Employees buying up limited releases

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cactusleon, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. its debatable, but they are the manufacturers of the beer, they ship it out to retail stores or wholesalers, now if that brewery has a retail shop on premis, thats a different story, but technically the brewery itself isnt retail, i guess also it depends on which brewery

2. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Most beer nerds who work in beer stores are just that... beer nerds. To follow this beer nerd logic, they (probably) spend way more money than people who cherry pick bottle shops for special releases. Should they buy up all special allocated releases? Hell no. Should we hate on them for dedicating their working lives to helping us find, and appreciate great craft beer? No. Should we love them for throwing themselves passionately into the pursuit of the best beers (that they, USUALLY, do a great job of informing the general public on flops?) Yes.

KevinGordon likes this.
  3. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

It isn't debatable. Why is one perk okay, while the other isn't?

4. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

No, but it has to do with the policy debate. It should be in a shops best interest to allow employees to have an allocation. They shouldn't be entitled to more than any other customer, and they shouldn't get privileges that regular customers don't get. They should be treated as just another customer.

YogiBeer likes this.
  5. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Wow, I had no idea this thread contained something as elevated as a "policy debate." ;)

I'm all for stores allowing their employees to buy a certain percentage of these sought-after beers as a benefit of working there. And as I mentioned at 9 o'clock this morning, I think it could even be used as an incentive for better customer service, productivity, etc. But I oppose (and I think you do too) what the OP and a few other posters described: when employees buy up a majority or all of a given beer before customers ever get a shot at it. I think that in reality this is probably pretty rare, but it must happen occasionally (or people wouldn't talk about it on the interwebz).

But here's the rub. As a practical matter, simply saying employees "should be treated as just another customer" doesn't work. They're in the store all day, they know when the beer is delivered, they have co-workers to look out for them even when they're off. So they inherently get privileges other regular customers don't get. There's no way around that. Life's unfair, that's just the way it is. But it serves no purpose to pretend otherwise.

6. I work at a bottle shop and I pay full price for my bottles. If we get uber limited bottles I can assure you I don't go outside the allocation. We only got 1 case of Logsdon Peche and Brett and I was only able to get one bottle. To me employees buying bottles is not different than bottle hunters hitting every shop in town. If you had the chance you would exploit it to.

7. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

I do like the idea of rewarding hardworking employees, but it's kind of hard to judge that sort of thing. Another idea I had is to share a single limited bottle at an event where all employees are present, so the all get to taste it.

Yes they do get an edge on the rare releases. There's no denying that. It seems that a few of the people in the thread (myself included) chalk it up as one of the "perks" of having the job. It's when those "perks" become greater than that of any other customer that it becomes a problem, and that is what I was referring too. They shouldn't get treated any better or worse than a regular customer as far allocations. The advantages they get from "knowing when the shipments arrive" are somewhat negligible. It's usually not hard to figure out delivery schedules for stores, and you can usually call stores to ask when a certain beer gets in (or when the distributor says they should get it in).

But yes, completely agree the situation OP described is unfortunate. I would be upset as well.

8. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

I think a lot of people are forgetting that its just beer. Resorting to name-calling on the internet doesn't help to prove your point any better...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.