1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ensenada Beer Fest 2014, Yes Please!!!

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by costcrew04, Feb 20, 2014.

1. costcrew04

costcrew04 Disciple (50) California Feb 19, 2013

Hotel is booked and I am waiting impatiently for March 22 to come. Ever since new laws passed in Mexico allowing the smaller guys to have a chance to succeed, craft beer has been popping up everywhere in Baja. I am going to guess that there are around 80 breweries of all brewing sizes in Baja, maybe more. I am truly excited to have some great Mexican Craft Beer. Specifically looking forward to some Cilantro IPA's and Horchata Stouts! Yes please! Anyone else heading down, up, left or right to this event?

AmuseMe and Beersnake1 like this.
  2. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

Great beer starts with the water!

3. SUBER

SUBER Aficionado (230) California Jan 26, 2013

FTFY.

4. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (270) California Aug 19, 2011

80 breweries, really?

5. DougOLis

DougOLis Savant (275) California Aug 15, 2008

Website?

6. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (335) California Oct 17, 2009

Mexicali has some really great craft beer bars these days. They even occasionally have a tap or two open just for homebrewers that are friends of the owners. You couldn't do that in the US and I found it really encouraging. Many of the local offerings I found to be underwhelming, but they're learning down there and they have a lot of interest in improving their methods.

Altenor likes this.
  7. Altenor

Altenor Aficionado (195) California Aug 12, 2011

Ensenada, Tijuana, and Mexicali have some good beers. Nothing crazy but well made and with their own identity. There is also a growing Home brewing community that makes it a promising place for the craft beer revolution in Mexico. There is a lot of potential and hope people support their local brewers.
    Some stand outs I would recommend are Teta de la India by 686, Playera and Xoco by Peninsula, Lupulosa and Nocturna by Insurgente, Astillero by Aguamala. There are some I am forgetting but you should definitely give them a try if you can.
    Ensenada is a great city, has great food, and is also a great winemaking region if you're into that.

Cheers

8. xraided81

xraided81 Savant (315) California Jan 9, 2008

I tried Agua Mala IPA at a beer bar in mexicali and thought it was pretty well crafted ipa, cheers!

9. IceAce

IceAce Advocate (560) California Jan 8, 2004

+1 for Agua Mala. The name of the brewery is literally "Bad Water"

The water may have started out bad, but brewer Nathaniel Schmidt is doing some great stuff!

10. Teta... jajaja...

11. AmuseMe

AmuseMe Initiate (15) California Mar 1, 2014

Room booked and me and the Cicerone are ready to go. Less than a month before we head down to Ensenada and see Paul with Ensenada Brewing (oh how I MISS his Horchata Stout!!), as well as all the other fine craft breweries South of the border!

12. t0rin0

t0rin0 Champion (820) California Dec 30, 2006

I'd love to learn more about the Mexican beer scene. Haven't found any good resources online yet. Anyone have the beer or brewer list from this fest?