1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ever been duped by a so called "beer bar"?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, Jan 23, 2013.

1. JohnBender likes this.
  2. im assuming you are talking about the one in mt laurel? agreed, their selection is sub par, however any time i have been there they did have hopdevil which was a plus.
  3. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

One of my 3 favorite, I will say that.
  4. Nope. I am in North Jersey. They opened one in Paramus. I have never been there. I loooked at the beer list on line and saw no reason to go.
  5. jar66su

jar66su Aficionado (150) Virginia Dec 31, 2010

really nice place that has a huge bottle selection and updates their draft menu daily...however, come 5 pm more than half of the items on the draft menu are gone.
  6. Squidly

Squidly Savant (435) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

That is a soul-sucking list, my friend.
  7. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

Looks like they made a typo. Should have been Miller Sale House. (Buckets of Lite at bargain prices!)
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  8. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (285) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

I have been considering turning my local pizzeria into a craft beer bar/pub sort of thing. I have a big following with my food, but I'm afraid if I do go with beer, that it will be worthless. I currently live in WV and my shop is in a small town where I live. It's been in my family for 14 years, but I'm afraid to add craft beer. Not because I'm not loyal to craft brewers but because we don't get a lot of the good stuff in wv. The best stuff we have Is Sierra Nevada, GLBC, Samuel smith, chimay, rogue, Westmalle, Ayinger and weihenstephaner. I personally don't consider flying dog and magic hat to be in the same class as the others I listed. Wv did finally get southern tier, but still. I'd own a "craft beer pub" with my pizzeria and I go across the river to Kentucky to buy all my beer for home. It's kind of sad really. If I could get a brewery like 3F or Founders or even a Bell's I'd take the risk. But until things here change its almost crazy not to sell your everyday "beer drinkers" light American crap lagers. Does anyone know how draft works? The local distributors won't tell me if I can buy draft craft beer from Kentucky for the simple fact they'd rather sell me a keg of Stella, Guinness, and Newcastle and want me to throw the Words, "craft beer" around on my signs. There is nothing more I'd want than to open a craft beer pub and serve my families food recipes, but geez here at home we are another universe behind
  9. Why not start of by adding some Sierra Nevada to you beer list? See if anyone bites. If the SN moves, you can add something else. If it just sits, scrap the idea. I would think that if you can't move SN, you are not going to be able to move other craft beers.
    Eriktheipaman likes this.

10. ^
    Where's this?
  11. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

It's doubtful that you could legally buy beer from across state lines for resale without risking serious repercussions. You're pretty much stuck dealing with your distributor. I'd get a keg of SNPA and see how it goes.
  12. Henry St. Tap Room Saratoga Springs, NY
  13. Where'd you go in San Marcos? It should have been easy to at least find some Live Oak, but you have to avoid the college town dives.
  14. codysjb

codysjb Savant (400) Florida Jun 16, 2010

Never been duped, so to speak, but I did have a bar refuse to sell me Cantillon (after the bar tender agreed earlier) after my group of friends and I had all had two beers each. Apparently we were too intoxicated to appreciate it... after two beers... two beers. Not gonna say which beer bar it was in Amherst, Mass... that actually gets Cantillon... that never updates their website... that gives away free peanuts... but they clearly didn't quite understand how someone could possibly have two beers over two hours while drinking water alongside and not be massive drunk.
  15. jackndan

jackndan Advocate (565) Illinois Feb 25, 2002

Yep, and pretty frequently too. there are a ton of beer bars that serve "pints" in those 13 ounce shaker glasses that weigh about a pound a piece. I'll have one, switch to bottles and never go back.
  16. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Savant (415) Connecticut Jul 16, 2005

Do you ever come in to Schenectady?
  17. I've been a few times since moving up here from Long Island, but not very often.
  18. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Savant (415) Connecticut Jul 16, 2005

Bier Abbey is waiting for you...

[​IMG]
    Whimpers likes this.
  19. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (225) New York Apr 25, 2009

This reminds me of the time I was kindly refused anymore beers after drinking 2 beers (Berkshire something weak to start and a Goose Island Sofie) over the matter of 3 hours to go along with my food on an early Friday night at a "Craft beer" bar in Northampton. Dirty fucking Lies.
    codysjb likes this.
  20. Blackback in Waterbury VT last Friday.
    [​IMG]

The bottle list was one beer long: Cantillon Iris.
  21. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

Wow, those are some high prices. My local store was selling Sucks at $3/~14 oz tulip when they had it on tap. They usually have ST stouts at $5-6 for the same size pour. Granted, it's a beer and wine store with 16 taps.

Current list is

Dogfish Head Hellhound on My Ale
    Green Flash Palate Wrecker
    Dupont Speciale Belge
    Terrapin Wake n Bake
    Foothills Seeing Double
    St. Bernardus Christmas Ale
    Epic Blue Law Porter
    Anchor Old Foghorn 2011
    Foothills Torch Pilsner
    Olde Hickory Death By Hops
    Ska Euphoria
    Dogfish Head Bitches Brew
    Southern Tier Choklat
    Sierra Nevada Bigfoot 2012
    Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout
    Lagunitas A Little Sump'n Wild
  22. codysjb

codysjb Savant (400) Florida Jun 16, 2010

Wouldn't it be ironic if both of these places were owned by the same person... mind blown!
    Onizilla likes this.
  23. Don't forget TRIPLE hops brewed too....
  24. beermenus.com they list the draft list on a ton of bars near you!
  25. what bar is this? upstate ny?
  26. This makes me want a samuel jackson.
  27. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

I used to travel to Orlando for business, and the Orlando Miller's location was where everyone went after work. They were really proud of themselves for having Shipyard Export and Seadog Bluepaw on draft all the time.

Ummm....I'm from freaking MAINE. These beers are not exotic or interesting to me. Really.
  28. For the sake of the residents of Huntington, please do not start another pizza joint/bar. Don't get me wrong though. I love pizza and I love beer, but we already have far too many of these places. Two of these types of restaurants have popped up within the past year. I don't mean to shoot down your idea, but this area is already over-saturated. Maybe open up two separate businesses? Also, it is illegal to sell beer from Kentucky (or any other state for that matter) in WV.
  29. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (435) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

You lucky bastards get Yuengling?! One man's trash....
  30. Hey guys, the thread is titled "ever been duped by a so called "beer bar?" not "show off your beer-bar dicksize to everyone."

OT, the bars in Madison seem to advertise fairly, so I can't recall having this problem, thankfully.
    Eriktheipaman likes this.
  31. codasnap52

codasnap52 Savant (305) Connecticut Jan 24, 2008

OMG I don't even have words! I graduated from Union a few years back, as did my younger sister last year. If this place had existed back in my day...holy hell I would have been selling a kidney by senior year. And only a block from campus! WHAT A PLACE. I never thought I'd see the day Schenectady would have such a fine watering hole. Enjoy it for those nearby
  32. My suburb is nothing but some chain restaurants with your typical selection of Canadian/US/Euro macros. If I'm going to go hang at a bar I always head downtown. 25 minute bus ride in and a $25 cab fare back.

The tap list the OP showed isn't the worst I've seen and It's better than any place within a couple kilometres from my place.
  33. Eventually they will have sold one million and one beers, on draft and in bottle, and won't you be the fool?
  34. Did you try a mix? I'm betting Tire Tread is Fat Tire and Snow Day. Legendary Apple is the Legend and the cider. English Haze is Purple Haze and ??? Cannonball is the Heavy Seas and ...Doggie Style? Black and Blue is Guinness and Blue Moon? These actually sound repulsive.
  35. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (470) New York Jan 24, 2013

Is it not better to have a few macro micros and some BMC than nothing at all? I agree that the name is misleading, but as our movement grows, we need to learn that some people will take baby steps (and stay there) and others will run the full mile. I still would rather see the list you posted than an all BMC menu.
    decimator likes this.
  36. They are all over the place down here... and their food ain't half bad.

However, we always used to call them Lager House because they never have any actual Ales on tap.
    frazbri likes this.
  37. montman

montman Savant (250) Virginia Mar 10, 2009

Haha, Just saw this place this past week driving by, thanks for the heads up on the millions. Soooo, proceed past it and drive directly to Ynot. /local hijack.
    Ok everyone continue with posting awesome chalkboards of better bars. ;)
    Hanzo likes this.
  38. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Off topic, why are you in my city but not in my tasting group?
  39. montman

montman Savant (250) Virginia Mar 10, 2009

Well I didnt know it was your city, my bad. haha. I'll send you a PM.
    Hanzo likes this.
  40. pvllbum

pvllbum Savant (255) Illinois Sep 4, 2007

I find that hard to believe...they'd be fined out the ass for doing it. There was a bar in New York state somewhere where the owner was driving to Wisconsin and picking up cases of Spotted Cow to sell and got caught and lost his liquor license for a year and was fined I want to say $50k but I could be wrong on that number. It was a few years ago.