1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Everything Adelbert's

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by r0nburgundy69, Mar 25, 2013.

1. yeah i know everyone hates the "everything" threads but i really just want someone with 20 reviews to add the barrel aged naked nun so i can review it, thanks in advance

2. Had the barrel aged naked nun Friday night and thoroughly enjoyed it! Love everything that Adelberts does.

blatherbeard likes this.
  3. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Wish i had the BA nn, then id review it for you.

4. MattSweatshirt

MattSweatshirt Advocate (680) Texas Jun 29, 2011

With their ho hum reviews I have yet to actually try anything they have done even though I love Belgian styles. Is the BA Naked Nun bottled? I like a witbier every now and then.

mrkmrk likes this.
  5. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (360) Texas May 17, 2012

Yep.

[​IMG]

I've seen this and I'm curious about it. Was waiting to read some reviews before I bought a bottle.

6. mattchow

mattchow Savant (380) Texas Jun 24, 2012

bought a bottle at D&Q, it's in the fridge now.

7. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (550) Texas Apr 26, 2007

If you like Belgian styles, then Adelbert's is definitely worth checking out. They're severely underrated, imo. I've been pretty impressed with everything I've had from them, especially Naked Nun.

blatherbeard likes this.
  8. BgThang

BgThang Savant (445) Texas Dec 23, 2007

their regular naked nun is a very good beer. have yet to try the BA version

Riccymon and Krumb like this.
  9. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Triple B was the first one i tried, then Naked Nun, and Flyin Monk.

All were decent imo. Ive had other since, and only dissapointed once, but not by flavor, by overcarb. Ive never had it happen again. (and they offered a replacement bottle and a tour, but i never got over there, and really, never cared about that since they were just awesome on the response to it)

10. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

They had two batch that were overcarbed, one of Scratchin' Hippo, and one of Rambler. They fully admitted the issue with those batches and offered replacements.

The batches bottles after those were just fine, and if you grab anything with the new branding, you won't find any issues.

I definitely enjoyed both of the Monk beers.

blatherbeard likes this.
  11. the red wine naked nun was a little too prickly for me, so I left the last quarter of the bottle in the fridge over night and the next day was still plenty carbed to be enjoyable

12. Not a fan of any of their beers. Probably some of the worst Belgian style beers I've ever had.

13. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (550) Texas Apr 26, 2007

I'm a little curious about Rambler. Reviews describe it as sweet and estery (reasons why I typically avoid Belgian pales), but I tried it recently on tap and it had a very distinct brett character that I actually found very enjoyable. It reminded me of Orval. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering if they reformulated it or if this was an accidental (but glorious) infection.

14. BK1017

BK1017 Aficionado (195) Texas Nov 9, 2009

Wow. Care to elaborate?

15. nsheehan

nsheehan Savant (485) Texas Jul 3, 2011

I second the call for elaboration.
    Nothing of Adelbert's has been exceptional, but nothing has been very bad. The price is a little much, but for a smaller brewer and their method, it has to be.

16. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

What kind of barrel was used for aging the NN?

17. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Everything that's not the best is the worst.

Ford and FUNKPhD like this.
  18. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I heard it was made of oak.

19. MattCinatl

MattCinatl Aficionado (145) Texas Aug 30, 2009

We bought a truckload of red wine barrels from a broker in the Pacific Northwest. Because it was a bulk buy, they range from Merlot to Cabernet Sauvignon, but Lutter was correct, they are all indeed made of oak.

rainerschuhsler likes this.
  20. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Aw, you ruined my snark with useful information! LOL.

Hey, are you the Adelbert's guy I met that this month's Austin BA tasting?

21. videofrog

videofrog Savant (470) Texas Nov 13, 2010

This^^^. I've had full pours of Naked Nun and Tripel B along with servings of others at Central Market. I liked the Flyin' Monks and need to pick up a bottle to give it a fair shake.

22. Ford

Ford Savant (480) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Just recently had one of those little bottles of Naked Nun... I really enjoyed it. Will buy again.

23. bccocx

bccocx Champion (775) Texas Jan 13, 2007

Beer Diaries #9 - Adelberts!

mrkmrk likes this.
  24. nsheehan

nsheehan Savant (485) Texas Jul 3, 2011

In case people are curious, I emailed Adelbert's for more info on how their Friday tours work:

"The tasting room is open from 5-8 pm on Fridays. When you arrive you have the option between a $5 or $10 glass which includes the tour, tastings and you can keep the glass. Each person is allowed 6 half pours or three full pours. You can also do free samples in the small tasting glass but cannot keep the glass. Tours are given approximately every 45 min (about 3 a night depending on the crowd). We will also be expanding into Saturday tasting room/tours in the coming months."