1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Endeavor launch

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by SweetBooze73, Feb 26, 2012.

1. air

air Savant (360) Texas Mar 28, 2007

Specs had some and so does Lone Star. I would be surprised if Hall's doesn't have it by now.

2. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Savant (380) Texas Apr 30, 2011

I can't even talk, I have about 400 bottles hanging out with me. They are my friends, these bottles of mine..Drink two, buy five....seems to be a pattern.

3. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (605) Texas Nov 20, 2011

It seems that way lately. Need to start drinking all this beer I've been amassing through trades. Lol.

4. LadyOfMuchBeer

I drink when I can. I am getting used to the grief that comes with "collecting" beer myself. I have a good lineup of four for tonight, shall see if I get to them.

5. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (660) Texas Jul 14, 2009

I thought that was the point of beer?...have more bottles then anyone else

jaymesbawned likes this.
  6. Eurytos

Eurytos Aficionado (140) Texas Dec 3, 2010

The specs off of 75 had some when I was in there last Friday. Other retailers should have some as well?

edit: woops did not see the earlier reply before posting....

7. turfy

turfy Savant (385) Texas Mar 17, 2010

I'm going to throw this out there to see what others may think or have experienced. I am on my third Endeavor now. The first had a head that dissipated fairly quick, with a somewhat more muted fruit aroma and taste that I was hoping for. The second exhibited more head retention and lacing, with more fruit forwardness. Now this third bottle is closer, at least to my amateur taste buds, to what I crave...the fruity pineapple/citrus/mango West Coast style such as PTE and Sculpin. The hop bitterness aftertaste is still consistent. Since the bottles indicate a bottling date of 2/27, I am wondering if the longer these things sit, at least in terms of a few weeks, that the fruitiness will become more pronounced. All I know is that this third bottle is really tasting good and has me more excited than initially about this new offering. Again, I am a novice when it comes to rating the nuances of a beer, so I am interested in what others more proficient in this area have experienced with repeat tastings of Endeavor.

LadyOfMuchBeer likes this.
  8. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (380) Texas Dec 28, 2011

I think you're probably right and I'm really hoping you are. I've only had one so far and it was within a week of the bottling date. I seemed too fresh/green.

9. Krumb

Krumb Savant (290) Texas Jan 30, 2008

I think it competes with the heavy hitters. Hopslam. Heady. Pliny. I'm not drinking them side by side, but this really is a great IIPA. Very impressed...I don't remember dr11 being this tasty!

10. obrike

obrike Savant (435) Texas Jun 19, 2009

Just cracked my first one...it's easily as good as the fresh DR11 I had last year. Great scent, great taste, great DIPA!

11. LadyOfMuchBeer

From my experience, IPAs do tend to open up as far as the fruit goes over time. Part of that also seems to be as hops fall back a little you can get more of what is underneath. You may also just be working harder to find those flavors underneath as you go.

12. TenHornsProud

TenHornsProud Savant (295) Colorado Aug 13, 2010

Just had this, and it is as amazing as the Divine version. I have recently had PtE and PtY and a few others, and this can easily stand with all of them. Now I will need a regular trading partner for this and Jester King brews....onward to the recently canned Karbach!

13. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (495) Texas Oct 15, 2011

I sent all of the above to a couple trading partners! I like to talk up new releases to my trading buddies to get them into the stuff I can get.

14. canadianghetto

I was curious to see if Endeavour had charted yet for the Imperial IPA top beers and I found it has jumped up to 22: http://beeradvocate.com/lists/style/140

Let's hope it is not too much homerism driving up the ratings. Once we start shipping this around the country, we will see what kind of reviews this should really be getting. I think it is great and should easily be considered a top 15 DIPA.

LadyOfMuchBeer likes this.
  15. LadyOfMuchBeer

I sent a bottle back to a great trade partner in Cali, along with some fresh Freetail(sent him OBR and Velocihoptor) as he sent me fresh Blind Pig and PtE(two of the bottles I took to the Freeatail bottle share)not long ago, in an amazing box of Cali goodness. He thought it was a very solid IIPA indeed.

16. canadianghetto

That's good to know that someone with Pliny running through their veins think this is a good beer. :)

17. UTCengOwl

UTCengOwl Aficionado (240) Texas May 27, 2010

I think it is a bit of homerism driving up the ratings... and there are 3 lower reviews for "Endeavour IPA" from St. Arnolds that aren't listed in the main page. That said, since this will be consumed fresher than DR11, I expect it to finish higher than DR11's 4.21 rating.

18. canadianghetto

Any idea when the 2nd batch will drop? Not that it is a problem since it is still available pretty much everywhere, but I have a trader who is interested in fresh bottles. I told him it is still drinking great but I get where he is coming from. Can anyone say that it is being brewed right now or will it be a month or more down until the next release?

19. awinkro

awinkro Savant (285) Texas Oct 15, 2008

We've packaged three different batches of Endeavour and another is currently fermenting. All bottles are dated.

20. GregSVT

GregSVT Savant (475) Texas Jul 1, 2009

Just picked up some bottles from S&K that have 31612 on the neck...

21. hammondc

hammondc Aficionado (140) Texas Mar 15, 2008

By far, my Favorite St Arnolds brew to date. Now...they need to put it in sixers....

jenray likes this.
  22. turfy

That would be perfect!

23. PhatAtUT

PhatAtUT Advocate (545) Texas Jul 31, 2009

well, what did you think?

24. wagenvolks

wagenvolks Advocate (655) Texas Sep 23, 2005

Just cracked open my first bottle tonight. Very impressed, I found it an improvement over DR 11. The harsh alcohol and bitterness are instead replaced by a huge burst of hop flavor. So incredibly drinkable, and the booze is hardly discernible until you finish the bomber...

25. ehsteve

ehsteve Aficionado (225) Texas Jan 13, 2009

Yeah, you can discern the hell out of the booze once you're done though.

26. comparing and barley wine to a DIPA?

hmph...

27. wagenvolks

Barleywine? Getcha DR series straight, son.

28. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Poetry.

29. I thought someone was comparing DR10 and DR11

30. wagenvolks

No worries, just messin with ya :D

31. LadyOfMuchBeer

Ok, I WAS going to do a formal review, but it was late and I just felt like sinking in and enjoying the beer. To give you a good idea, I poured the whole damn thing(all 22 ounces) into a big CBS snifter and finished wanting another. Seemed to iron out all the things I didn't originally like about DR11. SO crisp, heavy hopped and solid balance. I remember DR11 being maltier. Definitely something I will revisit soon. :)

32. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (435) Texas Nov 21, 2008

I did not find DR11 to be very malty. Do you think you might be recalling the ones (as you commented earlier) had aged well? I never drank one that had aged more than a few weeks. However, I bought as many sixers of DR11 as I could get my hands on because I found it quite bright and hoppy when it was fresh.

33. GregSVT

GregSVT Savant (475) Texas Jul 1, 2009

It seems this one peaks after about 2 weeks. Had one last week and it had a lot of grapefruit and pine bitterness. The one I had last night had more fruity aromas and flavors like tangerine and apricot. Both were bottled 3/16/12.

34. H0rnedFr0gs

I had my last of 5 bombers from the first batch last night. (I really wanted to taste the progression + it's really f-ing good)

Everything has held up nicely. Really tasty, although I have to note I refridge all my beer so perhaps my experience is different than picking up a month old bottle from the store shelf.

I was really disappointed that Fort Worth got stuck with the 2/27 bottles even after the March bottling was on the shelves in other markets.

35. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

You had 5 Endeavor bombers in one night...? Bravo man...sounds like one hell of an evening.

36. H0rnedFr0gs

Naw, 5 over the course of the month+ since release

37. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Ah I see, I misread...I had one in my fridge for a few weeks and I couldn't tell a difference between that one and the first bottle I had. Seems to hold up fine..

38. turfy

It is holding up fantastically. I think I am on my 8th bomber since its release and I become more impressed with each one.

H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  39. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (380) Texas Dec 28, 2011

Anybody know when the next batch is coming around?

40. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (550) Texas Apr 26, 2007

There's already three batches out that I know of. Bottling dates that I've seen are 2/27, 3/16, and 4/06.