1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ever been duped by a so called "beer bar"?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Would you like me to correct it to "bottle list" instead

tronto likes this.
  2. TonyTalon

TonyTalon Savant (430) Wisconsin Mar 20, 2012

world of beer Milwaukee = boo

Sam_E likes this.
  3. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I'm confused. Where are the other 999,983 beers?

yamar68, Hanzo and podunkparte like this.
  4. Bahahahahaha! Thats a bunch of bull shit!

El_Zilcho likes this.
  5. We have a place in my home town that fashions itself a "brewing company" that doesnt brew, and has pretty much the same crappy draft list. I prefer to stay home and drink.

6. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

With a gimmicky name like "Millions of Beers" I probably really wouldn't have expected much better.

7. Have you tried unsuccessfully to order these or did you just assume they don't have them? RR doesn't distribute to Delaware either but I've had it in a restaurant there.

8. Yep

9. A "10 second drive" is the type of phrase that makes guys like Tony Horton cringe, 'shouldn't be used in the same sentence! Absolutely, I can see where the name is deceptive and at least now you know and will save yourself the "walk"!

10. Back home in the Midwest the "garden" was the place where we dumped all of our crappy beers...the plants always grew bigger and stronger though.

11. I could milk that for a few ticks.

12. Who calls their beer Dismal? Has to be one if the worst names ever.

Enjoy

13. There is a local chain of beer and burger bars called "JL Beers" that started with a similar tap list. After a while they got a new manager who convinced them to minimize the BMC and make a lot more taps rotating. Now they always have a few new beers on tap each week and they have fewer gateway crafts and they rotate too. Now they have better crowds that don't as for beer specials but ask for what it new on tap instead.

14. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Quite a few in the Phoenix area. And guess what, some are listed in the BeerFly here on BA.

15. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

Eff that. I live in North Dakota and I have 5 places that are 10 times better than that less than a 10 minute drive from my house. A couple of them are also the cheapest I've ever seen for craft beers on tap. Although we may not have the best selection, North Dakota does have some advantages :)

16. GFG

The Grand Forks JL Beers is by far the worst of all of them :( Also by far the most expensive for craft beer in Grand Forks. You can get almost all the same beers they have at 4 other places in Grand Forks, all of which are a minimum of $2 cheaper. Some beers you can even get a full $5 cheaper. They're still far better than the one that started this thread, though. And the burgers are pretty good! They also made the other places really start to step their game up to get better beers. I rarely go to JL anymore, but I'm glad they really made the other, cheaper places step it up.

17. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

There's a place in Austin called "Beerland, Texas" and THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE TAPS.

tronester and JohnBender like this.
  18. There are 2 bars near me with similar names. The pour house and the taproom. The pour house is a very well known beer bar with a phenomenal selection that is always changing, the taproom is the complete opposite.

19. GFG

One thing that pissed me off in my visit to Texas. VERY few restaurants/bars had anything good on tap. Everything was flipping bottles. Most tap beers were domestics, Dos Equis, or Lone Star :eek:. Only places that really had any good tap beers were either tap houses or breweries. Made me pretty damn angry :D

20. I was up in Ocean City and I heard this commercial on The Beach or whatever that radio station is up there. It talked about "Locals Beer and Wine" having craft beer experts on staff and a large craft selection. So after driving and passing by it a couple times while looking for it, I finally saw the small store. I walked inside and they had your standard BMC gas station supply plus some dogfish head. As I quickly walked out I was asked some kind of question about what I was looking for. Maybe I should have explained it to them but I really didn't know what to say at the time and just got the hell out of there.

21. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Depends on where you are in the state... in Austin, it's very strange to go to a local place and not see local beer at least in bottles. I'd be hard-pressed to find anywhere in the Central Texas area with a beer/wine license that doesn't at least have Shiner Bock. :)

22. GFG

Mostly San Antonio and San Marcos for a day. A few did have Shiner Bock on tap, but that was the only craft you could really find on tap at a bar or restaurant and you were lucky to find that. It was completely different for me because In Minnesota/North Dakota at restaurants/bars almost all of the selection is on tap at most places with very few bottles offered. Basically the complete opposite haha.

I know Austin is much better, but I didn't get to make it there this time :( Next year I will for sure, though

23. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

There is a restaurant in Terminal 6 at LAX called Redondo Beach Brewing Company. There is also a place in Terminal 4 at Sky Harbor in Phoenix called Desert Springs Brewing Company. Of course, neither one of those places are brewpubs, and the tap selection is limited to BMC/Sam Adams/Heineken. Grrrr.

24. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

I'll bet the name refers to the Great Dismal Swamp, a huge wetlands area in Virginia.

25. CJLuzzo

CJLuzzo Initiate (0) Indiana Feb 22, 2012

If i've ever been duped it has to be by Old Chicago. I know they are a chain pizza and beer joint but they advertise 110 beers like Baskin Robbins used to scream about 31 flavors. The "101" beers i've seen when going in there never impressed me one bit.

26. mmmbirra

mmmbirra Savant (355) Italy Apr 19, 2009

I've been to bars in the NYC area that have advertised having beers on tap that weren't distributed in NY. I went inside and they were there. I drank them. According to the bartender, the owner had been on a trip out of state and picked up a few kegs of some good stuff not available in NY.

27. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (500) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

No, just saying that because of them being on a Belgians list when they aren't Belgian, nothing more.

28. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Exactly. I don't see how OP got duped.

While I enjoy going after somewhat limited beers to the extent I can, I don't see how a bar is duping people if it cannot get the most limited stuff, especially a new bar.

29. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Come on man. Stop being so ridiculous.

Obviously the place is called "MillionS of Beers," not "A Million Beers."

30. At the Total Wine next door.

31. In the beer world there are definitely worse places to move besides VT...you need a trading partner to send some PA stuff :)

mountsnow1010 likes this.
  32. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Ummm...HELLO???? Top of the second column? FAT TIRE Bitches!

Squidly likes this.
  33. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Yes - to drive somewhere else.

34. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Bingo, and is actually a really good beer that I would order off that board if I were forced into the place.

Not asking for limited stuff or hard to get stuff, but when I can go to Total Wine down the road from there and pick up better kegs than this "beer bar" has to offer, we have a problem.

Seriously though, if you heard about a new wine bar opening and you rolled in and all they had was Boone's Farm you wouldn't feel duped?

LeRose likes this.
  35. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

A menu like that and I'll just get a water or scotch. Or if I reeeeeally need a beer, the Fat Tire.

Squidly likes this.
  36. Buffalo Wild Wings

ewright likes this.
  37. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

I've seen worse offenses to be honest.

38. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I rarely if ever go there, do they sell themselves as a beer bar?

39. They did when I was in college. Back then, I also thought a Heineken was "risky."

40. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

It's not a terrible selection of beers, except for the fact that the name of the place raised expectations. I would visit the place, maybe talk up the bartender or manager and get a better feel for what the place is trying to be.