1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Everything Deep Ellum

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Ford, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Thanks for the response.

Now send it all the Austin in the future. Houston obviously can't be trusted.

BK1017 and bentwookie like this.
  2. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Savant (335) Texas Sep 10, 2012

I just stopped in to say "Fugazi, Fuck Yes!"

Also, can Houston get Wealth and Taste in cans, please?

puddledynamics likes this.
  3. Ford

Ford Advocate (510) Texas Sep 8, 2012

I liked what I have had here in Houston.. keep sending it down!

4. drewseslu

drewseslu Aficionado (180) Texas Jan 1, 2005

Hello beer people,
    Drew from DEBC checking in here. There is a lot of territory to cover, but I'll try to keep it brief.
    From a practical standpoint we have to look as this as growing pains, and it sure is painful.
    The likelihood of the unfiltered/unpasteurized/unrefridgerated triple whammy coming into play here would ordinarily be the first thing I would point to. In this instance, however, there is a key factor missing: time. Even under ideally spoiling conditions it takes time for beer (particularly at 70 IBUs and 7%abv, less so at 5.2% and 23 IBUs).
    While looking over the packaging records I see that the Dallas Blonde was canned the day before it left for Houston, and the brewing records look good.
    The IPA would have been less than a week in the can by the time it made it to Houston. The brewing records here also look just as to be expected, but there's a catch.
    IPA has been through many iterations since its release a little over a year ago. The demand for IPA far outstripped the supply for some hop varieties. When it looked like we had secured reasonable substitutions demand again surged and we ran out again. Lather, rinse, repeat.
    Now, let me back up a bit here. While we can certainly be blamed for not planning ahead well enough, the issues go much deeper than that. Deep into the root stocks, actually. There is simply not enough of the newer, trendy hops that are so popular these days in the ground (poor crops and proprietarily held varieties) that were originally intended to be the backbone of our IPA (Citra, Amarillo and even Simcoe, Centennial, Chinook, etc) planted or harvested to meet demand, even with future contracting. In fact in the last few years Citra, Amarillo, Sorachi Ace and others have been delivered 25-35% short on existing contracts, not to mention the difficulties in securing new contracts for new breweries. So that sucks for us and for y'all, as well. Basically, we've been making the best IPA we can with what we can get, as opposed to simply halting IPA production in early June.
    We are working on eliminating the microbial variable, but along those lines we did dump 120bbls of IPA in July due to those very concerns.
    To illustrate some of the hopping changes I'll give you a few of the schedules we've used (yeast and grain bill have been steady).
    Initially:
    Summit FWH, Citra :20, Amarillo & Chinook Whirlpool, Palisade & Chinook Hopback, Amarillo, Citra & Apollo Dry Hop
    Later:
    Summit FWH, Citra :20, Centennial & Chinook Whirlpool, Sterling & Apollo Hopback, Centennial, Citra & Apollo Dry Hop
    Sent to Houston (and many others):
    Summit FWH, Summit & Citra :20, Centennial & Chinook Whirlpool, Sterling & Chinook Hopback, Apollo, Citra, Centennial Dry Hop
    Currently:
    Summit FWH, Summit & Citra :20, Centennial & Chinook Whirlpool, Palisade & Chinook Hopback, Apollo, Citra, Simcoe Dry Hop
    Near Future:
    Summit FWH, Summit & Citra :20, Simcoe & Chinook Whirlpool, Palisade & Chinook Hopback, Apollo, Citra & Simcoe Dry Hop
    So hopefully this sheds some light on things, if there are any further questions, I'll try to be good about checking my inbox!

Cheers and beers,
    Drew Huerter
    Head Brewer - Deep Ellum Brewing Company

5. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Great info, Drew. Much appreciated that y'all share this kind of stuff with us.

6. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Savant (275) Texas Aug 16, 2010

So that explains the difference in the IPA taste that I've experienced over the last year. I knew not to believe the young bartender who wanted to chalk it up to "the driver dropped the keg off the truck". ;)

7. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (475) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Of those which version was the first canning? (Current recipe or the one just previous to it?) I believe this version tasted outstanding in every regard and as I've (and many others) mentioned before it did mimic the first draft version very closely and perhaps exceeded it.

Thanks for letting us peer behind the curtain a bit and hopefully your supply chain and inventory logistics enable you guys to settle on a recipe in the coming year. Any word on the Barleywine release?

8. Bought a sixer of the rye pils, dallas blonde and IPA while in Dallas last week. All excellent. I cant believe there is not more hype on the rye pils...that beer rocks! I wil definitely be buying some more next time I am in the metroplex...

9. channels321

channels321 Savant (285) Texas Apr 16, 2012

Drew and Tait, I say you need to expand to San Antonio. I f the guys in Houston cant appreciate your beer I will sure do my best ;) . I have enjoyed everything i tried from you guys and would love better access to your brews rather than have my wifes friend haul some down when she visits. Also when are you guys going to open up your online store? I love your designs and would like to get my hands on some glassware and shirts.

10. Ford

Ford Advocate (510) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Houston is enjoying it just fine thank you!

11. BgThang

BgThang Savant (455) Texas Dec 23, 2007

DEBC IPA was bangin this week when I had it on draught. I usually prefer 512 ipa, however DEBC IPA is the TOP TEXAS IPA right now. DEBC ipa had some issues when it first came out. astringency (maybe water issues) and such, but I am glad I tried them again. This is my goto IPA for now. Wish austin would get some cans

12. darocny

darocny Aficionado (110) Texas Oct 14, 2012

Actually, Houston wants their DEBC thank you very much. Like a lot of people on here, I always drink it when I see it on tap. Love the Farmhouse Wit, Rye Pils, Dream Crusher. And, IMO, the IPA is the best Texas IPA I've had when its right.

13. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

Give Rogness Gigantophis a try if you have not.

14. BgThang

BgThang Savant (455) Texas Dec 23, 2007

I have, it was ok.

15. bccocx

bccocx Champion (785) Texas Jan 13, 2007

Some DEBC has arrived in Austin at East 1st Grocery:

Double Brown Stout
    Rye Pils
    Dallas Blonde

East1stgrocery likes this.
  16. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (360) Texas May 17, 2012

Cans of Double Brown Stout, Rye Pils, and Dallas Blonde also arrived at Central Market in Houston today.

[​IMG]

Ford, HoustonZ33 and Clonies720 like this.
  17. Dansk

Dansk Zealot (90) Texas Jan 10, 2013

Those don't look cold

Clonies720 and rainerschuhsler like this.
  18. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Advocate (520) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Those ipa cans look different than the ones at specs

19. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

No IPA?

20. bccocx

bccocx Champion (785) Texas Jan 13, 2007

Unfortunately not!

21. Lutter

Good to hear. Gonna have to go pick up some fresh Rye Pils this week.

22. rainerschuhsler

Those aren't IPA cans.

23. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Advocate (520) Texas Feb 21, 2011

That's what I get for looking at the can instead of reading it haha

24. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (475) Texas Feb 13, 2007

DEBC Rye Barrel Aged American Barleywine out in April.

[​IMG]

rainerschuhsler and UHCougar12 like this.
  25. HoustonZ33

Wealth and Taste? :(

26. Lutter

WTF... is one of those barrels 1/2 IPA and 1/2 American Barleywine? (written on the middle barrel)

27. rainerschuhsler

I saw Wealth and Taste on tap at Hay Merchant yesterday.

28. AdamR46

AdamR46 Aficionado (215) Texas Nov 18, 2011

Bring Deep Ellum to San antonio. I picked up a bunch when I was in dallas last month, been spreading the word to friends by sharing a can. Really good IPA.

29. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Advocate (705) Texas Dec 28, 2012

Saw some Deep Ellum IPA at Specs midtown today. I didnt know this had made it to Houston yet. Also a ton of ABW and H&G in the corner but that stuff has been there a few weeks if not a month.

[​IMG]

30. rainerschuhsler

It's been here. Did you buy any? If you did, I'm interested to know what you think.

BTW, if anybody in Houston wants four cans of this stuff, BM me.

31. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Advocate (705) Texas Dec 28, 2012

No I just stocked up on some Zoe and Peacemaker. Getting ready for this hot weather that's coming quick. I take it you don't like it if you have some free cans to give away??

32. BK1017

BK1017 Aficionado (205) Texas Nov 9, 2009

Grabbed a sixer of Dallas Blonde this weekend. Maybe the DEBC guys can help me figure this out, but I got a very hazy beer with a lot of yeast sediment at the bottom of each can. I assume that Belgian wit yeast is not being used for a blonde ale, so why the haze? Thought the amount of yeast was not appropriate for the style. Reminded me of my early home brew days. Anyone else have a similar experience?

BK

33. HoustonZ33

<insert questions about Wealth and Taste here>

34. Specs Downtown just tweeted they will be stocking DE IPA, Rye Pils, Double Brown, and Dallas Blonde full time.

Ford likes this.
  35. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

OMG, its not like we don't have these magical things called refrigerators at home. What will we do?:D

36. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (610) Texas Nov 27, 2011

I think he was alluding to the fact that Deep Ellum responded to complaints about off-tastes in some of their beers by saying that their beers HAVE to be kept cold at all times, and that stores weren't doing this so they were the ones causing the problems.

But I could be wrong....

37. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

I have not had any problems...just like Jester King. They say keep refrigerated 24 hours before opening. Never had a problem there.

38. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (495) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Would buy a 6pack of IPA, but wildly varying reports of their quality will keep me away for awhile.

GregSVT likes this.
  39. I have had 3 different 6 packs of the IPA and other friends have had it as well. So far they were all top notch and nobody I know has said anything negative. I would not let a few people reporting about quality put you off from trying this nice IPA from them.

champ103 likes this.
  40. air

air Savant (370) Texas Mar 28, 2007