1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ever take a vacation day to brew?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by JUNCK, Feb 22, 2013.

1. JUNCK

JUNCK Aficionado (135) Washington Jan 7, 2011

I did! Just moved into a new place, first baby is due in 2 weeks and just bought a bunch of new brew toys PLUS yeast starter is ready.

Real work is over - fun work starts tomorrow morn.

2. DubbelMan

DubbelMan Aficionado (170) New York Mar 17, 2009

Every day I can brew is a vacation day :D

FeDUBBELFIST and MMAJYK like this.
  3. cracker

cracker Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 2, 2004

Congrats on the upcoming baby. Word of advice, if you don't want your wife to kill you then don't brew for at least three months after the baby is born. Trust me...

4. joshodonn

joshodonn Savant (310) Florida Jan 21, 2011

Well said. My son is 17 months and I've only brewed a handful of times since his birth. Prior to his arrival I brewed at least once a month.

5. cracker

cracker Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 2, 2004

Our second child is due in August so I'm going to try and get in as many batches as I can before then!

6. premierpro

premierpro Savant (315) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

I have left work early to brew.

7. Crack2000

Crack2000 Aficionado (200) Texas Dec 10, 2010

I took a job in November that has half days every Friday. I'm able to get started on Fridays and be just about done by the time the fam gets home from school/work. Win-win. I'm brewing batch #4 for 2013 today :)

8. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (305) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

Today!

9. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

I've thought about it. But it would be more like calling in sick then taking vacation. It seems like every Tuesday or Wednesday this winter is 50 and sunny. By the time Saturday rolls around it is in the 20's and windy.

bgjohnston likes this.
  10. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Yep. The only nice thing about graduate school is the flexible schedule, which means I can sneak in a brew day (Read cranking out 3 beers in a session) during the week while my wife is at work, so I can spend time with her and the dogs on the weekend.

11. Vacation days, sick days and 1/2 days

inchrisin and hopdog09 like this.
  12. dhartogs

dhartogs Savant (350) Virginia Apr 29, 2010

Good luck brewing with the new baby, I have a 7 week old at home and brewed once, the in-laws were visiting so we had extra hands. Also I brewed with a reliable friends, and there are times when my wife needed something asap, so I couldn't pay 100% attention to brewing as I usually do but my friend stepped in when I couldn't. Good luck and congrats with the baby.

13. spartan1979

spartan1979 Savant (385) Missouri Dec 29, 2005

I've taken vacation days to brew. Especially if I had a couple extra to burn.

14. I took a vacation day just the other day to brew a beer with a buddy for his wedding. He doesn't work a M-F like me so it was the only way to do it

15. Gilmango

Gilmango Savant (305) California Jul 17, 2007

Brewing with babies and/or kids is not that hard if you can be flexible as a brewer. For instance I brew all grain for all the obvious reasons re cost and control, but to get a batch done after kids in bed I'd happily do an extract/partial mash batch. You can still brew great stuff that way in half the time (as all grain) and still save a ton of money vs. buying craft 6ers.

If and when I do an all grain batch I put it on the family calendar / give the wife ample warning and I try to be available to help with the kids or either of them whenever I can - much of a 5-6 hour all grain session is not super active. If you can maybe prepare a great chili, stew, pasta, or bbq while brewing so dinner is taken care of you get bonus points.

16. Ejayz

Ejayz Savant (280) Iowa May 15, 2011

I did last week! My coworkers asked me why I would use a vacation day to brew to which I replied " Because I can!" it was a great day to say the least.

17. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

Maybe. Ever take a sick day?

18. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

I'm quite concerned with the level of slacker-ness displayed here. I would have thought it to be higher. :rolleyes:

I would take a vacation day to brew if I really needed to and couldn't otherwise find the time to brew and was running out of beer. :D

19. Got married and quick my job, so everyday is a vacation

20. kneary13

kneary13 Savant (310) Massachusetts Jan 30, 2010

congrats. i have 6 week old twin boys. and yes, i def take off days to brew. i think the best part is how empty my LHBS is during the day, as opposed to friday nights and all day saturday and sunday.

21. JUNCK

JUNCK Aficionado (135) Washington Jan 7, 2011

Thanks everyone! I am thinking about taking one more day off to brew before she arrives so I'll have 10 gallons of new beer.

22. AlCaponeJunior

I have been quite surprised in that even on weekdays, someone is always in the homebrew store shopping. Good to see since it's a brand new store.

23. My newborn will be two weeks on Monday and I have brewed two batches. I.am brewing one next week as well and brew all grain. It is really all about getting your partner used to the occurrence. My passion is brewing, so I think she knows I would go nuts without it. My passion is also my kids so I am constantly giving them attention during the downtimes as well! Good luck though! It will definitely change you, but if brewing is a passion...make sure you don't leave that void in your soul! Cheers!

24. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (405) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

No......never......I have stayed home sick and felt that relaxing during some hobby time would do me some good.

25. AlCaponeJunior

Why waste a vacation day when you can call in sick!

26. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (415) Utah May 2, 2006

Nope, but I'm usually brewing on National Holidays.

27. tngolfer

tngolfer Aficionado (215) Tennessee Feb 16, 2012

Guilty. I took a day to play golf in the morning and brew in the afternoon. It's not a regular occurrence because I work 4-hr Fridays and can usually be almost done before my wife comes home.

To the OP, there will be plenty of time to brew once the baby arrives. I have three kids so speaking from experience, babies sleep A LOT. You might look into extract brewing which will shorten brew day. BTW, congratulations on the new baby!

28. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (405) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

I have 130ish sick days banked. And that's just the first 13 years of a 30 year career. I can only get credit for 180 when I retire in 17 years. I have some to spare.

29. PTO day Last Thursday to brew my birthday beer. I told them I needed to "emotionally refocus myself"

30. udubdawg

udubdawg Advocate (505) Kansas Dec 11, 2006

About half the vacation days I use are brew days.

31. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (545) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

I haven't ever taken a day off to brew, but I do make use of the various 3 day weekends and other holidays I have off. I have a 2 month old at home (and a 2 year old) and I have brewed 5 5 gallon batches since he was born - 4 of the 5 were 10 gallon split batches, the other I taught my wife to brew the Bavarian Hefe she loves (while taking care of both kids). One piece of advice I would give for the kid is, 2 weeks out doesn't mean you have 2 weeks, and unless you keg, you're going to be trying to clean bottles and make bottles, change diapers and bottle beer all at the same time...

32. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

I quit my job to brew.;)