1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ever periodically lose interest in beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Derranged, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I notice that every now and again, for about one to two or three months at a time, I don't have the same passion for drinking craft/trying new beers as I normally do.

During these periods of time, I still drink craft options, but I tend to drink more liquor and don't care as much about beer.

Recently I went about two months like this. Now I'm back into beer. Anyone else ever go through this from time to time?
    beerepiphany and BierGartenok like this.
  2. Never. I've had bad experiences with other forms of alcohol, so beer is the only thing I ever drink. I never really get bored since there are thousands of different brews. But in general, i get what you're saying. I certainly get bored with certain styles.
  3. God no. What are you drunk?
  4. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I can't say I lose interest but I love when the release schedule slows down come mid summer.
  5. Derranged

I was last night. And like almost every other weekend night for the past 14 years. :confused:

You have to remember one thing. I was strictly a binge drinker for ten years before I really got into craft. In fact I probably drank too much in my early to mid twenties, I had concerns about alcoholism.

I'm sort of stuck between being a craft drinker and party-drunk. Not sure when I'll make a full conversion. But I've certainly slowed drinking hard over the past two years, I can't do what I used to.
    JuicesFlowing likes this.
  6. It's cool, I was joking.
  7. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

I do, but it's not usually for those lengths of times -- more like a couple weeks every few months or so. Just seems like the styles have become mundane; been there, done that -- yawn. And I usually don't switch to something else -- just don't drink as often. I think it's a palate, appreciation re-charge.
  8. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

I never get tired of good craft beer but my wallet does quite often.
  9. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Yes happens to me every few years. Right now is a low for me so I'm trying hard to go after styles I haven't enjoyed in awhile to change things up. Also going back to wine & spirits. I fear if I burn out in beer much further it will be permanent.
    beerepiphany and je1129 like this.
  10. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

i kind of drift in an out of the limited release and rare beers. sometimes i chase the rare beers an sometimes i drink my locals for months and some seasonals.
  11. Only if I get tired of alcohol in general will I ever get tired of beer.

Note: *The accuracy of this statement will be reassessed in ten years time* ;)
  12. I go back and forth between eating plenty of food and working out for 3-4 months (lifting and cardio) to drinking beer, not working out, and not eating too much. I know it's not healthy, but I am not over weight, my blood work is always good, and it keeps my guilt free when I do over-indulge with the DIPA's, Imperial Stouts and everything in between. :D
    Lantern likes this.
  13. No, nope, nein, nyet...
    frazbri and Bitterbill like this.
  14. abraxel

abraxel Savant (375) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

Hasn't happened to me yet! My interest in beer has changed over time, though: At first I had a bit of a ticker mentality ("never try the same beer twice!") and then I got interested in trading (mostly BIFs) but now I've settled down a bit ;) I'm more interested in homebrewing and I seek out limited releases when they're convenient, but mostly drink my good locals.

I've only been into beer for about three years; I'll probably be able to give a better answer in a decade or two -- I could see myself putting beer on the back burner and exploring the worlds of wine and liquor at some point in there. We'll see :)
    Beerontwowheels likes this.
  15. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

What?? NEVER.

I never lose interest in beer, good food, Red Sox baseball, Bollywood films or quality time with my beautiful, sexy wife.
    cruzmissile72 likes this.
  16. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (555) California Aug 26, 2009

I've sort of been going through a period like this the last couple of weeks. I was even down in Mass last week and walked out of Julios having only spent $30 on 2 bombers and a 6 pack. Normally, if I'm in the area down there, I make a haul of at least twice that much but I just wasn't feeling it. I've still been drinking good beer almost every day but it's been a lot of old standbys like SNPA. This all follows a busy summer of beer drinking that saw several trips to HF and The Alchemist and culminated in a really tasty and beery birthday in August. A couple days later I found an old book my brother had about whiskies of the world, which renewed my love for single malts and put beer on the back burner temporarily.
  17. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

That won't do at all, I'm afraid, so banish that thought.
  18. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Wasn't as into it this summer. Other interests and pursuits took more of my time. That and I wanted to lose some weight (down 40 pounds) and cut the liquid calories to do so. That said, I still averaged 2-3 beers a week, went to a couple beer festivals, wrote a few reviews, and logged into this website daily for some banter. Cold dreary months spent indoors with weekly special releases/tappings is right around the corner so I'm sure things will pick up real soon.
  19. Last Saturday I completely lost interest in beer when I woke up with a bit of a hangover. By 7pm, I felt much, much better and beer once again had my undivided attention.:D
  20. Yes, for the period that I am hung over.
  21. Yes, there are certianly brief periods of time where I have no desire to drink beer. After a couple of days and too much time spent perusing the discussion on BA, I am ready to drink again.
  22. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

This happens to me only for relatively short periods of time:
    When I'm sleeping
    When I'm spending time w/ the family
    When I'm working (sometimes)
    When I'm making sweet, sweet love to my lady

Otherwise, not really. But what you're describing is probably healthy.
    Azzy, AngusOg and IcemanCometh like this.
  23. I have slowed down too. I went from drinking 4 days a week to just 2. Of course, I still drink too much on Saturday. Every saturday. Oh well.
  24. reto21

reto21 Aficionado (140) Alabama Aug 31, 2011

Hahaha this must be a joke.
  25. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

I never really get drunk or have hangovers, so that doesn't make me want to take a break. But when I think about how much I drink and how it's way over the reccomended amount to maintain a healthy liver, it makes me want to take a while off.
  26. KYGunner

KYGunner Savant (455) Kentucky Sep 16, 2012

I have not lost interest in beer, but in the subsets that seem to get popular. IPA's are everywhere now and my palate seems to crave stouter beers at the moment.
  27. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

Wiinston Churchill drank prodigious amounts of alcohol. He led his nation through WW2, wrote scores of books and lived to the age of 90.
    RobertColianni likes this.
  28. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

It definitely happens to me. In fact, since you posted this, I just looked back and saw that I haven't had a single beer since 10 days ago, and only about 3 beers in the last 3 weeks. It will pick up again, especially since we're heading into my favorite beer-time of the year, but it definitely happens to me every few months.
  29. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

If I drink several in one day, I can easily go several days without wanting another one, even if I don't get drunk. I just fall out of the mood.
  30. I think I was starting to feel this way a couple months back. It seemed like I was shelling out a ton of money for all these beers I'd never had before but just had to try. Most were fine but few justified the price. So of late I've been trying to keep it more simple, exploring a lot of traditional German beers I'd overlooked for a long time, as well as German style beers by American breweries. I guess it helps that a lot of great marzens are hitting the shelves these days...

Anyway, take a break or mix it up and I think it's pretty likely your interest will return.
  31. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

And for every Winston Churchill, there's some hobo you and I have never heard of who drank prodigious amounts of alcohol and died alone, face-down in an alley. For some of us, moderation and balance are good things.
  32. Derranged

It has returned, thankfully.
  33. I often go through times when I prefer to drink dark rum. mmmmm Mount Gay extra old is so good.
  34. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Texas Jan 20, 2010

I know where you are coming from. But for me it's just being overwhelmed with big beers. So I'll take a break for a week or two. But I rarely get drunk from beer anymore. That's what Grey Goose and Red Bull is for.
  35. superspak

superspak Champion (900) Michigan May 5, 2010

Nope, but there are some nights when I really dont feel like having a beer. But as far as interest, even on those days I will still be reading homebrew science articles or something :D
  36. morimech

morimech Advocate (665) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

Never for an extended time. I occasionally transition into trying different wines to expand the palate. And other times there is nothing like a glass of a nice Scotch or Bourbon that absolutely touches the soul. Other alcohol I find are means just to get drunk and then what is the point. I realized I am not in my 20s anymore.
    3leven likes this.
  37. mtlasley

mtlasley Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 27, 2012

I never really lose interest but there will be weeks where my dollar goes elsewhere. Sometimes a man just needs a gin and tonic.
    EconomicIrony and 3leven like this.
  38. After close to 20 years of beer infatuation I burned out between 2001- 2009. Thought it was going to permanent as well but here I am.
    TongoRad likes this.
  39. mtlasley

mtlasley Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 27, 2012

I'd also like to back up my earlier statement with "I don't know"

I started drinking craft as soon as I turned 21.....this January. Zimbo makes me realize that I really, really got into beer fast and hard. Seems like I've been doing this forever and it hasn't even been a year.
  40. Awesome. And FWIW, going hard at it for 20 year had no bearing on my burn out. More a case of marriage, small children and what was then a moribund beer market/scene when I burned out. Beer things are smoking here now.