1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Everyday Bourbon Barrel Stout?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Coletrain, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Older Viscosity is available pretty much year round online. Otherwise Dragon's Milk obviously.
    deadonhisfeet and Coletrain like this.
  2. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Hoppin Frog Boris is always on the shelf, so is Nebraska.
    deadonhisfeet likes this.
  3. TheGoof

TheGoof Savant (285) Michigan Apr 10, 2013

4. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

This.

I opened a Rare when I found out my mailman's wife cut the grocery bills in half by switching to Walmart.
    SamiDavis, amano_h, caguiar and 13 others like this.
  5. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I suppose if you lived in Chicago you could say BCBS, but I don't, and at $25 bucks a 4 pk it hardly qualifies as an everyday brew. Unless you have a lot of money to spend on BA brews you can drink everyday, I would suppose the real answer is there isn't one. Reality is that only Hoppin Frog is fairly well distributed, no idea on Nebraska , but it's always on the shelf here, but both are expensive IMO eliminating them from everyday status.
    deadonhisfeet and ediaz like this.
  6. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Just drop an acorn in there. Voila! Oak!
    brewsader likes this.
  7. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

Brought to you by the Great Steakout.
  8. Coletrain

Coletrain Disciple (70) Wisconsin May 1, 2012

I do like a lot of styles. The question is really around whether or not there is some widely available BA Stout that I hadn't stumbled upon. I think the general response seems to be "not really," but I appreciate everyone taking the time to chime in. :)
  9. Now you're just trying to insult us!
  10. TheGoof

Make me an offer (especially if you have a bottle of Huna or Mexican Cake). :)
  11. KingBiscuit

KingBiscuit Savant (440) Illinois May 30, 2005

Central Waters Peruvian Morning (from WI no less) - outstanding. Not quite BCBS but very tasty. Best yet it's on the shelf and not behind it, grabbed another 4 pack just today.
  12. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I'd say that's an excellent reason to open a Rare.
    The only beer you should need a reason to drink is bad beer.
  13. I just had BB Dragon's Milk and it's a great beer. I personally like the sweet subtleness of the brew. Would love to have more of it.
    craigo19 and JohnnieNepal like this.
  14. That it is. And nectar is also a subsidiary of sorts of FW. Black Xantus is a delicious barrel aged stout that literally sits on shelves
    Joenajera likes this.

15. so wait, what happens if i hit select a bunch of times while youre on my screen?
    Brehnert and TheGoof like this.
  16. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (915) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Oso brewing in Plover WI is starting to experiment with barrel aging. I didn't get any of the BA Night Train, but I guess a good portion of it was infected anyway.
  17. i may have taken the "everyday" part a bit too literally then...
  18. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (810) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I think every bottle remaining at this point is unmistakably infected. It started out delicious though. So unless you would have drank it fresh, you didn't miss out.

My entry would be thus: if I am wealthy, it would be BCBS because I would just buy cases of it each year. Realistically, none because I can't drink imperial stouts every day.
  19. Rish907

Rish907 Aficionado (225) California Jun 14, 2013

Eclipse, Parabola, Black Butte, or Abyss..
  20. TheGoof

A big burly guy rubs your shoulders and gives you more juice?
    alex_hart likes this.
  21. mtalley999

mtalley999 Savant (405) Maryland Oct 6, 2011

Definitely Heresy. As a BA on here (I just wish I could remember who) said, it's poor man's BCBS.
  22. douginromeo

douginromeo Savant (315) Michigan Apr 1, 2013

They just started shipping Brau Bros Rye Wyne to MI - great $12 bomber that drinks well.
  23. Depending on where you are, I think these are all great options (which I been able to get ahold of pretty easily):

Central waters bourbon barrel stout and Peruvian morning
    Clown shoes luchador en fuego
    Anderson valley bourbon stout
    Dragons milk
  24. ChanceK

ChanceK Initiate (0) Texas Feb 13, 2012

Am I seeing this right??? A boilermaker is being suggested as a BBA Stout sub.
    gyberic likes this.
  25. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Don't remember if this was ever confirmed, but is BCBS going to be year round at some point?
  26. Schlafly ba imperial stout is readily available year round and is pretty good
  27. 1) you dont use a whole shot, just enough for flavor
    2) it's not a sub, just something to tide over the OP between releases.
  28. Oddly enough Innis & Gunn, who barrel age everything, havent made an Imperial BBS.
  29. FW sold Nectar... but yes, BX is an incredible beer.

Anderson Valley's Bourbon Barrel Stout is as close to a sessionable BBA stout as you'll ever find. It's not bourbon forward at all - only sat in Wild Turkey barrels for three months - but there's big chocolate, coffee, some oak, some vanilla, some bourbon, slight coconut. Really a delicious and flavorful beer that's available everywhere near me and only $6 or so.

30. AH-AH-AH-AH-AHEM

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/392/18198/?ba=ThisWangsChung

I'm not just saying...I'm just saying. ;)
  31. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

32. mfielden

mfielden Zealot (75) California Sep 18, 2008

I've wrestled with thIs myself and started to spike North Coast Old Rasputin, a readily available inexpensive but great stout, with a table spoon of bourbon, whatever's in my bar. You don't get the oak though but it's a nice addition surprisingly. Purists will cry foul but whatever, I like bourbon and stouts.
  33. JimGraz

JimGraz Zealot (85) New Jersey Aug 29, 2012

While I agree with the deliciousness of most of these, I think a bunch really aren't "everyday" for a couple reasons. Buying an expensive beer in a large-frmat bottle and drinking it every day seems like it would have a detrimental impact both on my wallet and on my ability to function. So, while Parabola and Labyrinth are great, Idon't think I woudl classify them as "everyday" beers. Now, to each there own. Maybe there are people out there with unlimited funds and ridiculous tolerances. If so, enjoy your everyday Parabola along with my jealousy.

I think Dragon's Milk by New Holand probably qualifies the best (though readoing this thread, I am hardly original in saying that). It is reasonably priced and comes in 12 oz. size (4-packs, I believe). Not sure other BBA Stouts fall into that category.
  34. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

BCBS is a shelf turd around here. Seriously. Yeah, we were blessed this time around.
    VTMoondog and ant880 like this.
  35. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Per ounce BORIS is more expensive than BCBS.
    keithmurray likes this.
  36. mtalley999

mtalley999 Savant (405) Maryland Oct 6, 2011

37. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I do not believe despite the name that this stout involves any time in bourbon or oak barrels.
    ant880 likes this.

38. Agreed, plus it's average at best.

Best readily available is Older Vis......but you have to live with that absurd price tag. It's a great beer, but an expensive beer.
  39. ant880

ant880 Advocate (630) New York Nov 7, 2010

No, he was right. Obviously depends on location, but the amount of BCBS shipped, and still available, in NY this year is equal in gallons to half of the Hudson River.
    cavedave likes this.