1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Equipment: Where to start?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by PdxBeerGeek, Dec 29, 2012.

1. PdxBeerGeek

PdxBeerGeek Aspirant (45) Oregon Dec 15, 2012

Hey Everyone,

So I've been thinking about getting a hombrew kit started and want to know if anyone has some suggestions on what kind of equipment to start with? A friend said I could start with 5 gallon buckets and a large stockpot but that sounds too simple. Can anyone clarify for me the best equipment to buy for starting my first batch?

Prost!

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

There are plenty of threads in this forum (do a search) on recommended starter kits. But if you read this...

www.howtobrew.com

you'll have a good idea what equipment makes sense for your situation.

3. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (415) Utah May 2, 2006

4. I bought my first equipment "starter" kit at NorthernBrewer.com. Had everything I needed to get going, and as I learned things I added additional items as my knowledge/interest grew....

5. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I think Billy's Homebrew Academy (linked from the reviews above) is also great for the video walk-throughs of the brewing process.

I will say that I think that the siphon in the MoreBeer kit is awful. All the other kits seem to include an AutoSiphon, which is a much better tool, IMO.

You should also go see what Steinbarts has available as far as starter kits. They can be a little intimidating as a beginner, and their prices aren't always the best, but as far as LHBSs go, I think we are pretty fortunate here in Portland to have such a good one.

6. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (395) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

First...decide how much of the beer you drink do want to brew for yourself.
    Choice of equipment will depend on what you want to do.

Fer'instance...
    Want to drink 2 cases of home-brewed beer a week?
    You'll need to brew 5G every week or 10G every other week.

Buckets...kettles...packaging all vary with the scale of consumption and production.

7. PdxBeerGeek

PdxBeerGeek Aspirant (45) Oregon Dec 15, 2012

Thanks for all the replies and the helpful links. im going to start looking for a kit this weekend.