1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Endangered/Extinct Whales

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by JulianB, Mar 6, 2013.

1. More out of curiosity than anything else, are there some rare (bottled) beers out there which have attracted at least some degree of attention/notoriety, and are either extinct or "endangered" (the number of unconsumed bottles is known to be exceptionally low, on reasonably good evidence)?

2. 2004 BA Dark Lord.

3. brian23456

brian23456 Savant (255) Minnesota Apr 29, 2008

I was lucky to land a 2005 BA Old Salty recently, its been on my wants since '09 and I thought it was extinct. Goes to show you, there's usually at least one still out there!
    There's a few old whales you see people looking for regularly that I wonder how many there are left, Yellow Bus, '07 Darkness, Dave, M. I doubt any of them are actually extinct, hoarders are good at hoarding.

4. usofar

usofar Initiate (0) California Dec 23, 2010

After kegs of 08 PVW Eclipse and 07 Old Fitz Eclipse showed up at the Eclipse release party last December, I often wonder what the brewers of these extremely limited beers still have set aside. How much Dave is still left at HOTD? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Whale Bro? The world may never know.

minnesotaryan, 1up, FUNKPhD and 4 others like this.
  5. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Advocate (710) Idaho Aug 10, 2005

I know somebody that has an '05 BA Old Salty... I believe he is scared to ship it because the first time I met him was at a BeerAdvocate/RateBeer come together tasting and I actually opened the same bottle (probably early 2009ish). Opened it with a PPPFFFSSSST AND a 4 foot GEYSER inside a nice restaurant. I don't believe it was anything to do with the bottle; but I accidentally shook the shit out of it on the way to the tasting.

It was pretty embarrassing, but was still an awesome tasting brew.

sendsilk, FUNKPhD and AlexFields like this.
  6. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Black Cherry Bomb and Dirty Horse have got to be pretty endangered at this point.

I've heard rumors of stashes of M in the Great North, but who knows for sure?

7. HenrikO

HenrikO Aficionado (205) Sweden Jun 19, 2011

There can't be _that_ much 3F Framboos left, a lot of people I've spoken to who were at Sour & Bitter last year have already drunk their allotment of 3 bottles (since it's a great beer!). Many people who were there were not traders and thus do not hoard (as much).

And no, I'm not writing this to drive up the value of my own Framboos. I'm happy to just drink it down the line!

All best,
    Henrik

8. Brewers do hold back beers. For example this season on Drinking Made Easy they cracked a bottle of M at the brewery.

9. You better be talking 99 Framboos.

aasher and stxSS07 like this.
  10. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Don't you mean '06? Or do you know something I don't?

aasher likes this.
  11. No, you're right. 2006.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  12. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Just gotta track down Benny Hill. Seems simple enough, right? :rolleyes:

dvelcich likes this.
  13. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Original, real, Four Loko.

14. I'd be worried about the cellaring conditions, but I bet there are a few pristine ones located in the dark corners of some fraternity basements.

AlexFields and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  15. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Spuyten Duyvil
    Bourgogne (around, but very, very expensive)
    Groseille/Groseille a Maquereau
    OG Soleil de Minuit
    Feestbier HBL
    Selectie C
    A plethora of other Cantillon ghost whales

16. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Not whales, but I was very surprised at the difficulty I had obtaining an Ithaca Kaffinator, and I still haven't gotten a Wyerbacher Prophecy despite making great offers in the past. The hoarders just let you down sometimes. :(

yeahnatenelson likes this.
  17. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

Im sure breweys save alot of stuff. Cigar City has a Hidden (sort of) 54@ cellar behind one of the big coolers. Last time I was in it i saw cases of Hunahpus dated back at least a few years. I saw cases of Leon, Sweet Stout and some others. Didnt have a lot of time to geek out. Just took a quick look and saw some labels I recognized.

My guess is that alot of placed keep a back stock to age and to offer at later dates.

18. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

Kuhnhenn Extraneous Cassis.

(Many people will insist that they have a bottle, but they've simply just confused it with their bottle of Tenacious Cassis)

19. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Double Raspberry Truffle Pyment is impossible to find as well

AleWatcher, aasher and MordorMongo like this.
  20. DanGolfs86

DanGolfs86 Savant (300) Illinois Dec 2, 2010

21. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I bet there's actually a ton of that left. Struise tapped at least one keg last year for CBC, I'd be surprised if they'd do that when there's little left. (Then again, who knows? I don't know how Urbain's mind works.)

SpeedwayJim and tacosandbeer like this.
  22. beerdweeb

beerdweeb Savant (300) California Nov 28, 2010

Ha! No one knows how Urbain's mind works. FWIW, there was at least two kegs. Unless they faked "running out" of it the first day of the event.

23. rgco

rgco Aficionado (180) California Apr 2, 2012

Pliny the Eldest

24. drewba

drewba Savant (365) Illinois Nov 14, 2009

I doubt this very much.

Shagtastic likes this.
  25. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I'm shocked at how long it lasted. If that event had been in the US it would've ran out in 30 minutes, maybe less. I think it was still on when I left like 4 or 5 hours after the start.

26. nicks6217

nicks6217 Savant (360) California Jan 15, 2010

yellow bus is probably closeto being extinct.

Overlord and FalconA like this.
  27. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

'06 Darkness?

Penguin3200 and lurchingbeast like this.
  28. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Wales don't have to be good!

29. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Aficionado (240) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

Dirty weekend beaver juice

30. Pliny in New Jersey?

31. ...and they usually aren't.

FUNKPhD and corby112 like this.
  32. cfrances33

cfrances33 Champion (750) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

I would be curious as to the amount of Saison Lambic Pinot Noir still floating around...

Gosox8787 and Thorpe429 like this.
  33. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Selectie C

Zero gots, on the White Whale list, I've rarely seen it put up or sought out

34. The 07 and 08 Eclipse kegs were the last of it we were pretty sure the 07 was going to be a stinker but it held up well. With many personnel charges over the years the old stuff has been forgotten or the markings faded.

35. fortsambo

fortsambo Savant (250) Colorado Feb 14, 2011

Pliny the farter is extinct, but I sure wish he would return.

domtronzero, corby112 and usofar like this.
  36. usofar

Sounds like it's time to make the Pappy Van Winkle version again then ;) Thanks for always being so forthcoming with info Todd!

37. usofar

Once the El Cajon Chapter 11 proceedings end I'm going to need a new source of entertainment.

elephantrider, jp7161, SageO and 2 others like this.
  38. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

39. FalconA

FalconA Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 10, 2011

Really? I see it on the trade forum almost every other day :rolleyes:

40. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006