Everything Deep Ellum

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Ford, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Like everything on this site? :rolleyes:

2. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (430) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Honestly it just appears like you are going out of your way just to dog them right now. If you have nothing productive to say please leave the thread. I understand plenty of people around Dallas have their own reasons to dislike their beer or people that work for them and this isn't the place to discuss those things.

I guess what I'm saying is try to keep it productive, even if you don't care for their beer.

3. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (435) Texas Nov 21, 2008

The first release of Deep Ellum IPA was excellant. However, I believe that they were unable to secure adequate Amarillo, so they changed it. I have not cared for the new hops schedule quite as much. The brightness of Amarillo just works so well with dank fruity hops like Citra and Summit - hard to replace. Also, the first bottling of the IPA had problems. There were also some phenolics in the Rye Pils at whole foods and then again in Alt. The altbier actually came out of the keg looking as cloudy as a hefe, and it tasted like a "belgo" hybrid. On the other hand, Festivus, the black IPA, was excellant this year - twice as good as the previous release which had basically been an overhopped Stout (good though).

I didn't know that they were doing Dream Crusher again this year. That's great. It's Interesting, at one of the tours, I was lucky enough to taste Dream Crusher out of the tank prior to its second dry hop addition. It was exquisite at that point. Strangely, once released, it was really more like a young barleywine to me - very different from the sample that I had earlier. I am actually cellaring one of the bottles, probably for a couple years. Those were filled by hand, I believe, I hope it will age well.

air likes this.
  4. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Reverse-homerism is a thing too. Familiarity breeding contempt, eh?

5. Not going out of my way, just staying on the topic of the thread: "Everything DEBC". I guess I define "everything" differently than you do. It's not like people don't critique the brewery/beers in the other "Everything..." threads here.

I didn't realize BA was only for discussing positive reviews of beers/breweries.

air likes this.
  6. I like other local breweries a lot.

7. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

I am doing the same thing. If they bottle any this year I hope to grab one and open them both next year around this time.

8. H0rnedFr0gs

I clearly stated that all I wanted was for you to be productive. You are actively trolling and it looks like pretty much everyone else agrees with that assessment.

There is only one beer deserving of "torture to my mouth" and it comes in a pepto colored bottle.

Feel free to disagree all you want, again and in bold letters. STAY PRODUCTIVE. You can read thru my various posts and know for certain I express my displeasure with brewers and distributors ad nausium so please quit with the whining about not being able to express a different opinion..in my experience plenty of great conversation can come from disagreements.

rainerschuhsler likes this.
  9. You're still just trying to define the thread based on, again and in bold letters YOUR OWN DEFINITION. Not all internet discussions are going to follow your preferences.

I said I didn't understand why DEBC gets the praise it does for its beers. People chose to engage the subject. I discussed it back. Other people raised points about issues with the brewery. If I had attempted to troll I would have been a lot more explicit about what I didn't like in a much more saucy manner.

10. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (525) Texas Nov 27, 2011

I guess I'd like you to define what you mean by "productive" - do you mean to say positive? Criticism can and is productive as well. Why can't he have a counter-opinion? And if this isnt the place to discuss those things, where is? We don't have to be fanboys and just accept everything these brewers produce without criticism. If he doesnt like their beers, it doesnt hurt anyone else for him to say so.

There has been plenty of slamming of S.Austin Brewing, among others, in this forum, so I dont see how this is any different. (just my .02c)

air and reverseapachemaster like this.
  11. H0rnedFr0gs

I don't know how to express my opinion in more concise language than I already have. With that I'm unwatching this thread until people lighten up, drink a beer (in this case a DEBC IPA ;))

If he doesn't like DEBC cool. Serious I don't care one iota either way because that fool is simply trolling and anyone with half a perspective can see that. Hopefully a Bro can come clean up this thread because its a half page of dribble with everyone showing their metaphorical D's and mine is its own white whale.

12. Ford

Ford Savant (490) Texas Sep 8, 2012

I started the thread.. and of course I have no problem if someone doesn't like their beer... it's fine you don't like it... and good you stated that opinion, but there probably isn't any more to say until you try another.. which most likely isn't going to happen.. understandable.

I clearly can't be a homer.. because I'm from Houston... it's been years since I've been anywhere near the Deep Ellum area of Dallas...

I've had two of their beers now... and I liked both..not love.. but I'll certainly drink again and try some of their other offerings.... . guess there is something wrong with me maybe.. :D

13. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

One of us! One of us! One of us!

TapThat likes this.
  14. I'm from Regina, Saskatchewan, just spent 3 days in Denver on my way down to Dallas, and just attended the DEBC brewery tour this evening. The IPA is fantastic, it stands up to the best I have tasted. The other DE beers I tried tonight were all interesting and well made.

Sometimes when I read these forums, I'm embarassed to say I'm a beer geek...

15. TapThat

TapThat Aficionado (180) Oregon Nov 8, 2012

Gooble-gobble! Gooble-gobble!

Anyone tried the Cherry Chocolate Double Brown? Curious to hear how it turned out.

16. I'm not a huge fan of cherry stouts in general, but this had an excellent nose, and was solid all around once it warmed up and swirled some of the carbonation out.

17. mattisloco

I was told there is much more cherry and chocolate in this years vs last years.

Ford likes this.
  18. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (495) Texas Oct 15, 2011

I heard they recently decided to add more hops!

DanzBorin and jaymesbawned like this.
  19. mattisloco

Got any Kyle's Killer Lemonade or a bottle of Goldslick?

DanzBorin likes this.
  20. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Awesome! Now I want to watch Superbad!

21. mattisloco

Someone called me "Mr Off Topic in the Southwest Forum" I'm just livin' up to my name.

jl28r1 likes this.
  22. DanzBorin

Fistbump!

Deep Ellum makes beer - phwew, back on topic.

23. lonestarbev

lonestarbev Aficionado (230) Texas Oct 18, 2006

Deep Ellum is not bottling the Cherry Chocolate or the Dreamcrusher this year.
    They will do so in the future, but from what i was told, there will be not bottles this time around. : (

mattisloco likes this.
  24. UtisTheLaw

UtisTheLaw Savant (405) Texas Jul 26, 2012

I believe they only did 500 bombers of Dreamcrusher last year. It was more of an experiement than anything. My guess is that it will be like with the CCBS, and your best bet will be to get a growler fill somehwere.

lonestarbev likes this.
  25. Listen to this man. He has Ace Frehley as his avatar. He is obviously an authority on all things kick ass.

Ford and mattisloco like this.
  26. UtisTheLaw

mattisloco likes this.
  27. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Savant (400) Texas Aug 16, 2012

Had Cherry Chocolate last night and I didnt get any cherries or choclolate - all I got was coffee, in your face coffee. Lips of Faith was much better IMHO.

28. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Not to pile on, though I think Karback and Deep Ellum have been my favorite Texas breweries over the last year or so. Deep Ellum Rye Pilz is amazing as is Farmhouse Wit. Their many stouts, and Wealth & Taste (being one of my favorites last year from any brewery in the country). I actually really like their Blond as well. They have had a few duds (like any brewery), but overall I think they are excellent.

29. I expected people to disagree. I haven't had any of the stouts but I did have each of the others you listed and didn't like them. I wanted to like them, I tried several, they aren't for me.

I'm glad other people enjoy local beers even if I don't like those particular beers.

cfh64 and champ103 like this.
  30. GregSVT

GregSVT Savant (475) Texas Jul 1, 2009

Deep Ellum has issues. For anyone blindly defending them you obviously haven't bought many of their bottled/canned product recently. I bought a lot of their bottled IPA, which I love, over the course of a few weeks after it was released and it tasted great for a while. After that it had major carb issues and tasted nothing like it was supposed to. I opened one up about 3 weeks ago and it gushed out of the bottle and when I drain poured it the beer was all foam. I had to drain pour another 4 bottles from the same sixpack that had the same issue. The beer I could drink tasted earthy and nothing like it should. I sent them a facebook message detailing my findings but they never responded.

Fast forward to this week and I bought their canned IPA hoping they had fixed the issues. This was different. It tasted nothing like the previous IPA. It was extremely bitter and not as fruity and balanced as previous iterations. It tasted like a completely different beer. I just opened another one to make sure and it's the same...super bitter and an off smell I can't place. Almost soapy. They seem to have not only bottling/canning issues but also recipe issues.

I've never had a problem with their beer on draft so I may just stick to that while they work out their QC issues. Crazy how Lakewood can put out quality bottled product but these guys have issues and they've been around just as long. I feel horrible for including the bottled IPA as extras in some trades earlier this year before I learned of the issues. I was going to put some of the cans into a package for next week but I can't do it in light of what I'm tasting from this can.

For the record I have liked most of what they put out on draft. Wealth and Taste is greatness and I have bought a lot of their IPA. I'd like to see one of their reps speak to these problems...we'll see if Tait or someone else responds.

jsboots21 and air like this.
  31. Ford

I have a growler.. and I get cherry more in the smell...and some chocolate in the taste... I think it's good. Would have again.

32. Ford

Hmm.. being in Houston I have only had their beers on draft.. and all have been fine... it isn't that unusual to see bottling problems though in the early years of breweries.. it is another ball game.

33. DanzBorin

Considering you have a growler, I'd say you'd have it again.

Ford likes this.
  34. Ford

ha...... that is a good point... I guess I should have said.. would fill again...

35. mattisloco

That's not good news at all. I got a 6pk of cans from Specs and another from Broadway. Both were fruity excellence, it sucks yours weren't.

36. ISO: Kyles Killer Lemonade (KKL) FT: rare whalez

mattisloco likes this.
  37. UtisTheLaw

Had Dreamcrusher last night, and it was pretty damn good. If you get a chance to try it this year, it will only be around for a short period.

They did also have a slim of their Santa Quad at Common Table, apparently the only keg to leave the brewery. For 12% it was surprisingly smooth. Primary and secondary fermented in Rye barrels, and also barrel aged.

38. jsboots21

jsboots21 Savant (280) Tennessee Jan 19, 2009

Anyone looking to let a beer live up to its name can check out the Libertine Bar's Facebook and has a chance to vote to try "Vintage Dreamcrusher." I'm astounded there are votes for a year-old IPA, especially considering it's going up against the freaking king of TX beers, Real Ale Mysterium Verum Barrel Aged XV Anniversary Stout.

Where have all the beer geeks gone?

puddledynamics and air like this.
  39. air

air Savant (360) Texas Mar 28, 2007

That's a no-brainer right there. I'm baffled at how anyone would be interested in trying a year-old IPA.

My experience with DEBC mirrors everything GregSVT and reverseapachemaster said. I tend to only try their beer on draft and frankly, even then the IPA is still all over the place. I admit Darkest Hour was enjoyable, but nothing personal, there's better beer out on the market.

fragilehearted likes this.
  40. mattisloco

This IIPA is thought to turn into something like a barleywine. If you've never taken a high alcohol IIPA and aged it I highly recommend. I have a bottle of Dream Crusher from last year I hope has turned into something beautiful, I plan on opening it around my birthday in a couple of weeks.

JJFoodie and WickedSluggy like this.