1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Everything Freetail

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by atxdelivery, Sep 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atxdelivery

atxdelivery Aficionado (235) Texas Aug 28, 2010

I just wanted to post this because I am tired of seeing the Jester King thread. FT is by far my favorite Texas brewery and I am not afraid to say so. IMO there is no comparison between the two. Now who has enjoyed their beers from the latest release and who has worked out some killer trades?

Josh
  2. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Savant (490) Texas Jan 20, 2010

I traded a Whiskey Rodeo for a White Chocolate...I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with my bottle of Fortuna. But seriously, Freetail makes awesome beer. I had Raspberry Ananke last night and it was very good.
    BgThang likes this.
  3. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (540) Texas Apr 26, 2007

I'm holding onto my Raspberry Ananke for a while. In a year or two, I'd like to do a side-by-side with the Lolita I bought last month.

Haven't completed any trades yet, but I have two set up for sometime next month. Hoping to score some DuClaw Retribution and DC Brau On the Wings of Armageddon.

And yes, Freetail 100% deserves its own thread.
  4. pwsoldier

Oh yeah, one more thing...

[​IMG]

Citra for their Fresh Hop Da Truck. I foresee many lunch breaks at the pub soon.
  5. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (355) Texas Dec 28, 2011

I've only been to freetail twice but I've been pretty impressed so far. The last bottle release was the shit! A couple of reasons I'd give them the nod over jester king:

Quality control
    Variety of styles (only farmhouse yeast with jk gets a bit old)

The only drawback is that I can't afford to drive to San Antonio all the time. If they'd open a location in Austin I'd bet it would do very well. Also sounds like Scott is trying to do his part in helping to change beer laws. His recent research study on the growth of breweries in Texas had some pretty good info.
    blatherbeard likes this.
  6. wagenvolks

wagenvolks Advocate (655) Texas Sep 23, 2005

I love both breweries for different reasons. But both have had issues with QC. Freetail had infected bottles of BA La Muerta and BA Old Bat Rastard before they switched up their barrel-aging program to wild ales. Jester King, to my knowledge, has never had an infection issue (unless Funk Metal was a serendipitous accident), although they do struggle with getting carbonation levels right in their bottle conditioned beers.

On the issue of style variety, one is a brewpub and one is a production brewery. This really isn't comparable IMO. Also, while JK has switched over to Farmhouse yeast, it's not their only means of fermentation, as they use a variety of pedio, lacto, and brettanomyces in their wild ales.

To add to the trade database, in the past few months I've traded both Jester King and Freetail beers for: Captain Lawrence wild ales, Fremont barrel aged beers, off-the-shelf Perennial, BCBS, KBS, Founders CBH, and (as part of a trade for) King Henry. I've also enjoyed my fair share of Rodeo variants and Freetail Wilds. We're entering a golden age here in Texas, boys (and gals)!
  7. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

They are both awesome and thankfully they are OUR's! I will for sure be attending as many future events as possible. Great beer + great people = great times

On the trade end. I nabbed a HF/Vermont box with (Vera Mae, Art, E, and Heady extras) for various Freetail beers...one of them being a Fortuna. Separately I nabbed a box of Cigar City (Cucumber, Leon, etc.) for a JK/Freetail combo wild box. Gots crickets when trying to get Mexican Cake though
    thirdeye11 likes this.
  8. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (335) Texas Aug 13, 2010

I got Mexican Cake for a mix of locals. (Including Black Metal & Freetail) This was well before it's "value" soared. He also threw in a Sexy Chocolate, DL '10, and Behemoth as extras.
    H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  9. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (550) Texas Nov 20, 2011

I'm thinking of trading my Mexican cake for sopapillas....:)
    LadyOfMuchBeer likes this.
  10. H0rnedFr0gs

Completed a trade for Weyerbacher Riserva '9-'11 as well for a mix of JK and Freetail. Thanks to miike for my new favorite sour addiction
  11. wolffman17

wolffman17 Savant (395) Texas Jul 14, 2005

Am I the only one that drinks them instead of trading them?? ;)
    Riccymon likes this.
  12. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (650) Texas Jul 14, 2009

Nope...i just buy a few extra in case good trades pop up ;)
    nate8767, texasclimber and wolffman17 like this.
  13. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (355) Texas Dec 28, 2011

The majority of my haul is more me but I also got some for family, friends, and regular traders. Need to spread something this good at least a little.
  14. westxbk

westxbk Zealot (90) Texas Apr 4, 2010

15. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (650) Texas Jul 14, 2009

^^ I know where I'm headed tonight
    wreckem8010 likes this.
  16. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

I do both! Best of both worlds but my wallet hates my guts right now!
  17. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Nope, i trade nearly nothing but drink it all, either with friends or alone.

Speaking of which, i think im gonna bring 512 to the la muerta release. Yes, that one.

Should we start thinking of whos bringing what?
  18. H0rnedFr0gs

Hoping that my trade for Leon goes through in time. If anyone has a particular want or two I wouldn't mind throwing down a bottle or two of something to make it happen. Maybe a EBW lineup?
  19. miikezombie

That's not the only thing that hates you...
  20. blatherbeard

Speaking of Freetail, anyone gonna be there today? Me and a buddy are going to be there sometime this afternoon. Hitting bastrop for breakfast and to show him a storefront that could possibly be a brewpub someday.

Maybe sometime around 3pmish.
  21. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (380) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

I was in San Antone one night a couple of weeks ago and we went to Freetail. I had a delicious smoked sour beer and a Flanders red type beer which was also excellent. I've never tried any Jester King stuff, maybe next trip through the area.
    H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  22. H0rnedFr0gs

Both are worth every second.
  23. atxdelivery

atxdelivery Aficionado (235) Texas Aug 28, 2010

Is it too early early to start a Google Docs link for the bottle share for La Muerta?
    mhenson42 and BgThang like this.
  24. mhenson42

What kind of beer is "Year of the Bat"? Being released in bottles on Sat. I don't know how to get to the page that gives the details on the Freetail mobile site.
  25. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (465) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Year of the Bat

Experimental Beer

5.9% ABV, 12 IBU [​IMG]
    Look up to the Texas night sky and witness a subtle blur. No, you haven’t had one pint too many, those are Tadarida brasiliensis, Mexican free-tailed bats, in action. The estimated 100-million free-tails living in Central Texas caves consume approximately 1,000 tons of insects each night, and are a vital part of our ecosystem and agriculture. This beer is a part of the United Nation’s year-long celebration of our miniature furry friends, as 2012 is the Year of the Bat. Our ale features beets, oranges, and rosewater – ingredients that wouldn’t be possible without the insatiable, insectivorous efforts of bats. $5 from each bottle sold will go to Bat Conservation International, learn more at www.batcon.org. Ingredients: 2-Row and pale crystal malts; malted wheat; sweet beets, oranges and rosewater; American hops; top-fermenting yeast; natural, limestone-filtered, Edwards Aquifer H2O; Scoring one for the little guy
    LadyOfMuchBeer likes this.
  26. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

Edit: A bit too slow......OK Glen, feel free to insert joke below.
    canadianghetto likes this.
  27. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (465) Texas Oct 15, 2011

T-minus 1 month, so no!
  28. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Beets and rosewater? That beer is going to smell like my grandma.... :p
  29. miikezombie

You aren't the boss of me. Making fun of you at this point will be about as entertaining as pwsoldier telling me "what the deal is with airline food."
  30. Grendle

Grendle Aficionado (195) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Forget a joke, I want to see a Doomsday Device. :mad:
  31. miikezombie

#HEEL
  32. H0rnedFr0gs

Excited for this bottle share gents. Well that and Freetails beer. Whose going to kick start the thread?

Anybody know the lineup of beers for sale yet?
  33. starkmarvelo

If anyone is going to Freetail on the 6th, make sure you leave some Year of the Bat for me. I'll be there Monday.
  34. BomberKing

BomberKing Aficionado (160) Texas Jan 15, 2011

Any one know if there is any raspberry ananke left? I wanna try it.
  35. miikezombie

Mhenson posted In the tasting thread that it sold out.
  36. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Savant (335) Texas Jan 20, 2010

So is year of the bat a fruit beer? Oranges and beets? Veggie beer?
  37. mhenson42

Yeah. It's gone. They still had Porto Gallito, Realtail and Berliner as of last Saturday.

I don't know if Peche'cus is still on tap. That's my favorite Freetail brew I've ha next to La Muerta.
  38. blatherbeard

Peche'cus was still on tap as of last sunday.
  39. starkmarvelo

Is there a bottle limit on La Muerta? Whats the total number?
  40. pwsoldier

In the past, they've limited it to 4 per person, but there are usually leftover bottles. I forget what the count was last year, but I want to say it was around 600-700. They just brewed La Muerta today, so it'll be a few weeks until we know what this year's bottle count is.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.