1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Everyday Bourbon Barrel Stout?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Coletrain, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Coletrain

Coletrain Disciple (70) Wisconsin May 1, 2012

I'd like to get a quality BBS to have regularly, without having to track it down.

Am I missing something obvious? (probable)

2. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

No such beer exists.

3. Older Viscosity isn't hard to find... and I'm sure I won't be the only person to say it, but, Dragon's Milk?

4. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (575) California Dec 12, 2009

Mmmmmhhhh, that's a hard one.

I think it depends on your region. You are lucky since Michigan has a shitload of that type of beer but if you don't want to track them down then perhaps you can just serve yourself a nice quality Imperial Stout and add a shot of decent Bourbon to it. This might do the trick!

4balance and Coletrain like this.
  5. twizzard

twizzard Advocate (685) New York May 11, 2013

+1 on the Dragons Milk....And Weyerbacher Heresy.

6. bcbs

ant880 likes this.
  7. Dragon's Milk is a solid call. I've never had any trouble tracking down Black Xantus (I think it's BA).

8. not knocking, just curious... Dragon's Milk > Heresy?

I may have to do a side by side tonight...

9. sit on that stuff for a year... it only gets better.

10. I have to assume this is a little harder to come by than the OP was looking for, but I agree... if I had to pick a BBS to have around all the time... yes, it would be BCS.

11. I liked Dragon's Milk better than Heresy myself. I'd agree it's probably the best call for an "every day bourbon barrel stout" since it comes in 4-packs, is easily available, and the price isn't too much.

mjshearer1 and GimmeGumballHead like this.
  12. CW puts out 3 of them in Jan/Feb in WI(your state) buy cases of each

13. twizzard

twizzard Advocate (685) New York May 11, 2013

Love them both.

craigo19 and GimmeGumballHead like this.
  14. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Savant (390) California Mar 20, 2011

Ya +1 on Older Vis. It's definitely year-round in Cali.
    It's more of an old ale rather than a stout IMO though.

15. I've got a couple in the fridge from 12 and a couple 13s waiting for next year. My drinking buddies have a ton of them too. A very a very good stout and very available.

GimmeGumballHead likes this.

16. I just do what they tells me, and they tells me itsa stout.

ChanceK and LaneMeyer like this.

17. but dont buy any of the BA scotch ale when that comes out... thats mine. Im afraid Backwoods might move to the backseat if that stuff is more readily available.

18. Coletrain

Coletrain Disciple (70) Wisconsin May 1, 2012

Correct, I have never seen a case of bcbs at retail. I'm willing to travel or pay internet surcharge for bulk. I just wanted something that I can have regularly. Right now every bottle of bcbs/epic/darklord etc is a big event (as it should be).

19. davesway10

davesway10 Advocate (510) Iowa Jan 23, 2010

You've got a good one right there in Wisconsin that sees fairly decent distribution in your state. But, for the most part, all of the quality BBS's require some effort to obtain and most if not all are fairly limited seasonal's. Good luck though.

20. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Savant (390) California Mar 20, 2011

Ya true dat. It's really unlike any stout I've ever had though.

[​IMG]

21. johndoe8

johndoe8 Savant (275) California Jun 9, 2010

Deliverance

AmgineDanus, swolepeer and Givemebeer like this.
  22. Dragons Milk here. Tastes better than the half dozen or so new bourbon barrel aged beers I've had this year (which is a lot of new BBA beers for me, indicating that the market is expanding), and it's always available for around 15 dollars a 4-pack.

craigo19 likes this.
  23. isnt the point of these beers to be special occasion beers? "every day bourbon barrel aged stout" seems somewhat oxymoronic to me.

jds16, kristougher, VTMoondog and 7 others like this.
  24. Honestly the point is that they taste good. The special occasion part comes from the difficulty of producing one regularly.

Netdigger2 likes this.
  25. draheim

No. The point of these beers is to drink them.

jjf3792, xclone25x, Techichi and 18 others like this.
  26. Uinta Labrynth. Easy to find year round in these parts and pretty underrated. I haven't tried it yet, but I've also been seeing Anderson Valley's Bourbon Barrel Stout everywhere, and its a cheaper more sessionable option.

27. lots of breweries, even european breweries that make one beer 364 days/year do special seasonal beers that they could make year round if they wanted to. i think a lot of breweries are aware of the fact that if you make a beer all the time, it starts to lose value. now that BCBS is more readily available, it's sitting on shelves near me. however, something that was only made once a year (or once ever) in small quantities has more importance. it's now something you'd want to save for a celebration or share with a lot of friends.

right. on special occasions.

to the OP: if you must have bourbony, stouty goodness all the time because you absolutely love that style, taking a dash of bourbon to your favorite stout will get you most of the way there. you wont get any oak flavor for obvious reasons but the result is usually pretty tasty. if you must have BBA stouts because your palette doesn't care for anything else, try giving it a rest and learning to appreciate lighter styles. it'll make the bigger ones more enjoyable in the long run.

YogiBeer likes this.
  28. hopswap1

hopswap1 Savant (435) Illinois Apr 27, 2012

+1 on Uinta Labrynth. Sits on shelves anywhere from grocery stores to crappy liquor stores and is a great BA stout

29. draheim

Why? Who says? I've opened a Parabola on my birthday and on a Tuesday, and I swear to God it tasted exactly the same.

I say drink whatever beer you want, whenever you want, for whatever reason you want. This whole idea that certain beers should be kept for special occasions is, as the kids say, whack.

30. you got me there. i just think it's more fun.

jzeilinger likes this.
  31. draheim

Try doing it my way. You might find out that you're wrong. ;)

32. I don't consider them special occasion beers because in all honesty I'm not the biggest fan of the style. I love a good Bourbon beer but it is no longer a must buy when I see one. Plus, the argument about limiting certain styles to certain seasons for arbitrary reasons is dying a quick death. Drink what you want when you want to, if it's there when you don't want to drink it than don't drink it. I've turned down several barrel aged stouts this year for hefewiezens or APAs, or even regular stouts. I'm honestly not that into bourbon barrel aged flavors anymore.

33. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (545) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Repeating something does not make it true

Right, which is why they don't make their flagship beers (their most valuable beers) year-round. Oh..wait...

34. Lose value to who? That is absurd. So is the idea of limiting a brewing process that has no reliance on seasons to certain seasons.

bozodogbreath likes this.
  35. DOMINION has a great oak barrel stout

Cubatobaco and jmgrub like this.
  36. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Savant (490) Vermont Apr 6, 2013

37. draheim

It's a known fact (in my brain anyway) that a beer with a limited release footprint, small time window, and low bottle count sells faster and at a higher price per ounce than a widely distributed, year-round beer that tastes exactly the same or even better. See: Dark Lord

kemoarps and cavedave like this.
  38. i have. personally, i found it exhausting but whatever floats your broat...

39. jlenik

jlenik Savant (445) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

How long is too long for Black Xantus?

40. I can't speak from experience, but i reckon you'd be safe for at least 2 or 3 years...