1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Employees buying up limited releases

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cactusleon, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hokiechef

hokiechef Member

Where I work if its really limited (12btls etc) employees who are working when it comes in (2 maybe 3 people) can get the same allocation as anyone else, usually 1 bottle. Employees not working are free to come in and get a bottle just like any other customer.

As for employees having special inside knowledge that enables them to come on the right day and time... if you don't think 12 non-employee customers also know this you are out of your mind! You wait around until after 5 on a limited release day, sorry its all gone. Even if employees don't get any its still all gone.

I know this is not the exact scenario the OP posted.
    ncaudle and aasher like this.
  2. ChefHopMeister

ChefHopMeister Member

Come on, not even a 2 oz. teaser sample while on duty or a standard pour they pay for off duty?
  3. nachos

nachos Member

This thread totally makes me want to work at a liquor store and then start hiding all the limited items from you entitled nerds.
    BGrider85, davemike2112, LMT and 2 others like this.
  4. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Member

Regardless of how you deal with limited releases, SOMEONE is always going to be angry. We started doing a raffle system for limited releases. We send out an email to our beer club members, and they respond if they want their name thrown into the hat for the raffle. We then pick however many names out of a hat, then offer those people the chance to buy it. This prevents Super-tickers/the same people from getting every release. People are still mad. Oh well, what can you do? I encourage people to make friends so that whoever wins the raffle, they can still work out a way to share bottles with each other.
    KevinGordon, nanobrew and Nectar like this.
  5. Nectar

Nectar Member

Couldnt agree more. If a store just "interchanged" all of its "interchangable" employees, some of you would have a looooong list of legitimate things to bitch about. Cant stand when people just assume that all of retail is brainless work.
    BGrider85, YogiBeer and leedorham like this.
  6. hokiechef

hokiechef Member

One more thought, employees at stores where they are not allowed to get limited releases don't just say oh well I guess I won't get any, they go to another store and buy it. And the person who didn't come by at the exact right time still doesn't have any.
    KevinGordon likes this.
  7. draheim

draheim Member

That's about as fair a system as I can think of. Just goes to show, it's not possible to make everyone happy.
    Even if everyone got one bottle, some would complain that they didn't get two.
    YogiBeer likes this.
  8. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Member

There is so much awesome in this thread it's hard to comprehend
    YogiBeer and ShogoKawada like this.
  9. FEUO

FEUO Member

Interchangeables still need to be interviewed and coached on the job. If someone is having to restock the roster frequently they probably aren't hiring the right kind of "talent".
  10. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster Member

Or do a shit job as a manger and needs to be replaced.
    FEUO likes this.
  11. FEUO

FEUO Member

Thats pretty much what I was eluding to.
  12. Siggy125

Siggy125 Member

if you don't think 12 non-employee customers also know this you are out of your mind! Wait. How the hell do non-employees know this?? Is there a special website... www.insideinfowhenspecialreleasesarriveatyourbottleshop.com that I need to know about? Or are they camping out on the truck dock? Please educate me! I went into a Whole Foods for Sucaba one year and was told it never hit the shelves because employees bought it all when it arrived. C'mon now. I'm a little ignorant but....
    OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  13. hokiechef

hokiechef Member

Lots of ways! They talk to the stores, they read the internet, they call distributors, they follow the trucks, they talk to the brewery, the log into facebook, they read twitter, they camp out, they..... its really not all that hard if you put in even a little effort.

I can't think of a single beer released in my market that I have not been able to get even if its wasn't at my store (we don't get everything).
    YogiBeer likes this.
  14. nanobrew

nanobrew Member

the beer store I frequent does this for super limited stuff too, I really like it even though I have not won yet.
  15. draheim

draheim Member

Well, the camping out and chasing trucks is a bit extreme. Some of us have lives. But I've done most of the other things you've listed at one time or another, with similar results.

I think the guy you're responding to is saying that, if store employees buy all of a given beer as soon as it arrives, what's a poor schmuck to do. If that's actually true, I have to agree. If I found out that the employees at my local WFM had snagged every single bottle of a given beer, I'd be calling the store manager and urging everyone in my area to do the same.
  16. hokiechef

hokiechef Member

Now I will agree with you this is wrong, you can't let employees take everything.
    highdesertdrinker likes this.
  17. Naterobsnyk4

Naterobsnyk4 Member

QUIT NOW.
  18. beerborn

beerborn Member

It's been said in ways so I'll echo the call. If the employees are buying everything, the business isn't really losing business...they just have a customer base that also works there. Think about it, the beer gets sold either way for the same price (assuming employee discounts aren't in play I would imagine on limited releases), owner is happy.

I'm sure a good deal of BAs out there claim they leave stores that pull the one over on them, but would return in a heartbeat if they heard ______ limited release was being put on or currently sitting on their shelves.
  19. WineWorldMatt

WineWorldMatt Member

What store was this? Was it Wine World of East Brunswick?

Here when things are very hard to get we usually let the customers get first opportunity. I did not take any Sucks the first or second shipment that we received.

i do recall this happening, where someone asked me for Sucks and when i went to the back i was told that it was being held for ANOTHER CUSTOMER NOT AN EMPLOYEE.

I hope this helps.

At wine world we really try to take good care of our craft beer customers.
    YogiBeer likes this.
  20. Siggy125

Siggy125 Member

wow, I must really be behind the times. You damn youngsters :confused:
  21. WBD

WBD Member

I see both sides but I have to support the shops that allow their employees to get in the same line with the clients. Think about it. If they never taste than how can they become more knowledge?

I have found when you treat people with the respect they deserve then they will treat you right. Get on a first name basis with the folks....that got me hopslam this year. Slide the guy a twenty....it works. Invite them to a cook out and they bring better beer.

Tough sledding these days so treat all with respect.
    KevinGordon and PeterJ like this.
  22. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Member

Attitudes like this make me want to come to your bar. Hell, I'd buy a glass for your bartender if he was a good guy. I'm guessing these other guys speaking differently are just part timers and have no stake in the business. Kind of proves the interchangeable thing...
  23. SometimesIfart

SometimesIfart Member

The local craft beer store around here allows the employee's to buy as many bottles of a limited release as they want before they're even put on shelves.

Luckily, All of the workers there are 18-20 year old girls who care nothing about beer beyond bud light lime.
  24. craft_shannie

craft_shannie Member

that's what i did.
  25. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Member

This is a good post.

For non chain bottle shops, where I've got to know the owner/beer managers I would never just buy the one bottle. With all the choices out there I selected them because of their service, selection and occasional nice limited "want" available. Am I pissed this new wave of young Facebook watchers still in school snatches up the single bottles without buying anything else leaving me dry? A little. There is no perfect formula but a lot of independent stores may have something like 30% does 70% of the business and catering to the pickers isn't good business. Especially if the pickers are part time employees who snatch up 9 of the 12 bottles in a one case allocation. The owner and full timers can have their share, they are the ones who probably built the relationship with the suppliers in the first place.
  26. cactusleon

cactusleon Member

no, it was not wine world, i dont want to say the name in the thread because its a good store that i will continue to shop at, and its not meat to badmouth them, just wanted opinions on this type of situation
  27. WineWorldMatt

WineWorldMatt Member

Ok, just wanted to make sure because that story sounded familiar.
    You should come check us out. you will not be disappointed by the selection or the customer service.
  28. cactusleon

cactusleon Member

if im ever in the area for work ill stop by, is this the place i havve seen behind the best buy? or near it? or am i way off lol
  29. WineWorldMatt

WineWorldMatt Member

Not that place, but near it.
    We are around a mile south of Best Buy, right next to Dunkin Donuts. We're between Guitar Center and Sleepys.
    682 Route 18 North.
  30. cactusleon

cactusleon Member

i know exactly where it is, ill stop in next time im around
  31. WineWorldMatt

WineWorldMatt Member

Great! We have a nice selection, and get most of the tough-to-find allocated beers.
    Another great plus is that we have a make-your-own 6 pack wall. It's a great way to try new beer! We have a bunch of employees who are really passionate craft beer drinkers so we know our stuff and can give recommendations, and help out.
  32. Brokentalontsi

Brokentalontsi Member

My distributor sales a few fairly desirable limited releases, soon to sale the rest of GI, southern tier and FFF... I don't get any preferential treatment at retailers "so to speak" I just happen to know where beer shows up from us and everyone else and have a chance to buy it before others. One of my accounts got 1 case of oak aged espresso yeti and I happened to be there when the truck came in. That account sales 2000+ cases of beer a week...

Ultimately, those of us who work in the beer business are going to get more chances to obtain limited releases than anyone else. We have better relationships with the accounts than just about everyone else... Just the way the world works. If I can help an account get BA Bigfoot, they are more likely to hold a bottle of something for me...
  33. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

I have no problems with employee's getting first dibs on releases. My problem with this is when these limited releases are still "stashed" 6 months after the beer has come and gone. If you can't buy it within a 2 paycheck period, then put the beer on the shelf.
  34. KevinGordon

KevinGordon Member

fair enough. although I wasn't terribly specific, if we just got 1 case of something be it 12 bottles, 4 6-packs or 6 4-packs, I wouldnt do that, because you're right, it would be wrong of me. And I would abide the store policy on something that small and limited. On the other hand if we got a larger stock, say 20-30 cases, I would be more inclined to take an extra
  35. jmccullough108

jmccullough108 Member

Simple, as most people have said here, employees should have the same limits as customers. Especially since they have first dibs on it.
  36. KevinGordon

KevinGordon Member

Dude something is wrong with you. To say that as a beer lover, I should not be allowed to purchase even one bottle simply because I work there is absurd. Ridiculous. Preposterous.
    That I should not be allowed to enjoy something that I've been waiting for just as long and as patiently as everyone else, only for the reason that I work there is just a fantastic journey of selfishness on your part.
    I would happily buy an extra bottle just to make sure a crybaby like you couldn't have yours
    BGrider85 likes this.
  37. KevinGordon

KevinGordon Member

I'm so sorry you're scarred for life cause you had to wait 2 weeks to have your very own Air Jordans. We cant all live in your ideal retail utopia.
    Hey guess what. I love beer. I work at a store that sells beer.
    Therefore.
    I'm going to buy beer.
    Dealing with crazy general public, busting my ass on a daily basis, and dealing with elitist pricks gives me the right to buy a special release when it comes out.
    Go cry about it.
    BGrider85 and terrapinfan88 like this.
  38. KevinGordon

KevinGordon Member

completely agree in this instance
  39. KevinGordon

KevinGordon Member

I completely agree. In this scenario that is totally wrong. Like I said before... If 12 bottles come in, 11 customers are getting one
  40. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Member

Dealing with the public (crazy or not) busting your ass and dealing with elitist pricks (I.e. the public) seems to be your job duties.
    It certainly entitles you to a pay check. I dont see how it entitles you to anything else.
    If you see your customers as crazy and elitist pigs, I think you should consider a different career path.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.