Epic Brewing in Denver?

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by rturkaly, Jun 9, 2013.

1. A friend and I will be out in Denver at the end of the month for a beer fest. I've been to the area before and know there are a tremendous amount of beer bars and breweries to go to, so I'm looking forward to that. I was reading online about Epic Brewing, out of Utah, building a brewery or tap room in downtown Denver. I just wanted to see if anybody out in the Denver region has heard if or when this would happen. I've only had Epic beer once at a beer festival back in PA, but thought it was pretty good.

On another note, there are many new breweries since my last visit. Out of the following breweries, which one is the can't miss: TRVE, Wit's End, Strange, Renegade, Denver Beer Co, Our mutual Friend, and Black Shirt. Thanks.

2. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

Epic seems to be hush hush on their news releases about the new facility. It's gonna be big, and last I heard should open this month. Not sure, though,

The "can't miss" kind of depends on what you like. I think most are solid, with Black Shirt having diacetyl issues on some brews, and Friend....well....needs work. Trve, Wit, Strange, Renegade are fairly close to one another, and Breck BBQ is there, too, as well as Rackhouse beer bar (next to Stranahan's "Colorado" whiskey)

Many options

Domingo likes this.
  3. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

That's the route I'd take, too. While River North is pretty polished and kicking ass now, I'm not so sure about the others yet...Epic Included. Most have at least 1-2 gems intermingled with some duds. Once Crooked Stave is finally over there, that makes that trek a little more appealing.
    With the new western light rail line, you can now hit Wit's, Co. Cider Co, & Strange on the western line and a make a short walk to Renegade and Breck BBQ off the southern line. You can then head up to Union Station where the 'Koop, Great Divide, Prost, and the DBC are at.

4. Thanks for the update. I've heard good things about The Rackhouse, but have never made it down there. Forgot about River North. I've read some good things about that place. I will definitely look into the light rail. I'm willing to walk to Wit's from my downtown hotel, but if I can catch a ride for a few bucks, even better. I'm not the biggest German beer guy, but I will give Prost a shot. Any place with an outdoor patio is worth looking into.

5. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Savant (470) Colorado Jul 22, 2005

We're working on a story about Epic to hit the blog soon. Wife got a tour a few weeks ago and was really impressed. They were supposed to begin brewing on their 20-BBL system sometime this month, but said they wouldn't be open until August at the earliest.

6. Ok, I figured since there wasn't anything concrete that the project may be delayed. But between Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, and Colorado Springs, I will still sample plenty of new breweries. I guess I was just being greedy with the Epic opening. The next 2 weeks can't go fast enough.

7. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

Another tip is to call ahead to some of these smaller breweries. Sometimes they cut hours if they're behind on production. Also you can call to find out how many beers are on tap. I know I've been disappointed to travel a great distance to only be able to try three of their beers, because they were out of everything else.

joshclauss likes this.
  8. I never really though of that, but when you are dealing with smaller breweries, the lineups may not always be the same. There were a few intersting beers on the websites, so maybe a calling ahead would be a smart move.

9. mikey451

mikey451 Aficionado (225) Utah Mar 11, 2003

It looks like Epic will be firing-up their first batches of beer in the next few days. The tap house however is not opening 'till mid August.

10. Wit's End has never served me a bad beer, so they're "can't miss" except for the fact they might be out of something you came there to get--Mick Jaggery on a couple occasions for me, but they had Wilford and Green Man and Jean-Claude, so it was all good.

Re: Epic--This is totally irrational on my part but I have this little thing of, who do these Utah guys think they are, that there just gonna walk in to our scene? Don't bother telling me this is stupid, I've already acknowledged it. But they better not bring any weak-ass game, is all.

11. Mebuzzard

Rumor I got--probably while drinking--was Epic will use Denver facility to branch into Texas distribution. Again, I was probably drinking.... :rolleyes:

12. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (550) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Pretend they're not from Utah and give their craft beer a chance and if it isn't your thing then move on. I love Wit's End, but isn't Scott from Seattle? I mean at least it's not Inbev!! We've got New Belgium and Oskar Blues in North Carolina....

13. SalukiAlum

Maybe they want to get away from the Utah scene :)

14. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I think Epic will fit right in with that neighborhood. Some all-star beers and some total messes.

gueuzer, drumrboy22 and SalukiAlum like this.
  15. SalukiAlum

Big Bad Baptist on tap?!?!?!!!!!

denver10 likes this.
  16. bfields4

bfields4 Savant (390) Colorado Dec 11, 2007

Does epic have an exact location picked out? I was a little confused on things I'd been seeing.

Oh and on a different note that's upsetting to hear about diactyl at blackshirt i love their beers, but haven't been in for a minute.. I guess Oskar's pulls a little bit off here and there while still pumping out great beers though.

17. Mebuzzard

3001 Walnut just east of LoDo, not quite as far as Black Shirt

18. SalukiAlum

3001 Walnut Street

19. scray24

scray24 Savant (275) Colorado Mar 12, 2008

I heard it was somewhere around Walnut... Or maybe Elm.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  20. Mebuzzard

It was gonna be on Pine, but they thought that would be too.....sappy

21. mikey451

mikey451 Aficionado (225) Utah Mar 11, 2003

Today is Epic' Brewing's first brew day in Denver. They're starting with "Escape to Colorado IPA".

22. MYJELLOMISFIT

MYJELLOMISFIT Initiate (0) Colorado Jan 14, 2007

Maybe Epic should figure how to distribute to Denver before moving a brewery here. Not to mention the confusion between them and Epic from New Zealand.

23. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (675) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

They aren't exactly hush-hush, they basically said they were brewing in Denver today on their facebook page, and Westword gave a good report last month about it... here ya go:

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/2013/05/photos_utahs_epic_brewing_prep.php

https://www.facebook.com/epicbrewingco/posts/10151672710329301

There's also this from January:
    Photo album:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151579297534301.1073741827.278554429300&type=1

BeerSlingerMike and joshclauss like this.
  24. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (315) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Nice work, Pros.

25. MYJELLOMISFIT

Oooh and guess what distributor Epic has chosen to murder their brand...

26. Mebuzzard

There are worse out there... :oops:

27. MYJELLOMISFIT

Worse than a company who doesn't know they already distribute a brand by the same name? :confused: Hahaha Let the confusion begin!

28. I can't wait until Epic releases Hop Zombie in Denver. o_O

29. beatenbyjacks

beatenbyjacks Savant (410) Colorado Apr 17, 2011

Cannot wait for them to open in general. Within biking distance for me, almost walking distance! Hurry up Epic, Denver needs more breweries.....

30. Mebuzzard

Looks like they may need a mediator....gotta switch to my other personality

31. MYJELLOMISFIT

They should to a colabo and call it Big Bad Kiwi then both can make the same recipe at each respective brewery and distribute them through the same distributor with the same labels at very different costs. Then we can all deliberate on which one is better.

ssteigerwald likes this.
  32. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

pulled an imperial ipa off a store shelf a couple days ago. along w/ a few of the brainless series and a sour apple saison.

got home to check the date on the batch of imperial ipa and its almost 6 weeks old, with 2 batches having been brewed and packaged since.

hate when i buy an ipa ive never had to find out its older than id prefer for my first experience w/ it.

33. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

So who the hell are we talking about again?

34. Prospero

Not to mention the mediocre distribution of their Classic Series (made for Denver), maybe they sold out everywhere because they were $3.99, maybe they sold out because they didn't brew enough o_O

It's been difficult to find bottles of RiNo Pale & Escape to Colorado IPA. If anyone sees any laying around please BM me.

35. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Savant (415) Colorado Apr 29, 2012

Grapevine had plenty of both today

Prospero likes this.
  36. Prospero

Haven't seen them anywhere near downtown yet, but that's close enough. Thanks.

37. Prospero

Yea, mine was batch #28 packaged on June 5

38. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

There was a good amount of Escape to Colorado at Lukas about an hour ago. I picked up a bottle. So far, I have been disappointed with the appearance of the Epic beers. They're so hazy the beer looks like crap.