1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Empty Growlers in Carry-On Bag

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by gory4d, Feb 18, 2013.

1. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

yeah, I don't put anything past them. They once demanded that I not only take off my sandals, but also spread my toes. Really? what can I hide between my toes? Then again, if others have done it, it's likely worth a shot.

2. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

TSA confiscated my wrist wraps (for working out), claiming they could be used as a weapon. o_O

I wouldn't put anything past them any more. I'm sure a 2 lb. glass jar could do a lot more damage than 2 oz. of canvas that is 10 inches long by 2 inches wide.

3. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

What happened to them? they just dont give them to coach. though, the knife in first is still plastic, lol.

4. johnnyboy76

johnnyboy76 Savant (325) Oregon Nov 20, 2010

I packed, a full growler of pliny on my my way from oregon to minnesota last summer without any issues. Its not against the law to travel with beer. You just need to have it on a checked bag, not a carry on. Unless you buy the beer at a gift shop on the other side of the airport security gate. As for the growler, I figured they would want to see what the bulbous thing was in my bag, so I have TSA locks on that they can get into and check it out. Upon my arrival, I looked in the bag and there indeed there was a TSA inspection tag ,saying they were in the bag. No worries. Just pack it in some clothes and make sure its sealed tight.

5. joel66

joel66 Savant (455) New York Sep 1, 2012

Tsa allows you to have two 750ml bottles on carry on as long as they are sealed, growlers not allowed. You won't have any issues bringing the empty glass , however if planning to bring a filled growler back i would advise to ship. They took a growler out of my checked baggage for inspection and drain poured it. I asked why and they said it didn't have a proper seal. Flip top tied with electrical tape.

6. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

wow. such misinformation.

7. I echo alot of the input. Was in CA a few weeks ago and brought back an empty Russian River growler in my backpack with no problems whatsoever, all they care about is whether or not there's liquid in it.

8. Sixam2

Sixam2 Aficionado (110) Washington Feb 19, 2013

I fly weekly and collect Growlers.. As long as it's empty you can definitely 'carry on'.. When I come across a beer I just have to take home, then I fill it, and simply check my bag.. Good beer is worth the travel !

9. Geno78

Geno78 Aficionado (215) Ohio Apr 1, 2010

If they ask you what it's for, tell them you don't trust airplane toilets.