1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

End of Season Beers on Sale

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jcb7472, Mar 7, 2013.

1. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (445) Florida Jul 13, 2011

Do you guys buy these? Back in November I bought a 12-pk of Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale for $6.99 and the taste had faded and flavor was sub-par. I'm pretty sure it was because it had been bottled in August. I told myself to only buy the freshest beer my store has from now on, unless it's a style that is good to cellar or age. For example, I drink a lot of IPAs and I always make sure it was bottled within the last month or so.

Now the same store is advertising Terrapin Moo-Hoo Stout and Wake 'N Bake Stout 4-pk for $3.99. I'm thinking of going there today and getting a 4 pack of the Wake 'N Bake. It's an Imperial Stout, so there should be no problems with the taste. Right? What do you all think?

2. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

$3.99? I say load the F up on both!

3. evilcatfish

One of my local bottle shops always marks down all the Christmas beers right after the Holiday and I always buy a bunch.

rauchfest likes this.
  4. I was able to get both of those brews in a trade with SammyJaxxxx (thanks again man!) and I can attest that they are both excellent brews. They are well worth that price. If I saw that up my way my jaw would hit the floor.

5. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

Depending on the style of beer, absolutely. I'd buy up both of the ones you mentioned.

5thOhio likes this.
  6. evilcatfish

And send me some...

7. jcb7472

Thanks guys. I am probably going to buy a couple of 4-packs of both the Terrapin stouts. For 20 bucks I can get 16 of these beers and it's actually winter-ish this week in South Florida (temps in the 50s :).

They are also advertising 18oz bottles of Sam Smith Winter Welcome for 99 cents. Not sure about that one.

8. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (545) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

i saw sierra nevada hoptimum 4 packs for 5.99 here

9. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

$3.99 for WnB?! :eek::eek::eek: I'd take a case.

10. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (290) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

Depends on what they are. Wake N Bake and Moo Hoo, absolutely! I got a 6 pack of Ipswich Harvest a couple months ago for $1.99 and it was delicious.

11. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Savant (385) California Nov 7, 2011

Those sound like some great bargains.Great score on the terrapin.

12. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

I know that I found 4-packs of Bell's Java Stout last year @ Total Wine for what I'd call "dirt cheap" end of season prices.

I told friend of mine, who happens to be a beer merchant at a small shop, that I had picked up practically a case worth at TW and he flipped. Apparently in Virginia, there is some sort of law against selling beer for less than cost.

Is that a thing?

13. IndyDad

IndyDad Champion (840) New York Jan 21, 2013

Buy a case of each, right away, and send them to me. Terrapin doesn't come up this way, and I love these beers!

Nachos4two likes this.
  14. If someone else isn't. I'd be all over those stouts.

15. jcb7472

I went on their website and paid for a few packs....waiting on pick-up confirmation. I hope they hold them for me until this afternoon when I can get over to the store.

16. BarnegatWS

BarnegatWS Aspirant (45) New Jersey Feb 27, 2012

As a small shop we lack the room to keep seasonal beers long past the season since the new seasonal brews are out long before the general public is looking for them to be released. No matter how good it is, if something isn't selling and is going to rotate out of date or season I want it to move off our shelves and make room for something that will. In NJ you can't sell anything below cost, but there are beers that I have put at a few cents above cost just to move it and make room for something else.

17. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I'd buy anything that I knew aged well (including those stouts) IF I had never tried it before or I knew I liked it. I wouldn't buy something I didn't like or only thought was so-so even for a discounted price.

I've wondered this about Sierra Nevada Celebration. I've never tried it, but I always hear good things about it. It's still on the shelves in our podunk liquor store, and I've seriously considered buying it. I guess I should look for a bottled date, but I've just always assumed it was past its prime. When does Celebration come out, anyways? November? December? Either way, it's getting a little long in the tooth for a hoppy beer. I'd like to try it, but I'm thinking I should just wait until next year. It's not discounted either.

18. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

The place next to my house will always mark down the fade to black series from left hand every year at one point to $1 a bottle and I always buy it up.

19. Discounting beer is a foreign concept in SoCal. I don't know of any places that mark down beer except BevMo. Most places just let it sit until it sells.

kojevergas likes this.
  20. I don't see em in the stores around here but last yr I went to Mayflower's open house. They had about 20 cases of the winter stout stacked in the middle of the tasting room with a sign on them 10.00 bucks. I grabbed 2 cases and enjoyed the hell out of them. Hope the do it again this yr.

craigo19 likes this.
  21. Cost of doing business I suppose, sometimes you'll get beat with some cheap seasonals, but other times you benefit from things that need to move off the shelf and get discounted. But if it was Wake N Bake at $3.99 a 4-pack, I'd buy at least a case of it! I've had it fresh and with about a year or so on it. The coffee fades a little but still great. Like I said, do it up, I have to trade for my Wake N Bake!

jcb7472 likes this.
  22. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Savant (415) Connecticut Jul 16, 2005

Smutty Pumpkin gone bad after 3 months? Nope...

23. jcb7472

It wasn't "bad" as I still drank it all, but I had drank a single one back in early September when it was fresh and it tasted great. This time, drinking it in late November and it was early December by the time I finished the 12'er, the smell and flavor had faded and it was sub-par IMO. It almost tasted like it was watered-down, which I assumed was because it had been sitting on the shelf in Florida for a few months.

24. cyrushire

cyrushire Advocate (620) Florida May 25, 2012

Where in Florida is this?

25. Geez. That's a great freaking deal. My "deals" here are cases of Oktoberfest for $16.99 in March. Yeah, thanks, but no thanks.

26. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Yes I buy them quite often. Yeah it doesnt taste perfect but Im not that picky. I'll even do it with IPAs, just picked up some 6 month old Deviant Dales the other day.

27. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

Saw some ridiculous deal on SN Celebration. Like 10.99 for 12 pack ridiculous. Alas, I had my purchase in mind already and they were all gone when I returned. *Insert sob here*

28. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (360) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

I got a case of consecrator, case of the GI Xmas, and a pair of Autumn Maples for $40 on clearance here - if they had more i woulda bought them...The Wake N Bake is flippin excellent!

29. jcb7472

Fort Lauderdale

30. Yeah, same price in my area. Tried to order 7 4-packs of WnB online for pickup tomorrow. Took all of 20 minutes for the order to be cancelled. TW does this crap all the time, when I try to order the closeout stuff.

31. I was just thinking this same thing. I'm thoroughly jealous of the some of the bargains I read about here. What is it about our area? Even year old IPA's don't get discounted.

32. Place by me has 2012 Goose Island Xmas for $4.99

33. jcb7472

I got an order confirmation, but still no pickup confirmation, and they already debited the money from my card. Looks like I will have to get this straightened out in person in a couple of hours. Hopefully they still have the beer.

34. Wake N Bake and Moo-Hoo are still drinking great. At $3.99 I would buy every bottle they have.
    I buy a case or so of each. I always seem to have a couple left in the fall. They will fade a little but they are still great.

KevinGordon likes this.
  35. Each year I wait till spring because TW marks BCS down to $4 or $5 a pack which is awesome. It's much better with a year on it anyways so I buy it with anticipation of drinking it next year.

36. cyrushire

cyrushire Advocate (620) Florida May 25, 2012

Cool. Thank you.

37. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

lol..winterish. Thanks for rubbing our faces in it :-D It's cold here...

TheBushman likes this.
  38. In BC there are no real deals on older beer but I still Winter seasonals right into Late Spring as long they are not to hop heavy ( ie Pyramid Snowplow is awesome up to a year old but Deschutes Jubelale loses that hop bite ). I also avoid British beers on clearance as they are too old and the subtle hop notes are gone ( with a few higher ABV exceptions) . Summer seasonals are mostly crap past September due to the low ABV and the lighter styles.

http://markfaviell.com/10-years-on-beer-advocate/

39. Stunner97

Stunner97 Savant (280) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

I have plenty good end seasons stories I can share but start with this week I got case of six point diesel for 12.99. Can't beat that

40. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

From what I know, we don't get any deals like that here in NYC.

And yeah, buy to your heart's content. I just wouldn't touch the old IPAs. Stouts, porters, barleywines, knock yourself out.