Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Ever found something in cellar you forgot about?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by raczkowski, Mar 15, 2013.

1. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (395) Florida May 16, 2011 Verified

i have seen some of the cellars here that are phenomenal...some of us dont have the space so we store our beer in boxes adn put in a closet or a storage area...i have lookd in my boxes recently and forgotten about some of the beers i have accumulated. has this ever happened to anyone? recently i looked in my boxes and found a BA big sound and bcbs coffee that i did not account for in my online cellar. whats your beer you have forgotten about?
  2. GRG1313

GRG1313 Poobah (1,020) California Jan 15, 2009 Verified

I'm only going to tell this story since it took place a while ago and since most of my tasting friends have been the "beneficiaries" of the find. (I'm now even cleaning out my cellar with more diligence as you may be seen since I've been giving away boxes of beer with some regularity.)

I'm forever finding bottles in boxes that are mismarked; bottles between boxes; bottles in wine racks, etc. etc. Suffice it to say, indeed, I find things I forgot about all the time.

Like I said, I'm only going to give one example which should suffice. About a year ago when I started my desire to reduce and organize my wine and beer cellars I was organizing my wine cellar. It was actually one third of a walk in cellar that I shared with a friend and in which I primariliy kept wine. I had another cellar, smaller, in which I placed beer. But, from time to time I would, apparenlty, place bottles of beer in this primarily wine cellar. I sometimes forgot about them since I'd put them in wine boxes or shove them behind wine, etc.

Anyway, to get to the point (finally) I was working on cleaning out this 1/3 of a cellar so that I could stop paying for it and consolidate. I had cases of wine to move.

One case, a white box in the back of the cellar hidden in the farthest-most corner had a prestigious label on its side and I immediately said to myself,....I thought I might have had more of those. But.....could it be?

Yes; it was a full case of Duck Duck Gooze that I forgot I had and was, for all intent and purpose, lost. Nice find. My friends and I drank them.
  3. sandman3479

sandman3479 Advocate (570) Connecticut Dec 8, 2006 Verified

I find bottles in my cellar I forgot about somewhat often.

Most notabable recently: HF Flora :)
  4. Demer

Demer Savant (270) New Jersey Dec 13, 2010 Verified

Once I installed lights on all my shelves i found so much shit hiding in the back. I felt like a hoarder.
  5. hooliganlife

hooliganlife Advocate (665) Missouri Apr 12, 2007 Verified

i only have a few hundred bottles but i always find shit i forgot about, a few are

vanilla BCS
    a few others
  6. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (415) New York Jul 16, 2011 Verified

I keep thinking "I should buy dirty bastard"... was organizing part of my "cellar" (aka an overcrowded pantry shelf of beer) and saw an f'ing pack of dirty bastard. For the life of me, I don't recall ever buying it.

The beer inventory is becoming a blur :oops:
    GRG1313 likes this.
  7. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (395) Florida May 16, 2011 Verified

mine istoo....to the point where i am gettng an extra beer fridge smaller than the one in my avatar to stoe my cellarable beers....they have been in a storage compartment in my bar up to this point...figured wouldnt hurt to get a constant temperature on some of these beers.
  8. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

Came across a 6 pack each of Batch 7000 and 9000. they were in my old cellaring location and I must have forgotten about them in the move. The 7000 held up better than I thought
  9. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I usually have around 200-250 bottles and I have yet to forget anything.
  10. muletrane

muletrane Savant (420) Pennsylvania Oct 26, 2006

No. Never.
  11. MADPolo

MADPolo Savant (465) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

Shit, I wish my "Cellar" was stocked enough to have that problem!
  12. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Yes, all the time. Makes me wish all bottles were dated. I know some of them are over 5-6 years old, where were they hiding?
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (965) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I track everything I have on a speadsheet so can't say that I've forgot about anything.
  14. mikecharley

mikecharley Advocate (545) Pennsylvania Nov 6, 2008 Verified

I have a googledoc that I now am diligent about updating, so now I forget nothing. However, 6 months ago, I wasn't near as dedicated about updating when I took somehting out. About 6 months ago, I found 2 bottles of 08 Chimay blue. They were hiding behind a box, placed there in anticipation of filing them (way back in 08). Lost for 4 years. After this, I redid my cellar from scratch, and made a new inventory spreadsheet, and update it everytime I add or subtract anything. It is very handy to have an accurate list of what is down there, and exactly where it is.
  15. Onizilla

Onizilla Savant (300) New York Apr 25, 2009 Verified

I completely forgot I bought a 1/6th Keg of Brooklyn Chocolate Stout (11-12) and kept it in my fridge at my job until the previous owner was clearing out and found I tagged it, Looked it up and saw I bought it. I also apparently bought last years Pumpking 1/6th and have been sitting on that too. Does this count?
    As for actual BOTTLES, I had a bottle of Black Ops ('11) I'd forgotten about on my fridge door and a bottle of Local 2 ('11) I'd forgotten about right next to it.

I guess I just keep forgetting about Brooklyn things. I really need to spread sheet my stash.
  16. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Ever since I moved into a place that has an unfinished basement that I can use as a cellar, I've been drinking down my cellar, but also organizing it better (and doing a better job tracking it in my spreadsheet). Sometimes in the past I would make minor mistakes, delete too many of a bottle, not take something off when I drink, but it's never been too far off, at least that I can recall.

But a buddy of mine did just find a Rare in his cellar that he thought he had, then couldn't find and mourned for, then found again. A truly inspiring tale for us all.