1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Eric Asimov on Hefeweizen

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dennis3951, Aug 31, 2012.

1. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Freudian, or new style? :D

2. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Well you definitely chose a hard experience to top. I am not a fan of the style much, but we get all the classic Hefe's on tap here regularly and Live Oak is just tasty tasty stuff and it's typically $3 pints and $150 keg.

In all seriousness, the number of far ranging reviews for Live Oak proves its got something more than hype behind it.

3. Would love to take the credit for the slip but prescriptive texting and my new touch screen takes it all. Still miss my old Blackberry keyboard . Funny as f*ck though.

4. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

My point about those beers fresh in Munich isn't just because I was there,I've been in Germany more times than I can count. It's that those beers fresh from the source are just ridiculously better than what makes it to the states and I find it hard to believe that this tap only brewery in Texas can produce something as good as where the style comes from...but like I said, I have yet to try it so it's really just my .02

H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  5. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Well, I can't speak for the Texas brewery, but I've also been to Germany and enjoyed fresh Weizen and have found some great, local micros who can brew it up as good as the natives.

Just for example, in my own backyard(s) is Capital and Sprecher who both make terrific Weizen -- Capital's Weizenbock being a dead-ringer for Aventinus. And the brewpub Piece in Chicago has a great one too.

My opinion with Weizens is that the yeast is the big factor, whereas Helles or Märzen need skill in the mash and brewing details to make them as good as their original source.

6. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (955) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

Having had both fresh German weissbiers and the Live Oak (from a growler a couple times), I can easily say that the latter can more than hold its own against its European cousins. Now, I still place Wiehenstephaner above it (damn, that stuff is tasty!!), but Live Oak finishes a solid second, with the aforementioned Piece hefe coming in a nice (though hotly-contested) third.

7. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

I'm only a little jealous of your trips. And most definately freshness plays a key roll.

Not sure what roll this plays in it but Texas really does have some strange old world conclaves with traditional roots. Especially in the Austin area. Czech, German, Norwegian. They all strive for authenticity and it doesn't surprise me a traditional beer from that area compares favorably with its Europeon counterpart

pixieskid likes this.
  8. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

While very few American brewers make Bavarian lagers that hold up to the originals, IMO there are a fair number of weissbiers that are in the same ballpark.
    We all have our preferences, but beers like Live Oak’s Hefeweizen are certainly in the discussion and deserve to be. While I haven’t had it all that many times, the times I have had it, I’d say my impression was no different than having a fresh one from HB, Paulaner, etc. in Munich.
    My personal favorite 3 weissbiers are Weihenstephaner, Andechser, and Mahr’s, but it’s not like they’re worlds apart from our best ones over here. Lagers are a different story, but the US isn’t too far off in the world of wheat beers.

steveh likes this.