1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ever been duped by a so called "beer bar"?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, Jan 23, 2013.

1. drocpsu

drocpsu Savant (255) New Hampshire Dec 25, 2006

Nice! I grew up 20 minutes north in Queensbury. I've got to check this place out next time I'm back out there visiting my family.

2. drocpsu

drocpsu Savant (255) New Hampshire Dec 25, 2006

That's not necessarily true. I live in New Hampshire and we have some great beer bar options here.

3. True. I guess it's 'cause I live in this giant pocket of republican douchiness out in South East Mass. Western Mass is great, and as you get further north towards NH, VT, and ME you get some cool places as well. Enjoy what you have!!

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Ok update time.

Went into this place for lunch today. They were running a $3 beer of the month special on a local beer I haven't tried yet (and wasn't written on the board) so I went for it.

I should have expected it, but I was actually surprised, it's frozen mug time....beer was super cold as well.

[​IMG]

Overall the place has tremendous potential if it had the right owner/management. They have a niche (skee ball for free during lunch, and tournaments at night) and the food, while overpriced ($10-$12 for a sandwich?) was decent. The beer selection...well the original post covered that.

It took us an hour to eat here, they only had one cook and one bartender that had to help the cook because he was swamped so overall the experience wasn't great, but it certainly wasn't the worst place I've ever been. If they had better beer I could see myself going back.

5. Station Taproom, Downingtown

6. Ahh OK. Considering it's 10 minutes from my house I guess I should have recognized that....

7. EDAPOE51

EDAPOE51 Initiate (0) Indiana Mar 13, 2010

There is a place in Muncie called the Heorot that is awesome. If I remember correctly thy have 60 tap lines and 200+ bottle types. I went there in my younger days, when I had no idea about craft beer and didnt drink.

8. Sad, when they start offering up blends...

9. be that guy and go for the pinot ;)

10. beernut

beernut Savant (340) New Jersey Jun 6, 2008

Duped no, hornswoggled...yes.
    at least they have 999,983 bottles of beer.

11. Hanzo

Just an update on this.....I went by and the place was boarded up. Made me kind of sad. I now feel bad I didn't say something. Place had potential, but now I am back to having no chance of a true craft beer bar in my city.

mychalg9 likes this.
  12. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Champion (945) California Oct 13, 2007

In Brazil, there are some bars which include the name choperia, which translates to drafthouse. When I think of a drafthouse, I'm thinking at least 20 taps. Unfortunately, choperia just means that they only have Brahma and Brahma Escuro on-tap, two mass produced beer which are available at many places.

13. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (605) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

He drives 3,000 miles per hour, so yes.

14. teraflx

teraflx Savant (395) Arizona Feb 4, 2013

Sounds like all the places on my side of Phoenix ( Peoria to be exact), AZ. Very limited choices, they may have 20+ beers and if I am lucky 1 may be a decent beer. The east side of Phoenix ( Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa) has a much better selection.

15. Hanzo

Well I'll be damned.....the place actually had a fire destroy it....here I thought they had just closed up shop.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/chesapeake/millions-of-beers-suffers-fire-damage

16. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

YOU KILLED IT!! ;)

Hanzo likes this.
  17. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

beertunes likes this.
  18. dougfur

dougfur Savant (320) New York Jan 24, 2011

Can't remember where it was, but once I was at a restaurant that advertised like, 25 beers on tap, or something like that. I asked for the list and the waitress rattled off, "Bud, Bud light, Miller, Miller lite, Coors, Coors light, Busch, Busch light..........on and on until it peaked with Molson Canadian.
    The list at the beginning of this thread would certainly be better than average here in the Adirondacks.

19. Yeah that was a decent blaze too, the call came out right as my shift was ending. I never went there due to it's proximity to the Eagle's Nest which is not a place I'd ever like to be caught in outside of work situations.