1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Employees buying up limited releases

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cactusleon, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MWAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

I just bought a case of Nugget Nectar that my store just got in today.

There is never a case limit for customers, though, and we got 10 cases of the stuff.

I honestly would feel bad if i bought all of the beer my store got for a release

2. Thats not what I said. I said the fact that you jockey a hand truck shouldn't entitle you to purchase limited releases before the customers.

zach60614 likes this.
  3. dglgmut

dglgmut Zealot (95) New Jersey Jul 12, 2012

I always abide by the bottle limit, maybe ill pick up two if I really wanna age a bottle. But packs are always one. It's just not right to other beer geeks out there. I don't care who calls BS. I hate customers who come in and buy out the shelf, it's just fucked up. I'm a beer geek and I'm very grateful for my position where I know what's coming in.

KevinGordon and YogiBeer like this.
  4. Enjoy it. NN is my favorite. It should hit my area this Thursday. I am looking forward to picking up a couple of cases.

YogiBeer likes this.
  5. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Savant (300) Virginia Nov 15, 2009

I buy the allocations set for customers and when we pull it off limited quantities sometimes I get more sometimes I don't. The reality is the people who work at these place also love beer. At least in my state all the products are payed for in cash by the bossman before we can sell them, and he can do what he wishes with the goods he purchased. Some store owners allow employees to abuse that and some don't employees should put the customer over themselves MOST of the time. Like I said most of them love beer as well, not only that but you have to have had a beer to sell it effectively to customers. Unfortunately no matter what there policy retailers are under a lot of scrutiny and will NEVER please everyone but, its all a matter of how customers are treated.

If I have a personal six of Hopslam in the back I may give someone a single out of my six pack. Or I may just say we are sold out. Sometimes I decide I'm not gonna have enough money/time to drink what I have on layaway and put it on the shelf.

YogiBeer likes this.
  6. no, you did say that. You said exactly that. You said exactly those words. I said what happens when 12 bottles come in? You said sell all 12. That employees should not be allowed to buy even one.
    Speaking of elitist pricks..

7. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

I've seen you and other people put this opinion forth numerous times in this thread. Why do you think that because people work at liquor stores they are uneducated and have a crappy job? I for one am proud to say I'm a beer guy for some stores. Do I make a ton of money? Lord no, but I work hard every day studying my product, getting my store ready and hand selling my product because I want to actually move up in this industry. We are not all peons who just throw boxes around all day. I do appreciate the elitist opinion you and others have had for awhile, but I'm going to keep studying my beer so I can be at the top of something that you only call a hobby.

YogiBeer and KevinGordon like this.
  8. An employee is no 'worse' than the guy who refreshes Facebook on delivery day every 3 minutes or calls the place countless times before stuff is released. No worse than the dude who buys cases of a limited release. No worse than the guy who gets his gf and two friends to get him extra allotments because good enough isn't good enough.

Blanco, YogiBeer and KevinGordon like this.
  9. antilite

antilite Aficionado (160) Florida Jan 1, 2012

People who go out to eat are unhappy, but normal? Those who go to bars are abnormal, but happy? My God. I never realized. And what's wrong with an occasional douche? They facilitate my ejections.

zach60614 likes this.
  10. I've agreed with all the points about employees hoarding. If my store gets 12 bottles of CBS I'm going to buy 1 bottle. If you think I shouldn't buy 1 bottle just because I work there, then go fuck yourself. Seriously. If my store is gonna go bankrupt because I bought 1 bottle instead of a crybaby like Sammy, then it wasnt a good store to begin with. however my store is awesome. Dont hate the players. Hate the game.

11. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

I must have misunderstood your use of the term jockeying a cart. I suppose it was one of utmost reverence. Anyone who cannot find joy in selling craft beer to people chose the wrong industry. I personally love my job and know many many beer guys who do as well. The job does not suck, it just isn't for some people.

KevinGordon likes this.
  12. Are you the store owner? If the store owner lets you, fine. If he says "sell them all" and you still buy one, dick move, bro. Anyways, that wasn't my point. You said he's 100% wrong... He's not. Read what you want to read, man. You obviously are only here to bask in this hate you've created. But it's okay, we'll all forget about you tomorrow.

Nectar and KevinGordon like this.
  13. As I previously stated, I love my job. I love beer. I love buying great beer. I try to be fair to my customers all the time, but as I also said, you will never please 100% of the people 100% of the time. If I buy 1 bottle then 11 people will be happy instead of 12. That 12th person is going to be the moneymaker for my store? Earth to Sammy, LOTS of people are going to be disappointed that we sold out. Making that 1 extra person happy isnt a make or break situation. We dont even do lists or saves or callbacks or emails. First Come First Serve. Come get your shit. You snooze you lose. Simple as that.

And yes Shag, Sammy was being very derogatory towards people in this industry. He feels we should pacify crybabies like him at all times instead of ever being rewarded for our own hard work, research, and patience.

14. Someone used that rationale to explain not tipping well. That was great.

15. It's not like employees of beer stores are drinking the first couples sips of every beer you buy...(I realize that was a joke but it's the internet)

16. You don't think the staff asks the cooks to put together stuff the restaurant doesn't sell to the general public?

Those kinds of perks exist in every business except McDonald's, where they fire you for that. True story.

17. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

...So how do you guys feel about brewery employees getting access to every special release that the brewery puts out?

aasher and KevinGordon like this.
  18. its kinda funny, but mcdonalds is more successful than all of those restaurants lol

zach60614 likes this.
  19. well a brewery isnt a retail establishment, im all for them getting the beer they made or help make before everyone, its their own product, they also arent making all this beer and only having their employees get it

20. if you think no server or expediter or line cook has ever munched a fry or two off of your plate before it reaches your table, then you are smoking crack

21. You're drawing a completely artificial line.

22. well they may have but ive never went to a restaurant, ordered fries to have them tell me, yeah we got fries but hey are all spoken for by our employees

23. care to elaborate?

24. You're just saying it's different because it's a brewery because you say so.

25. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I am a Purdue University alum, the corporate beer buyer for my company, sell well over $1,000,000 worth of CRAFT, make record profits for my company, and make good money myself. I also can afford to spend over $3,000 a year at my stores, which makes me a pretty big customer.

#justahandtruckjockey

Shagtastic, YogiBeer and KevinGordon like this.
  26. no im saying its different because its its a brewery cause thats my opinion and thats what he asked for, and i gave reasons why i believe that way

27. OP, what would you of rather had from that store? At least the guy was honest. He could of just told you it was all gone and he did not realize it until he went into the back room. You went into what is not a "mom and pop store", a business day after it was delivered 8 six-packs of a really good beer at an affordable price. How long did you expect them to last?

Cheers.

28. dude seriously. I've completely agreed that employees should never hoard ALL the supply.
    You're right. We shouldnt and we don't at my store. Theres only a couple of us who want or can afford anything special anyways. The Whole Foods example is a great example of what should not happen. But at the same time, dedicated beer nerds should be able to get their fair share along with the rest of the customer base. The fact that we work in the industry should not be a dis-qualifier.

My ass is going to bed.
    Later.

29. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

If an employee is not allowed to buy the beer they receive at their store (employees are customers too), and it is something they want, they will go to other places to try to get it and put money directly into the hands of their competition. Just some food for thought.

30. i wasnt expecting it to be there, i already stated in the thread i shouldnt have waited the extra day, i just figured i would ask while i was in the store and he said he had it, then pretty much said its gone, i understood completely, its a good store that i visit frequently, i just wanted to know opinions on how others feel sabout situations like this that are even probably much worse than mine, that happen more often

31. my main problem isnt with employees buying the beer, while i would be against hoarding, i am just against the employee holding it if u have a paying customer ready to buy it

32. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Having read all nine pages of this thread, I have completely changed my position on this issue.
    As of this moment I no longer give a flying fuck.

SammyJaxxxx, JulianB, LMT and 5 others like this.
  33. megamass

megamass Savant (350) New Jersey Oct 30, 2008

I agree with this 100%

YogiBeer likes this.
  34. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

That's because it's an undeniable fact. But it changes nothing. The beers we're talking about are going to sell 100%.
    This isn't about where the money's coming from, it's about where the beer is going.

vurt and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  35. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

I work at a restaurant actually, for 3 years. It has never happened where I work. BUT I am fully aware of terrible employees out there. It's one of the reasons why I only go to "mom and pop" restaurants.

On the occasional blue moon, we get have a bite or two of a special for dinner. That is about it.

Having said all of this, If i worked at a Bevmo that only got 2 cases of Sucks, I'm sure I'd attempt to at least get a six pack. Probably on my off time though.

Good thing It's in abundance here in Nor Cal =}

36. channels321

channels321 Savant (275) Texas Apr 16, 2012

Nobody, customer or employee, should ever be able to buy a limited release beer until after I have had the opportunity to buy it first. I am entitled to get everything.;)

No but seriously I have no problem if an employee wants to buy a limited beer before it hits the shelves. As long as they are paying the same and following the same allocations as I am I do not see a problem, they love beer and want to try things just like I do.

And this as well vvvvvv

YogiBeer likes this.
  37. MinnesotaMoon

MinnesotaMoon Zealot (80) Minnesota Jan 15, 2013

Working at a bottle shop has to have perks: get the jump on delivery dates is one of them. I have no problem with that. An owner has to keep the balance of happy employees and happy customers-not an easy task sometimes. As a customer if there is a bottle you really want you have to have many sources scouted out and better your odds of getting one. You cannot and should not ever feel it is your right to have first dibs b/c you are the customer. World does not work like that. Sometimes you get it sometimes you don't... It's just beer and there are a ton of great ones out there. My humble suggestion is either trade for the stuff you could not get or hope your buddies will share with you or apply for a job to get the beer perks.

YogiBeer likes this.
  38. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Yes, a brewery is definitely a retail establishment.

39. megamass

megamass Savant (350) New Jersey Oct 30, 2008

I am against employees buying all/hoarding special releases but they are customers too. Employees have ever right to get these special releases but also the stores should have a responsabilty to get them special beers to customers. Employees have an inside edge but thats just how it is some might not think its fair.

40. You know why I work part-time at a bottle shop? Here's a hint: It's not for the $8.50 an hour.

YogiBeer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.