1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Empty Growlers in Carry-On Bag

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by gory4d, Feb 18, 2013.

1. gory4d

gory4d Advocate (505) New York Apr 14, 2007

I've been trying to figure out whether it's permissible to bring an empty 64-oz. growler through airport security in a carry-on bag. The TSA site isn't helpful. Anybody have any insight here? Thanks!

2. dont think you can carry on glass that big
    i would call the airline to make sure but would plan on checking it in

3. jampics2

jampics2 Advocate (730) Ohio Dec 19, 2008

Had an empty growler in my carry-on flying out of San Diego this summer and had no issues but also wasn't sure and I was prepared to throw it out if necessary

AlaskanYoung likes this.
  4. I'm sure you'd be fine. I'd take it out, or have it on top, without the cap on when you go through security. I take a couple empty large Nalgene bottles through all the time. It's the liquid, not the container that TSA cares about.

flexabull, frankthetank86 and gpawned like this.
  5. I would play it safe and mail it.

6. Why would you mail an empty growler?

RobertColianni likes this.
  7. I've carried empty bottles without any issue, so having glass in a smaller format apparently is not an issue, but I've never carried a growler.

8. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (455) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Two thoughts/questions:

1. Why would the TSA care about an empty glass jug in your carry on?

2. Why would you bother flying with an empty growler rather than simply buying one from whichever brewery you plan to get it filled at?

9. If you're worried about TSA confiscating it, and then you don't have to pack and carry it.

When I went to California, I mailed my empty wine shipper box to the hotel, then shopped, filled it, and shipped it back home.

JustXBeer likes this.
  10. I flew internationally with a glass boot once. They pulled it out and checked it, but it was fine.

luwak and gpawned like this.
  11. I guess I would just buy a growler at my destination, or just check the bag. Same with the wine shipper. Those are easy to find in CA

12. gory4d

On 1., they seem to care out every other damn thing.

On 2., I have enough growlers already. Probably just doing that, though, will be the least hassle.

FlyingKelly likes this.
  13. As long as it's empty there is no issue. Just like bringing a Vase or or any glass object. I just flew last week with an empty CCB growler and have done so in the past with no questions asked.

14. Just pack it and see. I despise the TSA. I'd take it just to see what sort of illogical explanation they'd try and give if they decided to confiscate the growler.

15. Scotchboy

Scotchboy Advocate (500) Idaho Dec 7, 2010

My first thought was 'Sir, because it can be broken and used as a weapon'. Maybe I'm too paranoid.

But definitely agree with FishPond that TSA is really just interested in the liquid...

ETA: Just to clarify; I'm not paranoid of the hypothetical broken glass-knife; rather I'm paranoid that TSA will think of anything to screw with the traveling public.

AnotherImperial likes this.
  16. Call the airport directly. That's what I did when I wasn't sure about bringing coffee grounds back from Portland (which they allowed, by the way).

17. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

No problems.

18. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

I've carried empty 32oz half growlers in my carry-on with no problem.

19. i work for an airline and travel all the time. you should see what these dominicans bring through the airporto_O. its ok you can bring it through security i swear.i brought my stone growlers through tsa its fine.

ChefHopMeister, luwak and Lantern like this.
  20. That's exactly the kind of dumbass response I'd expect from the TSA

Scotchboy likes this.
  21. Douberd

Douberd Savant (320) Netherlands Jan 27, 2012

If I was TSA I would confiscate it, what if you break it on board and make a knife out of a big glass shard?

CORKSCREWFISH and jrnyc like this.
  22. gory4d

Like I said, I have too many growlers - so I may just bring one, and if they take it, so it goes. I'll report back the result.

23. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

If you break it, it could be used as a weapon. Sounds lame, but true.

CORKSCREWFISH likes this.
  24. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

its fine. think duty free stuff, large bottles of liquor fly every day. Dont worry about it.

25. THECPJ

THECPJ Savant (455) Montserrat Jul 31, 2010

Carried empty growler from Chicago to Baltimore no problems.

26. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (455) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Everything becomes a potential weapon once you start thinking like that. You could just as easily stab someone with a ball point pen or your car key.

Lantern likes this.
  27. Lare453

Glass is a little more effective though because it becomes an edged weapon, not just a poking stab tool.

28. crusian

doesnt matter. Duty free liquor is on the plane. in glass.

29. pjs234

pjs234 Advocate (670) Connecticut Jun 29, 2008

Seems like people have done what you are asking about before with no issue. Just go for it. What's the worst that could happen, they don't let you bring it on? Big deal, they cost $4.

30. gory4d

My thoughts precisely. I was just interested in avoiding any hassle with the TSA.

31. Lare453

Easy tiger.

32. pjs234

pjs234 Advocate (670) Connecticut Jun 29, 2008

I doubt it would be a hassle... i see it going something like TSA: "You can't bring this on the plan" You: "Ok, thanks" They have been pretty reasonable, even with liquids. I saw them give one person the option of leaving it behind or returning it to their car.

33. If TSA starts to say anything, maybe you can just say something about you know you can't take more than 3 oz. of liquid so you emptied it. They're probably easily distractible, and would then focus on the fact that it was empty over the fact that it was glass, etc.

34. beefmental

beefmental Aficionado (215) Iowa May 26, 2005

I fly routinely back and forth to Portland with my Deschutes growler with no problems.

35. crusian

Plus you can fill that growler in portland airport, then take it on the plane!!!

36. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

I brought like 6 empty Alpine growlers on a Southwest flight no problem. You are good man.

37. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

I do not miss the TSA at all.
    Went to Adelaide over the weekend and in my carry on was a 6 pack of beer. Good times.

38. You can't bring a knife onto a plane , a broken bottle can serve as a knife, i guess.

39. MrDanno96

MrDanno96 Savant (370) Ohio Aug 26, 2009

I would say the broken-glass knife is a pretty legitimate concern. I mean, it's a lot more dangerous than plastic utensils and look what happened with those...

I'm not a huge fan of TSA either, but I wouldn't really blame them for preventing you from bringing it on board.

40. archey

archey Aficionado (185) California Apr 22, 2010

I brought 2 empty 2L growlers in my carry-on luggage last week without incident.