1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ever been duped by a so called "beer bar"?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

There is a local place about ten seconds drive from where I work that opened up recently called "Millions of Beers". No shit, that is the name. Someone on Facebook rolled in and took a picture of their tap list.....bottle list is no better.

So you ever had a place pop up like this that you thought would be a great craft centric place offering delicious beers only to be disappointed when you went there/found out the truth?

[​IMG]
  2. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

10 seconds drive. Is that even worth starting the car for? ;)
  3. I'll take a white zinfandel, please.
  4. Pinot Noir for me.
  5. To answer the OP's question, I have never been duped that badly. "Millions of Beers"? Wow.
  6. Loose Cannon, and then I'd hit the road.
  7. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

I am rarely duped because I am skeptical about new start ups until they can prove themselves. I am more than willing to give someone a fair shot but too many people out there are simply trying to capitalize on the market go about it half-assed.
    woodchopper, azorie and Errto like this.
  8. [​IMG]
    This is how it's done near me. Usually it's even better than this!
  9. There is s place by me that brags about their beer list- 101 bottles and 50 drafts.
    Their beer list includes Three Floyd's and Russian River which isn't distributed here in NJ.
    I am sure there are others but I haven't bothered studying the list that intently.
    I can't say I was duped because I have never gone there but I assure others have been duped.
    denver10 likes this.
  10. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I went to a bar on City Island in the Bronx called "Beer Garden". They had list of 5 bottles, including 3 BMCs, Blue Moon and Magners. On tap I think they had Bud.

I stuck with bloody maries.
  11. Where is that list. Very often in the summer I find myself in Saratoga. I would love to go.
  12. If they have a location in Atlantic City, I have been there and was indeed duped (not as it relates to RR or Three Floyds; more them having only half of what was advertised, which included nothing desirable).
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  13. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

Blue moon seasonal...best.bar.ever
  14. Never said Millions of Craft Beers did they?
    yamar68 and jrnyc like this.
  15. The Henry Street Taproom. They always have a superb selection!
  16. [​IMG]
    This was a couple weeks ago.
    Cabbage_pants1 likes this.
  17. Whimpers

Whimpers Savant (495) New York Dec 17, 2010

Dood, Bier Abbey in Schenectady...place is bad ass.
  18. Hanzo

Yes let's show more awesome beer lineups at good bars, that is making me feel so much better.
  19. That looks good to me, but to be fair with a name like that it should have some more stuff. But if I walked to a bar like that I could have in order a Fat Tire to start, then a couple Flying Dog Doggie style pales, Sam Seasonal and last a Snow Day and go home just happy as all hell. But that is me, I do not care for super limited crap marked up like crazy because they know people like well me will go in and pay that mark up. I would rather drink them at home at my local stores crazy mark up! haha I kid though, anyway I would still go there if it was 10 seconds from my job.
    BedetheVenerable likes this.
  20. I'd bring a keg to that place and open hand smack the owner in the face!
  21. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (555) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Damn, that list is a punch in the gut if I ever saw one.
  22. tugdriver7

tugdriver7 Savant (405) Maryland Oct 9, 2004

Who even bothers to write "Miller Light" on a chalkboard? If this weren't real, it could be a cartoon in BA magazine.
  23. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

http://www.alsofhampden.com/beerlist.php

That is how it is done near me. Well, how it was done near me before I graduated and moved to VT.
    aminobutyricacid likes this.
  24. Hanzo

If the place was called anything other than Millions of Beers I might have given it a pass, but this really irked me. We have a pizza place down the street that puts on stuff like FW 16th, FBS, Two Hearted, Racer 5 etc and this is the best a place with that name can do?
    BedetheVenerable and Providence like this.
  25. This is the Belgian board at my usual watering hole:
    [​IMG]

The best part is their prices are pretty good. Many beers are about a buck or two more than what you'd pay in a store.

In addition, they have another board with about 15 drafts that frequently change. Always some good stuff, Heavy Seas, FSW, Lagunitas, Oskar Blues, SN. DFH, etc. No duping here
    feloniousmonk and BrownAleMale like this.
  26. Yeah, I would be disappointed too given the name, but that list is better than 95% of the lists at places in my area. An IPA, much less a black IPA, is a rare commodity on draft here. :confused:
  27. [​IMG]

Yeah... I'm a lucky guy. Killer Tap room!
  28. The name is stupid but that lineup isn't the worst thing I've ever seen. You've got 8-9 legit craft taps, most of which will presumably be rotating. Given how close it is to you, it's probably well worth your time and effort to visit frequently and try to push them into a few more adventurous offerings. They'll ultimately put whatever sells on tap.
  29. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

"Yes, what can you tell me about the hop profile of this 'Bud Light.' I'm not familiar with that one."

Ugh
  30. Ya, the name would be my only gripe, but it got you in the door so I guess it did its job, so I guess the more I think about it I would be a little upset to, but if the prices are good I would still make it a stop every once in while.
  31. Goombatron

Goombatron Initiate (20) New Jersey Nov 14, 2012

Where is this in NJ?
  32. You got it
    Brewzer1010 and Nectar like this.
  33. Hackensack, Atlantic City and somewhere else
  34. Next time I'm up that way I will check it out.
  35. victory4me likes this.
  36. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

I like how this turned from a "Ever been duped?" thread into a, "My craft bar is bigger than yours!" thread.
    chcfan, tronester, IamMe90 and 10 others like this.
  37. Firewaters??
    xxbillay and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  38. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (500) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

Uhh, I didn't know Old Raspy, 120 Minute, Old Engine Oil, Celebrator, and Skullsplitter were Belgians. Learn something new every day...
  39. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

If only they had Miller Lite instead of the Miller Light they wrote. After all, it tastes great AND is less filling.
    FremontBar, EConnOG and ewright like this.
  40. bingo
    ESeab likes this.