1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Epic Brewing Co. coming to WA!

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by waltersrj, Feb 21, 2013.

1. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

2. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Big bad baptist in Seattle! Damn yes!
    duketheredeemer and suncrust like this.
  3. I was stoked to see this, they are a kick ass brewery doing a bunch of awesome beers. I would always stock up on their beers whenever I would go to portland
  4. How many Epic breweries are out there geez? I know of 3 for sure, Epic Brewing Company, Epic Brewing Co. and Epic Ales.
    ramnuts likes this.
  5. Washington, Utah and New Zealand oh my.
  6. waltersrj

I love me some BBB.
    bifrost17 likes this.
  7. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

That's the first thing that crossed my mind.
  8. Lazerlobe

Lazerlobe Savant (305) Washington Mar 1, 2010

Not if everyone is cool about it. Cody doesn't really seem to mind.
  9. What problems would there be? The beers from them have always been high quality IMO
  10. waltersrj

He is implying that it would be possible for the branding of each company to be confused by consumers. When I first got into craft beer I know I was personally confused. Even now, I am sometimes confused between the (now 3) available breweries with Epic in the name that are available here in WA.
  11. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Exactly. After all, if Georgetown could be challenged for use of the number 9, well, . . . .
    Kopfschuss likes this.
  12. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

The 2 Alpines seem to get along as well.
  13. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

I tried that for the first time last week. I've never had a beer where the aroma smelled like I stuck my face in a bag of coffee grounds. It was insane.
    gueuzehead likes this.
  14. bifrost17

I haven't been fortunate enough to try it yet, but hopefully soon!
  15. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

If you enjoy licking ashtrays, grab a BBB.
    ArchEnemyBrew likes this.
  16. bifrost17

Wow really? I've heard nothing but good things about it, you thought it was that bad?
  17. OakedCanuck

Unfortunately I did. I heard the same good things about it, got one, drank half, poured the rest. It was worse than Sexual Chocolate. Just my opinion of course. ;)
  18. kevwcamp

kevwcamp Savant (310) Washington May 13, 2010

I had BBB over a year ago and thought it was so-so. I almost didn't buy it again when in PDX 2 months ago, but I am glad I did. It must have been a more recent batch and it tasted much better...very similar to KBS.
  19. punkhim

punkhim Aficionado (190) Washington Dec 22, 2011

Lots of variation between batches. I was at the brewery on Thanksgiving and I agree with the ashtray comment.
    OakedCanuck likes this.
  20. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (760) Washington May 12, 2005

Haven't tried much, but this stuff ROTS on the shelves in places with far worse distribution than here. Epic clearly subscribes to the philosophy of bottling and distributing as much as beer as humanly possible without real consideration to quality. Pass on this.
    OakedCanuck likes this.
  21. Yeah i had a bottle a few weeks ago. My stomach hated it!
  22. I've had their Sour Apple Saison and an IPA. The saison was nice, but the IPA wasn't anything special.
  23. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Got what seems like their entire line up in today. Brainless on Cherries and Peaches, Sour Apple Saison, Big Bad Baptist, Oaked and Smoked, and a lot of their regular stuff as well.
  24. woemad

woemad Champion (795) Washington Jun 8, 2003

I had their imperial stout and was not impressed.
  25. bifrost17

Big Bad Baptist?
  26. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

Probably this one

[​IMG]
  27. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

It's funny. I stopped into Special Brews tonight and asked Annie what she thought of Epic and she mentioned you weren't a fan of BBB. I picked one up anyway to see for myself. Grabbed a Brainless on Peaches too. I'll be sure to report after this damned head cold goes away!
  28. OakedCanuck

I told her that about BBB and that I thought BoP was terrible, funny you picked them both up.
  29. bifrost17

Ahhhh I see. I had a Big Bad Baptist over the weekend and I really enjoyed it.
  30. podunkparte

Ok, drinking BBB right now and I gotta disagree with you Colin. The only thing I'm disappointed with is that they advertise it as Barrel aged, which I taste absolutely nothing from. Otherwise though I'm really liking it and it's because it tastes almost exactly like Terrapin's Wake and Bake. It's got that deep chocolate flavor with a big hit of espresso coffee. Delicious
    Smurf2055 likes this.
  31. podunkparte

Sipping on Brainless on Peaches now and I'll agree with you here Colin. Very "meh."
  32. podunkparte

Should you want to live your life as a frat boy however, might I suggest Epic Brewing's Brainless on Peaches! I'd like to think I can handle some high gravity beer, but this beer will get you drunk! It's over 2 hours since I started this bottle and with about 10 ounces left I'm in a great place! Is this beer brewed with meth? o_O
  33. OakedCanuck

At least half of your palette works.
    podunkparte likes this.
  34. Has anyone seen it in Spokane yet?
  35. woemad

woemad Champion (795) Washington Jun 8, 2003

That is correct, sir.
  36. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

I was just checking this thread for that reason. I could've sworn I've seen you post that you're able to check what distributors have on hand or something...heard anything?
  37. I had a batch #8 BBB and it was very booze heavy with some coffee and chocolate. Looks like they change up the recipe almost every batch. Solid, but nothing special.
  38. I checked and no one has it yet. But if it's in Seattle, it's only a matter of time before Odom or Click will get some.
    whiskey likes this.
  39. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (380) Washington Sep 7, 2009

If Cody were to make a Brett peach beer, itd be called "peaches on brains" and contain actual brains. Not sure how anyone will confuse the two. Cody is making a beet sour so yeah... No confusing the two:)
    libbey likes this.