociate and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  6. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Member

Get this. The employee customers are not the ones keeping the lights on in the store and feeding the entire staff's families.

P.S. I tip the pizza delivery guys quite a bit, especially the ones that haven't eaten my pizza so I could enjoy one...
  7. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Member

I tip like a motherfucker. As a matter of fact I over-tip like a mother fucker.
    Not sure what that has to do with this discussion.
    IF it was my store you wouldn't be buying limited releases before the customer.
  8. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Member

You know me, Sammy, the crazy Italian with crazy ideals heheh That is why I could never do business as I do not have the courage to charge according and this is why I let my charming lady worry about business ideals! I would open a craft beer store and sell BCBS for a 4 dollars just to be crazy and bold! :D
  9. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Member

Not if it was my store.
    beerassociate likes this.
  10. KevinGordon

KevinGordon Member

we dont get discounts on super special releases.
    Giovannilucano likes this.
  11. JulianB

JulianB Member

Let's be perfectly honest here, what's the marginal effect going to be from a store selling limited releases to employees rather than customers?

As in, what percentage of the store's business is made up of highly beer-conscious customers who are going to come in looking for limited releases and take their regular business elsewhere if said release is not available? Also, if the store simply says "we're already sold out" rather than "employees got all the bottles", how is said unhappy customer going to be any the wiser?
    ESeab likes this.
  12. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Member

Well that makes sense!
  13. leedorham

leedorham Member

Exactly. I mean, all they're doing is biding their time until the sweet warm embrace of death arrives, right?
    GeddyLeeRocks likes this.
  14. JoeyDankNug

JoeyDankNug Member

Yo Sammy ill trade u beer for Jordan's!haha
  15. KevinGordon

KevinGordon Member

ultimately its up to management. in your case you would rule with an iron fist, sounds like.
    my manager does a great job of keeping both customers and employees happy.
    its just beer dude
  16. JoeyDankNug

JoeyDankNug Member

No it's not just beer if you own a store,it's a business dude
    BeerBuddy2122 and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  17. cactusleon

cactusleon Member

yes exactly, now ur getting it lol
  18. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Member

First dibs on products before customers...hmmmm.

Wait a minute, that gives me an idea! Come, put on your pretend hats and step away with me to imagination land for a minute.

Imagine this business model: a store where the only customers are also...

wait for it...

...employees of the store.

We can all work there. It'll be great! No annoying entitled custies to bother us while we snag first dibs on some sweet shelf whalez.

You're on to something bro.
    cactusleon and KevinGordon like this.
  19. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Member

I've been out of the sneaker business for twenty years.
    I was there when the first Air Jordans came out. Those suckers sold like they were barrel aged unicorn tears.
  20. JoeyDankNug

JoeyDankNug Member

They sell even faster now
  21. LeRose

LeRose Member

Looks like there's a couple of subjects here - one, employees buying products the same (bottle limit, retail price, etc) as any other customer. Two - employees scarfing up the "good stuff" off the truck and/or snagging all of it before it even hits the shelves. I don't get that uptight about beer, so neither really bother me that much. But in terms of "fairness" I think the second approach is a problem since everyone doesn't get a fair crack at a limited release or rare beer. And I really don't pay that much attention to begin with, so even if something rolled in I probably wouldn't know any better anyway. In general I am pretty content to buy whatever's there, might ask for something if I remember, and be content with an answer "no...we don't have it". Why would anybody say "no...we're out because the employees cherry picked it all" - that seems just an outright dumb thing to say to a customer. Frankly, most of the stores around here the beer workers are minimum wage, part-time kids with no bennies just trying to put a few bucks in their pockets. Unless they treat me rudely, I'm not going to give them a hard time about anything.

It comes down to the policy of the individual store or establishment. And generally speaking, happy employees are certainly the best ambassadors you can have. So if the "edge" is that an employee knows when something hits the shelf, so be it but it should be up to the manager or owner to set any rules. No matter how it is handled, somebody will have their panties in a bunch over it. I haven't seen it myself, but some jackwad following a delivery truck around and just blatantly hoarding would bother me a whole lot more - beer is for drinking, not collecting trophies. Then again, from the store's perspective that type is dropping a ton o' cash, so it is all a matter of perspective.
    FEUO likes this.
  22. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Member

I would boycott a store that never put special releases on the shelf if there was alternative. I don't care if odds are I won't score in the other store, it's the principal. I spend good money at my bottle shops, probably in the top 1-5% of all customers. If they think some part time employee is more worthy of a special release, that's on them. If you have a full time career manager or something one or two bottles is fine.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  23. nanobrew

nanobrew Member

Since this does not seem to be a problem at my go-to store, I have no problem with employees being allowed to buy an allocation. I would do no discount, that way they have to "want" it just as much as the customers.

Not allowing employees buy the limited releases seems a little contradicting to another view point on BA, that beer store employees should be knowledgeable and enthusiastic about craft beer. So you want employees who know and care about craft beer but are not able to buy the special/limited releases? :confused:... something about eating and having cake...
    ESeab likes this.
  24. cactusleon

cactusleon Member

especially if u cant afford ur rent but need the latest jordans..
  25. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Member

You couldn't be more wrong. I go above and beyond to keep my employees happy.
    It sounds like your manager is keeping employees happy at the expense of the customrs. That is just bad business.

It may be just beer to you. But to the owner of the store it is never just a customer. Not if they want to stay in business for very long.
    vurt, GoGators, Errto and 2 others like this.
  26. KevinGordon

KevinGordon Member

anyway its been fun guys. Time to go to work and tell 500 more people we dont have hopslam yet.
    and when it finally comes in, you think I'm gonna sit there and watch it all sell out while I get none of it?
    aw hell nah
    ggwheeler likes this.
  27. Blanco

Blanco Member

I don't really care who buys it first, whether it's employees or someone else. I'll shop at the stores I think have good prices, good customer service and allow me access to special releases. Those that do that will get most of my business. It's a symbiotic relationship. I don't expect every special release, but if I'm always striking out at your store I'll probably shop somewhere else.

I would just say you ARE going to let your employees buy up a lot of the special releases at least keep it to yourselves. It's never good to tell a customer who missed out that your employees bought it all. Fundamentally, it doesn't make a difference who bought it, but the optics aren't good.
  28. KevinGordon

KevinGordon Member

we've been open for years and doing pretty awesome, dude.
  29. xanok

xanok Member

Remind me not to shop at your store.
    vurt, draheim and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  30. JoeyDankNug

JoeyDankNug Member

This is why the normal guy can't get beer.this is everything that's wrong with today's beer marketplace.people buy cases of shit just to say they have it
    zach60614 and OneBeertoRTA like this.
  31. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Member

Thinking you have more right to purchase a beer than an employee that works at the store is a major entitlement issue here. And that's what this thread should really be about. If an employee pays retail price for a limited release and abides by any and all bottle limits, who cares? They're the ones that load/unload it, in some cases stock the shelves with it, and answer hundreds of annoying phone calls about it, give them a break.

Maybe you just have to have had worked in retail to understand this concept.
    MrHolland10, KevinGordon and nanobrew like this.
  32. GeddyLeeRocks

GeddyLeeRocks Member

At my store, employees pay the exact same as the public. Employees are customers. they wait in line and pay with the same dollar bills as the public. When we count the till at the end of the day, we can't tell an employees $20 from one that you spent. At my store, we have no time for hoarding, entitled whiners! (Employees or the public). We don't allow employees to buy limited releases until at least a month after release. So, that basically means no sales to them. The only reason for this rule is to shut people the hell up!
    Giovannilucano and JoeyDankNug like this.
  33. RBCORCORAN

RBCORCORAN Member

I should have mentioned that my post wasn't aimed at anyone in particular ,but everyone in general. Every release someone gets upset.
    A while back there was a post about someone chasing trucks for days to grab bottles and another about someone pitching a lawnchair and sitting outside the store hours before it opened . Maybe it's an age thing but it will be a cold day in hell before I put that much effort into buying a bottle or two.
    While we're on the subject should employees of the brewery be allowed to purchase limited releases ??
    cactusleon likes this.
  34. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Member

It doesn't sound like you have the correct disposition for retail. Perhaps you should re-think your career path.
  35. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Member

It would depend on the brewery. If you are attached in any way to the making of the beer, absolutely. If you are a permanent full time employee absolutely. If it's a brewery only release with ample supply, absolutely.

In the above case, many stores get a single case and it may not hit the shelves at all. If it's a brewery release (created by the local team) I'm guessing there is quite a bit and the ratio of employee bottles to customers is trivial at best.
  36. nanobrew

nanobrew Member

I usually do not agree with you, but this time I agree.

The employees are people and possibly craft beer fans too. They should be allowed to buy some beer. If that leaves customers with none, that is a risky thing the manager needs to figure out as you will loose customers solely because you never have limited releases (whether because you sell out fast, do not order it, or keep it all for employees) for whatever reason.
  37. KevinGordon

KevinGordon Member

omg how many times did I say we dont hoard. its not fair for you all to think we dont even deserve 1 bottle for all the crap we gotta deal with. go apply for a part time job and get yours too. I've given many customers bottles that I was saving. I go out of my way to make my customers happy. but you'll never please 100% of the people 100% of the time. Everyone here (including myself) has entitlement issues here.
    All I'm sayin is we as employees deserve something, you're saying we deserve nothing.
    we're never going to agree.
    RBCORCORAN and nanobrew like this.
  38. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Member

Wait... hold on a second. You got this backwards. Are you really claiming the performing of the most basic and primary functions of your job is grounds for special treatment over the customers that pay the bills? Now there is your entitlement buddy.
    zach60614, draheim and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  39. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Member

You deserve something other than your pay check for doing your job?
    Now who has entitlement issues?
    vurt, draheim and xanok like this.
  40. beerassociate

beerassociate Member

what store in NJ?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.