1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ever periodically lose interest in beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Derranged, Sep 16, 2012.

1. I've had periods where I didn't drink very much beer at all. Times where I've been dieting for a particular purpose or another. That said, I didn't lose interest during those times, just kept myself from having beer.
  2. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I have been a BA for only about two and a half years, so I'm still peaking. But I try to practice temperance with both consumption and spending. I haven't had a beer in three days (too hot) and now I'm enjoying a Trader Joe's Mission St. IPA. A BA needs to appreciate easy on the wallet and easy on the liver stuff in between going after the Beasts.
  3. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

When I think that is happening to me, I start to explore other styles until I find one that works for me.
  4. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

For me it's usually around November-January. Especially at the deer lease when bourbon and scotch are the nights drinks of choice. And yes beer is drank in the day.
  5. I'm at the stage where I want to drink more beer. I could easily drink a 6 pack a day if my wallet and my conscious would let me. Before I started drinking better beer I would go long periods without having any at all. Now that I drink crafts and local good stuff, I have to remind myself to moderate. I seldom if ever get drunk though. A good buzz, sure. Drunk...hardly ever.
  6. I lose interest when it starts to take a ridiculous amount of effort to land beers
    tencents likes this.
  7. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

I may lost interest in certain styles of beer from time to time, but beer is very near and dear to my heart. No way have I ever lost interest in it.
    gtermi likes this.
  8. Don't really lose interest in beer so much as having a longing for something different, usually wine.
  9. I've had periods when I've gone as long as six months between periods of interest. I took a liking to Bacardi 151 a few months ago, and I've been 99% drinking either that straight or in blends line 24 Karat Nightmare. (That's equal parts Bacardi 151, Jagermeister, Goldschlager, and Rumpleminze, very German). But as of tonight I'm back in with beer. I have over 120 bottles in my cellar and it's time to go through them.
  10. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

Sometimes i only drink bourbon for a few weeks at a time. I like the heat.
  11. Churchill: "Always remember, I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me."
  12. yeah i did last year for some reason. from like june-december 2011 i didn't drink that much beer. i was super into gin though. still am.
  13. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Yikes.. Bacardi 151 is scary, that stuff is tough to get down.
  14. Derranged

Yea, hard to avoid drinking hard on a Saturday.
  15. Dubber55

Dubber55 Aficionado (180) New York Sep 16, 2008

i switch up between single malt and craft beer but i never lose interest. mmm beer is good!
  16. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

Never get tired of beer, nor to I get the taste to switch to hard liquor or wine.

I do however go through periods of time where all I want to do is try new stuff, and then periods where all I want to do is drink beers I know are favorites.
  17. 7clutch

7clutch Aficionado (245) Florida Sep 14, 2012

Same here. When I'm working out a lot my body craves water, protein/fruit shakes, and food. When I'm not working out, I basically just drink a lot of beer haha.
    Haha this too. I insist to my wife that I'm done with beer forever and I'm going to start being smarter with our money and not drinking too much and then that same day a local bar posts that they have a beer or two that I've never tried and suddenly everything I said goes out the window. :)
    deadonhisfeet likes this.
  18. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (465) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Occasionally when I am getting head I stop thinking about beer. Occasionally.
  19. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (685) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Blasphemer!
  20. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

This is exactly how I feel. I change it up every few weeks so I never get tired of a style
  21. Sometimes for a day or two after a festival or big tasting event I will pass on beer.
  22. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Same here for me. I had two or three beers a week tops while my kids were in their single numbers, even stopped completely for a few years to make wife happy. Kids grown now, wife's happiness somewhere on the list below consideration of my own now, beer much much better now, what will I put in the fridge for after work today?
  23. Sort of the same thing here too. I never really lost interest, it is just that I fell into a 7 year rut for the same reasons (major change of lifestyle, marriage, kids, etc.). The beers I was drinking during that 'rut' were varied, and all of exceptional quality mind you (fave German, Belgian, English and American classics) but I didn't have my finger on the pulse on what was new, what was coming down the pike, or where to get it. At this point I'd say that I'd say that I have a pretty good sense of balance going on all fronts and I can see this feeling lasting indefinitely; and that being on BA was pretty instrumental in helping me get there.
  24. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

Yes. When I get my health screening results back, and my triglycerides and GGT levels are through the roof.
  25. It's funny but I was thinking about something like this just this past weekend. I started out with some high ABV beers [> 9%] on Friday but went to mid-level [7% - 8%] on Saturday. On Sunday I went to session beers [5% - 6%]. I decided I enjoyed the mid-level and session beers more so I came to the conclusion that I have lost interest in the higher ABV beers for the time being. I'm sure I'll be back but for now, it's nothing more than 7.5% for me.
  26. Kidding and jokes aside, this happens to me a few times a year. Usually it's more from being busy with running a homebrew club and beer festival than the beer itself, though. I still drink beer often during this time, I just don't pick it apart or get into it as much.
  27. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I am very hot and cold with hobbies for the most part. So there may come a day when I don't look for Tweets about new beers arriving at my local beer shop, but for now, I can't see my craft enthusiasm dropping any time soon.
  28. Highbrow

Highbrow Savant (475) California Jan 7, 2011

yep. over the last decade, some of what cavedave & Zimbo mentioned. but not just beer, all drinking, cigars, get togethers, events & entertainment in general are less. typically a beer a week or sometimes one every 2 weeks has been the norm for the last 5 or so years.

experience-wise, the first period of lost interest i recall, when i was 17 i got hooked up with this dream summer job for CA Beverage Distributors. i remember first or second day on the job, a damaged case came back on a truck. i peeked inside, there were live maggots. i promptly proceeded towards the dumpsters arms stretched in front of me with case as far away from self as possible when the foreman yelled: "Where the hell are you going"? i was thrown a greenish rag (face towel dimensions) & was instructed to clean = smear & shine the mold on the 5 good quart bottles then discard the box with the 1 broken quart/glass. i later realized the rag was mostly greenish itself because it was completely covered in mold. needless to say my beer enthusiasm soared south.
  29. Im content with being more casual with craft beer. Ill trade and go to some launch parties but no where near as much as I used to. I think it's easy to get obsessive about it because there is so much going on all the time. Then you just get burnt out from it and lose interest. You need to find a middle point.
  30. I'm completely burnt out from all the beer I can get in 6/12 packs because I know longer have as much money to burn on bombers. I'm spending much more time in homebrewing and less time shopping for beer and I don't see this fact changing for the foreseeable future.
  31. I go through periods, depending on what else I have going on. I do not go through them as much now that I cut back to 3-5 beers a week. When I was popping twice that I would get burnt out.
  32. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

Not yet but I definitely see myself getting burnt out on trading one-offs. It's hard for me to stop myself from trading for the newest releases (Jester King Rodeos, BA Sexual Chocolate, CCB Leon). It's just not worth the time and money to do so, I should just be satisfied with what my trading partners pick up for me and releases in the area.
    brewbetter likes this.
  33. Burnt out isn't exactly the right term for me, and I always remain interested in beer, but my tastes definitely shift subtly over time. For me it's a pretty seasonal thing. During the winter I'm more likely to crave a cocktail or a glass of red wine when I get home from work than I am a beer. Doesn't mean I stop drinking beer entirely, just scale back to 2 to 3 a week. Then as the weather warms up again I inevitably find myself reaching for the beer more and more often.

Beer is a fantastic thing, but it's not the only fantastic thing. Drink what you want. That beer craving will come back for sure.
  34. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

If I'm sick it's the last thing I'm thinking about...
  35. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (640) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

I dont ever really burnout but I do get into making mixed drinks during the summer sometimes.
  36. The day after a long night of drinking when I'm hangover and sometimes the day after that too.
  37. 3leven

3leven Aficionado (140) Jun 28, 2012

It got colder and I was putting on some chub for the winter and got really into Bourbons and Cognacs last year. I got really into it when I started bartending at this awesome hotel with some wicked choices, discovered Bombay Sapphire and chilled a bit on the beer, and I'm back into it because I'm working in a liquor store with a decent selection. Just wanting to try different things.
  38. Yeah, that's how I felt at first. But I'm an ink chemist and I work with solvents, so the smell doesn't bother me. I just chase it with Pepsi and it's all good.

But now, I have a glass of Grumpy Monk in front of me, and another Sam Adams in the fridge... and it feels SO good to be back!
  39. Derranged

Way back when there was a time when I getting bombed almost every night. Gradually slowed down throughout the years and I'm thankful I did.

I wound up getting drunker than I planned on Saturday night though. Went to a bar with "meh" options. After Hennessy on the rocks, pints of Blue Point Pumpkin, Sam Adams October Fest and some shots of Honey Jack Daniels.. Ugh. No good. Now I remember why I stopped taking shots for the most part. :eek:
  40. I tend to burn out more on certain styles then I do on beer in general. Just gotta back off for a while and find something else that really hits the spot. Come back to it and you will wonder why you ever got tired of it in the first place.