1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

England Beer trip Report Part 1

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by Mark, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Mark

Mark Advocate (585) California Jun 18, 2001

Mates, just returned from my 15th trip to your great country. It was another outstanding time but i will talk about the beer part only of course. First I wish to be acknowledged as the American king of cask ale. Secondly I wish to be not criticized for what I had the most of, it is my favorite drinkable and sentimental ale. I was there 8 nights and I consumed a record breaking 59 pints. Most in a day was 9 which I did twice, least was 6 which was on my first night. This was spead out during the day and evening as we needed to do other things as well! Out of London pub highlights were The Grainstore Brewery tap in Oakham, the Brewery Tap in Chester, the Pied Bull in Chester, and my second visit to Just Beer in Newark. What a fantastic pub that is. I also hit the Tobie Norris in Stamford. I was very fortunate to have been treated to a English beer and pub lovers dream. I will be more detailed later. Cheers.

marquis and EmperorBevis like this.
  2. Mark

I was visiting my third and final pub in Chester, The Pied Bull. While having a pint his guy walks up to the table and asks how the beer was. Turns out he brews on site. We started talking as he could see what an avid real ale guy I am. Before I knew it he was taking me to the cellar! In addition to all the casks and lines, I viewed his one barrel brewery! I also received a few tastes right from the casks. A night later back in London, we were in our favorite pub, The Lamb. We have made friends with the landlord and I was telling him about the Pied Bull. Within minutes I was in the Lamb's cellar! It was a beer lovers dream come true. What a great time. More later.

marquis, EmperorBevis and jazzyjeff13 like this.
  3. Sounds like you had a great time- what was this mysterious beer that you seem so ashamed of? There will be no judgements here!

4. Youngs bitter is my guess !

EmperorBevis likes this.
  5. No shame
    The Ram is my Lam - A ding dong

paxton1978 and Ruds like this.
  6. Well, none that get voiced ;)

7. You have my respect, good sir. Assuming you drank some Oakham Ales what did you think of them?

8. Mark

Ruds is right Young's bitter it is but there is no shame at all. I'm proud to say it's my favorite beer. Do others have more flavor, yes, but none to me are more drinkable I said what I said mainly in jest because last year I received a wise crack about drinking lots of Young's. No big deal. 22 of my 59 pints were Young's, I'll be posting my beer list when I have the time. I did have JHB by Oakham and have always liked their beers.