1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ever buy beers just for trading?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Admbmb92, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Admbmb92

Admbmb92 Aficionado (215) Oregon Oct 6, 2013

Do you ever keep some beer stocked just for trading purposes? Now that I've started trading, I've started to seek out stuff that I'm not crazy about drinking immediately but wouldn't mind having to age or keep for trading. Like today I picked up Sucre and 2 bottles of consecration both are awesome but could potentially trade for something I can't get where I live. Sorry I'm rambling

dirtyhalos likes this.
  2. elchicodelgado

elchicodelgado Savant (275) Texas Mar 3, 2008

Sure, trading doesn't happen by accident. I don't pull every limited beer I can find off the shelf just to trade it but I'll pick up extra beers to trade.

mythaeus likes this.
  3. asams10

asams10 Savant (340) North Carolina Mar 19, 2014

We're all a little drunk at this point. But yeah, I'll grab stuff I know will trade when it comes out. Just as long as you aren't aging any IPAs more than 24 hours. :rolleyes:

mythaeus and evilcatfish like this.
  4. drowland

drowland Savant (250) Georgia Jul 24, 2008

How else would anyone get any beers that they trade? For free?

Shroud0fdoom and kemoarps like this.
  5. ChuckHardslab

ChuckHardslab Savant (370) Texas Jan 25, 2012

No, but that's probably because I don't ever trade.

Mitchell57 likes this.
  6. cyrushire

cyrushire Advocate (620) Florida May 25, 2012

i try to buy as many as i can at brewery only bottle releases for this purpose, especially if i can have it on tap while I'm there.

7. Of course. There are beers that I am easily able to get locally that people elsewhere can't get. I'm sure others feel the same, and are happy to trade. That is how great beers reach people outside their distribution area.

Shroud0fdoom and richobrien like this.
  8. So you're the reason why limited releases fly off the shelf.

Mitchell57 and richobrien like this.
  9. Absolutely.

10. I buy beer that I like, and beer that I think/know my trading partners will like. There's more to giving than there is in receiving.

11. mj81

mj81 Advocate (555) New Jersey Sep 11, 2013

Definitely bought beers specifically for a trade but usually as something extra I think trading partner will like.

12. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Yes.

Oldladyfingers and mythaeus like this.
  13. chardlogic

chardlogic Savant (290) Florida Feb 18, 2011

I think what the OP is hinting at is: don't be guys like us.

14. danwho

danwho Savant (405) California Feb 18, 2010

Yes.
    AleSmith comes to mind. I usually max out on the special releases, save a bottle for the cellar and send
    the rest to my partners. Esp since I can drink it (mostly) whenever I want at the brewery.
    Alpine, same thing.

wheelzntoys likes this.
  15. Of course we buy things "for a trade" since we're not all robbing beer stores, and since many of my 'trades' are actually BIFs, I typically go shopping after the 'trade' is already 'agreed upon' (i.e. targets have gone out), and sometimes this is how I do it for a direct 1-on-1 trade.

I'm assuming what OP is actually asking is "Without a specific trade already in mind, do you buy things for the sole purpose of being traded away"

In this case the answer is 'rarely'. I've bought a few Damnations and will be picking up a Supplication over the weekend just because I know they have trade value and in some areas are hard to get, but they aren't exactly flying off the shelf for me (if you know where the right shelf is).

I've also bought growlers from Tired Hands that I had no trade lined up for and had no intention of drinking, but I've also never had a problem finding them a home.

Idrankitall likes this.
  16. Absolutely.

17. markgugs

markgugs Champion (980) New Jersey Dec 20, 2006

of course I have. I highly doubt anyone who trades hasn't.

I mean, no, what are you talking about? I was totally planning on drinking 2 cases of Arthur all by myself.

thatoneguymike and gmo_vr626 like this.
  18. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I pick up stuff for people who are asking for it or who I know will appreciate a nice unexpected box.

19. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

He'll ya ,who doesn't .

20. patdunkel

patdunkel Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 4, 2014

All the time. Every time I buy NG sours. Never bought one for myself, ever.
    Pat

21. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (325) Florida Jan 26, 2012

Yup. Marshal Zhukov. Can't stand it myself, but it's gotten me some awesome stuff. Now you have to chase trucks. First moved to Florida local store had 4 years of it and Avery Czar. Good old days.

22. I'll buy stuff just to trade but I'd never trade a beer I haven't ticked.

23. ^This is why I've never traded. Picked up Jack's Abby PB&J and Cocoa-Nut the other day...considered grabbing a bunch extra to trade and didn't (got an extra Cocoa-Nut because I wanted to try it with some age on it). Got to drink everything I can buy here first.

24. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (600) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Of course. I can get funky buddha beer on tap, growlers are for trades or friends. When it comes to limited stuff like BA Big Sound, well, if I only get one I'm drinking it.

25. dman127

dman127 Aficionado (240) Illinois Jul 11, 2011

Yep, whenever I make a New Glarus run across the border.