Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine and get 12 issues / year of fresh beer content delivered to your door each month.

Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Everyday Bourbon Barrel Stout?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Coletrain, Jul 15, 2013.

1. stephenjmoore

stephenjmoore Advocate (660) Maryland Feb 17, 2011 Verified Subscriber

You are correct. My buddy and I went on their brewery tour a couple of years ago and he asked to see the barrels for Oak Barrel Stout. The head brewer looked at him like he had three heads and said they just throw in some oak chips.

Hanzo likes this.
  2. velcrogrip

velcrogrip Advocate (585) Florida Mar 2, 2013 Verified

Not sure how rich people are to think Older Viscosity is an every day ba stout... ~$19 for what, 16 oz? Sure you might get it easily, but at the price...

I like Heresy, athough its Whiskey barrel, not Bourbon. $12 for 4 pk 12 oz bottles. Much better every day value.

twizzard and mtalley999 like this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (965) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

1%ers of the 6%ers man......

twizzard and velcrogrip like this.
  4. I've tried a lot of these, hoping to find one that is delicious, reasonably priced, and readily available.

Dragon's Milk is the only one that comes close, but it's too sweet for me. Pretty much any one that fits the latter 2 criteria doesn't really fit the first.

5. I can has?

6. Dupage25

Dupage25 Savant (375) Antarctica Jul 4, 2013

Yes, Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout. Averages out to about half of the benchmark for the style ($22-$25 for Goose Island BCBS, about $12-$13 for Central Waters); tastes better fresh; tastes better at one year; and has a light enough body that you can do it everyday if you so choose. Hell, it's one of only two bourbon barreled-stouts I've had that I would consider having or even be able to have multiples of in one night, alcohol be damned.

The other is Peruvian Morning, also from Central Waters of course. Assuming you can regularly find bottles that aren't screwed up anyway....

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  7. Weyerbacher Heresy

twizzard likes this.
  8. striker2160

striker2160 Advocate (550) Minnesota May 5, 2013 Verified

Dragons Milk is available year around. One of the liquor stores I frequent sells bombers for 6.59. I always stock up when Central Waters releases there BB beer usually 2 cases BBS , and 1 BBBW and if Peruvian Morning is not infected a couple of 4 pks.

9. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (695) Florida Jul 15, 2011 Verified

I think all of Weyerbacher's barrel aged beers say "whiskey barrels," but if you go to their website they say that they use oak casks that previously held Kentucky bourbon.

And yes, I think that Heresy is the only bourbon barrel aged stout that is decent and cheap enough for "everyday" consumption, at least out of all the beers sold here.

10. I like the Old(er) Viscosity and Dragon's Milk suggestions.

I will also second the suggestion of Hoppin' Frog's Barrel-Aged BORIS. It is quite tasty and pretty easily found in the midwest any time of year.

11. Dupage25

Insanity certainly has that typical burnt sugar profile characteristic of bourbon.

12. Domingo

Domingo Poobah (1,085) Colorado Apr 23, 2005 Verified Subscriber

Another Dragon's Milk vote. My wife and I kept going back to that one when we were in Chicago last month. It's cheap, good, and common.

GimmeGumballHead likes this.
  13. GeorgiaBeerGuy

GeorgiaBeerGuy Poobah (1,020) Georgia May 31, 2013 Verified

Boris, or BBA Boris? OP was asking about BBA, I believe. I can find this at one store regularly, but not all locations. I can also usually find something BBA by Clown Shoes (Porcine Unidragon), and also the Anderson Valley Wild Turkey has been a "cooler turd" in my shop the entire year. I have yet to try this last one....

14. I believe if you're a millionaire every bourbon barrel aged stout becomes an everyday one.

But seriously availability and price IMO are the 2 biggest factors that would make a barrel aged stout and every day beer. The only one available here is Weyerbacher Heresy which tastes nothing like Bourbon County as someone else said.

15. Dupage25

BA Boris should be easy to find. All of the BA Hoppin' Frog stuff that makes it to distribution sits on shelves for awhile in the Great Lakes/Midwest region. Last summer's batch of Naked Evil was still around Illinois in March.

They are also exclusively sold in 22oz bottles for upwards of $18, so I seriously doubt the OP would consider any of them an every day beer.

16. Insanity is closer in taste profile to BCBS and it's not a stout. But I'll drink both Insanity and Heresy on a budget.:p

See what I mean?

17. t420o

t420o Advocate (605) California Jul 16, 2009

I like the way you think... Or drink, I guess. No need to save a beer for a special occasion, just enjoy it.

VictorWisc likes this.
  18. Highbrow

Highbrow Advocate (645) California Jan 7, 2011 Verified

you must be rich?

19. Buff0910

Buff0910 Savant (390) Alabama Jan 20, 2013

For the money, it has to be Heresy, $9 in GA in 4packs. I saw older viscosity mentioned several times, but at $14 and up, no way is that an "everyday" bourbon stout for me.

ThisWangsChung likes this.
  20. Fordham Diskey Wick (Dover, De). Case closed.

21. swolepeer

swolepeer Savant (295) California May 23, 2013

No way I'm paying 15 bucks for 12 ounces of Older Viscosity. Rather spend 12 for an Uncle Jacob's Stout.

VictorWisc likes this.
  22. t_carterb

t_carterb Savant (470) Georgia Jan 5, 2012 Verified

i love labyrinth, and it seems i can always find it. just wish it was a few bucks cheaper.

kawilliams81 likes this.
  23. redblacks75

redblacks75 Savant (465) Iowa Oct 29, 2010 Verified

I'm just thinking a decent everyday bourbon would be the way to go.

SamiDavis and VictorWisc like this.
  24. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Advocate (640) Illinois Feb 27, 2009 Verified

DM is oak aged, heresy is bourbon aged, so I would say you have it backwards.

25. kawilliams81

Around Chicago/Illinois bcbs and CW bbs would be the 2 most accessible and cost effective.

26. last I checked, Heaven Hill Bourbon, is bourbon.... from the product description: "Strong Stout aged in second use Heaven Hill bourbon barrels."

27. can you tell me where either of these are still available?

28. Dupage25

They aren't readily available any more. CW was for about six weeks at the end of last year/start of this year, BCBS was for probably two separate one to two week periods from September through November, I know a few stores got two or three shipments. It also isn't exactly cost-effective, though far from the costliest.

I know one store out near Kane County (West Chicago area) that might still have some BCBS but that's only because they were charging $50 per four-pack. Message me if you really want to pay that much, but I think you're better off waiting until the next release to pay half that.

29. JRBecks

JRBecks Savant (425) Illinois Apr 3, 2012

Just find a year round stout in your area and add a shot Bourbon to it, always works for me..... plus its stronger ;)

30. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (910) Florida Feb 1, 2012 Verified

You get goose island in Wisconsin. Just buy a shit ton of bcbs. Best ba stout that is easy to find ever!

31. kawilliams81

Cw BBS is still around I believe if you check beer menus, and bcbs is year round being you can buy cases when it comes out.

32. kawilliams81

It says oak aged. If it is heaven hill barrels its dumb not to say barrel aged or aged in bourbon barrels.

33. Homebrew year round

craigo19 likes this.
  34. Barrel aged? Never mind the price of the barrels... storage/tapping might be a bit of a problem... But I love the idea of it...

35. I was thinking the spirals soaked in bourbon...you could drop one right in the top of a corny I would think...going to have to try this myself now

36. fishmich

fishmich Advocate (570) Michigan Apr 11, 2013 Verified

it says bourbon barrel stout on the label.

GimmeGumballHead likes this.
  37. to be fair, it used to say oak... but yeah, the description on this site specifically says heaven hill barrels, and the product description on other sites mention notes of bourbon...

I think Dragons Milk is probably the beer the OP was after... assuming that when he says available year round, he means that he could go buy some on the shelf right now... and not blow his whole wad.

38. Casey3236

Casey3236 Advocate (600) Pennsylvania Sep 14, 2012 Verified

Can you recommend a good year for an everyday Dom Perignon?

39. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (565) Michigan Dec 16, 2011 Verified

[​IMG]

Dragon's Milk: Bourbon Barrel Stout. Though, as previously mentioned, it did only use to say aged in oak barrels until I think just this past year.

40. kawilliams81

Just did a image search and found one that says aged in Bourbon barrels, most you see even on its beer profile says oak barrels. Is this a new label, and did they just start aging in bourbon barrels the last year or so?