1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Employees buying up limited releases

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cactusleon, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slim2043

slim2043 Savant (385) Connecticut Jul 23, 2012

A store near me is completely biased on what they put on the floor and who they let buy limited stuff. My buddy shops there and they tell him what comes in and he gets to buy it etc etc. I don't shop there often because they charge like 2-3 bucks more per for everything and I think it's ridiculous. But when I do go they pretend to not know what Im talking about when I ask for anything limited and since they keep it all in the back I can't do anything about it... Except not shop there which is my course of action. They are young guys so I guess it is what it is and not having ethics or morales is fine w them. I will continue to shop down the street and save a few bucks even if I can't get any Palate Wrecker!!!
  2. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

I'd be curious to know how many of you here (and customers in general) will make additional purchases at a store when you show up to buy a limited release. For me, I always will unless it is a big faceless shop like Total Wine. That's a pretty good reason to keep employees from buying it, you might be missing out on additional business from the customers. I don't care one way or another, really, but I'd say a good rule of thumb for a store owner would be to let employees buy some of the limited stuff, unless you get 12 or fewer bottles of it. Nobody is going to miss out if the employees buy a few bottles from a 2 or 3 case allocation, but it would be pretty weak to sell, say, your entire 6 bottle allocation of Stille Nacht Reserva to your employees.
    KevinGordon and OneBeertoRTA like this.
  3. if you are referring to me in my original post, im not gonna say in here but if u want to message me ill let u know, cause it sounds like im bad mouthing them when im not, its my go to store and im very happy with them
  4. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

So being able to purchase beer at the assigned limits and paying retail price for it is special treatment? You're either kidding, delusional, or didn't properly read my post. They're people and possibly craft beer fans like you and me, and you telling them you should have to be able to buy beer before them is entitlement...buddy.
  5. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

All of this.
    Thanks and well put!
  6. xanok

xanok Savant (395) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

Openly admitting that you don't abide by your store purchase limits is going to piss a lot of people off. Some people can't even get one bottle or sixer of a limited release, and you're openly telling people that you take two sometimes.
  7. i think hes saying that the employees that think they should get it first because they are talking to all these customers, loading the shelves etc its entitlement, when in reality they are doing their job, and one they applied for, so why should they get special treatment for that
  8. This falls along the same argument of the employee hoarding. It sounds like you have no intention of building a relationship with the store nor frequent them on a routine basis.
    One of my favorite stores does the Facebook thing and so many new wave guys come in and buy the one limited bottle. I have never bought just one bottle, I feel that a store with the relationships to pull in these beers deserves some good will back. They wouldn't get these beers if guys like me didn't buy their shelf IPAs and stouts by the case.

On the flip side, one of my local stores has a great beer manager. Let's call him Josh...

When I show up and am filling my basket, if he's around he will go in the back and grab me a bottle or two of Alpine or Pliny and let me know about other new limited items like Utopias. I frequent the store, have built a repor and he rewards me when limited products are around.

He does the same to many other customers. If you are simply a picker you don't deserve anything imho.
    Smurf2055 likes this.
  9. Catchy_Name

Long as an employee isn't using his advantages and purchasing stuff way over limit AND getting it all at a discount, who cares? Long as he pays the same $15 for Sucaba I do, and as long as he takes his 1 bottle limit just like I do, how is he/she different than me? My money isn't more valuable...
  10. When u run a business u will do anything to get people to come into your business.when people come in for 1 thing they usually buy another thing as well.if they notice you don't ever have limited releases they will stop coming in.its simple.there are ways to be good to your employees without giving them all of your limited beers.this is all just crazy.a small portion depending on how much u get,sure but save a majority for customers.without them u don't need employees
  11. Seriously? Do everyday customers know exactly when a shipment is to arrive, personally receives the case(s) and holds the power to place on the shelf for general sale? No I don't believe that's special treatment or an advantage over traditional customers.
  12. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

13. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

If I got a case of Fou'Foune, I wouldn't allow any staff to buy bottles. If I got a couple cases of Hopslam, I would allow the staff to grab a 6-pack if they want.

One time I went into a store to get some Parabola. I called before I left and they said they had 4 left. When I got there, they said they were holding those 4 for a staff member. I thought that was wrong on many levels.
  14. Errto

Errto Savant (305) Connecticut Oct 20, 2009

May be worth it's own poll :)

But in my case, yes, always. It's never a one-and-done on the "special" stuff.
    cactusleon likes this.
  15. Catchy_Name

If you do your homework you will at least have an idea. I'm currently waiting for 2 stores in my area to get Barrel Aged Bigfoot so I call them 2-3 times throughout the day. So if I still manage to miss out on it, then so what? I don't believe I am owed the opportunity to buy it because I'm a Sierra Nevada fan. I may get it I may not, either way, I won't lose sleep because there's so many other beers for me to buy and I don't have an inflated entitlement issue. And as I said multiple times, long as they are abiding by the same rules placed on us as customers, there's nothing wrong with it. I can chalk knowing when a shipment is coming in up as simply a perk of the job. You want that same advantage? Work at that store.
  16. Wrong or right it's a bad business decision to let your employees "buy up" all your limited beers.
  17. I never leave with just one thing. I almost always find a few things that interest me enough to buy them.
    If I came in looking for _______, I would most likely buy that and a case of other stuff.
    Giovannilucano and cactusleon like this.
  18. This sums it all up.
  19. I went to the store today looking for more founders imperial stout.when none was left I bought 2 bottles of Maine beer.yes,I run a bar,deal with all local distributors but still goto the store to buy beer occasionally,if I just want 1 or 2 bottles
  20. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Highly beer-conscious customers are a smaller % of people, but they probably do spend significantly more per-person than non-highly-beer-conscious customers. I'm not saying that disproves your point, but it's worth noting.
  21. Errto

Uh...no. You're saying you as an employee should have access to "purchase beer at the assigned limits and paying retail price for it" _before_ anyone in the general public has that access. That's most certainly special treatment.
    OneBeertoRTA and cactusleon like this.
  22. Case in point. I had ordered the case of Verdi, which I knew was going to cost me, but I bought a 24 case of 60 IPA, as well as a special Italian, 3 Beans and other one shots to keep me exploring my palate. When I got rang out, I was happy to find out I did indeed get a discount for the Verdi without asking, nor did I really want one but the beer manager thought of me even though he went on vacation!
  23. Catchy_Name

F
    I think you're assuming too much. If a place sells their employee stuff out of the back stock room before it hits the floor, then sure that's not good. But if an employee happens to be working when cases of special stuff hit the sales floor, how is that different from a non-employee that happened to be in the store at the exact same time?
  24. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

A large local chain here recently received a very small allocation (1 case; 12 bottles) of a highly desirable annual release beer. When a customer went into the store on the day that said beer arrived, he was told that it never even came out of the back room, because all 12 bottles had been sold to store employees (not just from the beer section, but employees who have nothing to do with the beer as well) and none would be available to customers.

To me, that rubs the wrong way. I know they can sell their beer to whomever they want, and I've read this whole thread so I know all the arguments, but on a personal level, I think less of that store now in terms of their desire to build a relationship with their customers, and it will drop down my list of places to frequent because of it.
  25. Errto

It's not, but I'm pretty sure that's not what this thread is about, for the most part, anyway.
    cactusleon likes this.
  26. now this is a different situation then i faced, the beer as far as i know never hit the shelves, and i believe they had some in the back cause one of the workers was about to get me a 6, but then he went to the back and had a talk then came out saying theres none available, now i dont know if they were on hold or paid for, but he did say employees got to it first, which is fine if they bought it, and i know they keep those releases in the back, and customers put them on hold, i just dont like the employees putting them on hold when i am there ready to pay
  27. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

Don't think that happens at at least 3 of the 4 shops I frequent. Ex. Barrel-aged bigfoot. I was in 2 of the shops just after their allotment arrived (6 bottles), and saw several waiting for customer purchase. The last shop always seems to be "sold out" of rare beers. Could be my unlucky timing, or perhaps employee hoarding. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt....
  28. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Employees are customers too.
    Smurf2055 likes this.
  29. aasher

Not even if they paid the normal price? That's lunacy.
  30. Catchy_Name

Employees being able to place limited releases on hold when I as a customer am not allowed to is shitty. But if we both can, I'm fine with it. A store that keeps anything other than their own personal stash in the back when there is room on the floor for it is shit and I won't shop there. There would be no reason to hide Lagunitas Sucks in the back, if there is room on the shelves, that's where I belongs so everyone can see it. We are in agreement on these things no doubt.
  31. if theyre off the clock i dont see why this shouldnt be allowed, obviously this is different then at a beer store where ur not drinking on the job
  32. At normal price yes.when not working and after a day or 2 but I would much rather my customers try it.they build my business.my bartenders make hundreds of dollars a night,trust me they have no problem with it and totally understand.a sip to try it sure but they aren't getting together at the end of their shift and drinking it.its for the people!!!!
    OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  33. aasher

Productivity would plummet if employees were allowed to drink BCBS on the clock
    cactusleon likes this.
  34. i dont think it ever made the shelf, like i said it was gone within 24 hours, now i didnt go into details with the store, but i dont know if it was gone because there was little left for the customer after the employees got a hold of it, or what but my policy if i ran a store would be my employees can buy it, if they dont have the money or cant buy it right away they can put it on hold but if its asked for by a customer, u lose it, thats just me tho i know every store does it diferently
  35. Do u want people to work for you to help your business grow?or do you want people who work to get early access to limited beers?if you worked for me just to get access to limited beer I would fire your bum ass
    OneBeertoRTA and cactusleon like this.
  36. Catchy_Name

Yeah I think that works in most cases. But for me it would go on a case by case basis depending on how limited something was, whether my stock could be replenished, and the demand for it. I would accommodate my employees if I could and yea if someone was ready to purchase my last bottle of something and my employee couldn't, then yeah, it's sold.
    cactusleon likes this.
  37. thats what im getting from some of the ppl here who work at a beer store or in retail, they hate their job, everything about it, yet they think they deserve a perk for doing the job they applied to do
  38. I would rather hire someone who knew little about beer and have the beer than a bunch of beer nerds who buy all the beer.thenpeople who buy these beers know exaactly what they want anyway.they don't want "salesman"
    OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  39. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

That's just shitty. :) let them have one
  40. aasher

Those two statements are not connected
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.