1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Everything Freetail

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by atxdelivery, Sep 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirWalkAbout

SirWalkAbout Member

Awesome time. Thanks for all the great shares.
  2. xpimptastikx

xpimptastikx Member

Well ain't that some shit! I've really wanted to try that blend, but I just can't justify international shipping and everyone in the US wants your left nut for a bottle.
    blatherbeard likes this.
  3. Texasfan549

Texasfan549 Member

I'm glad yall enjoyed it... I'm lucky enough to have someone living outside of the country who can get me some great beers; Cantillon, 3F, Boon, etc. I really enjoy being able to share those with fellow Texas BA's when I get the chance! They're too good not to
  4. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Member

Yes, stuff was amazing. Thank you. It's funny that they have access to those beers. It seems farther away than to the US. Tell them to stock up!
  5. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Member

Represent Montgomery County!! LOL
    Ford, TXhomebrewer and Texasfan549 like this.
  6. Lutter

Lutter Member

We went to Wurstfest tonight and after and hour or so of being arm to arm with Aggies, douchebags, and 50lb college girls on their 3rd $25 pitcher of Bud Light we decided to retreat and huff it down to Freetail. They still had La Muerta (2011 & 2013) on draft. I had those and Ananke, which I'd never had before. Wow! What an awesome sour! Right up with Boxer's Revenge as my favorite Texas Wild Ale!

Picked up 2 bottles of La Muerta and 1 RealTail 2012 (love mole beers!) to cap off the night we stopped at the HEB near Freetail to see if they had SA Merry Mischief (they didn't) but I did get 2 6-packs of Brown Sugga' (an impossible feat in Austin)

Great night!
    FUNKPhD and Ford like this.
  7. mhenson42

mhenson42 Member

That HEB has some good stuff from time to time. Gabriels, on the other side of 1604 from HEB, has a ton of Merry Mischief though - too bad you didn't stop in there. That HEB should have had one Boxers on the shelf unless someone bought it earlier in the day yesterday ( I saw it there on Friday night - bought two of the three they had on the shelf :) ).
  8. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Member

2013 La Muerta! Thats some Back to the Future Delorean type shit! :)
    FUNKPhD and thirdeye11 like this.
  9. Ford

Ford Member

It's 2013 La Muerta, aged to 2016 and then brought back to 2012.
  10. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Member

That's the Doc's favorite blend of La Muerta!
    nate8767 likes this.
  11. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Member

1.21 gigawatts...1.21 Gigawatts!?!?
  12. Lutter

Lutter Member

Unfortunately it was after 9pm when we got to SA, so we couldn't stop at Gabriel's. I already have 5 bottles of Boxer's, so I left the bottle for someone else.

Why liquor stores can't be 24 hours 7 days a week like in Miami, I'll never understand. At least till 2am and on Sunday!
  13. Lutter

Lutter Member

BTW: If anyone is interested in an IP trade in Austin for a 2012 La Muerta (sorry, not future aged ;) ) for a bottle of Ananke. Lemme know. It IS aged in a vehicle for 70 miles though. ;)

The cashier wasn't sure if regular Ananke was even bottled. She was only aware of the Raspberry variety. Is it?
  14. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Member

It's been bottled before, yes. On 2 separate occasions. Once in 12oz bottles and once in bombers. It wasn't released during Super Mega Awesome Bottle Release day though, which was a couple months back.
  15. mhenson42

mhenson42 Member

The last bottle release of Ananke was in April of this year. 22 oz bottles
  16. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Member

Blueberry Ananke next?

(Sorry...my La Muerta table of locals + Chad sold me on this variation was amazing...with a number claiming it only topped by Peche'cus in Freetails arsenal)

All aboard the hype train, next stop beer nirvana!
    scullycain likes this.
  17. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Member

I may never get to try Peche'cus. Ordered one on La Muerta day....but after 90 minutes of waiting, the server just took it off my tab. Didn't even offer to still bring it. I'm still sad I didn't get to try it.
  18. miikezombie

miikezombie Member

They need to never ever sell bottles that way again.
  19. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Member

Agreed. Te wait times for anything were a bit ridiculous. I think after it was all said and done, we were there for 3 hours, just waiting for food, drink and bottles. An hour or so just for the first drink.
  20. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Member

I just wanted to grab my bottles and go so I could get ready for work. I waited 45 minutes. Things work a lot more smoothly when they have people stand in line for their bottles before they sit down. Having everyone come in at once and start ordering created mayhem for the servers (and Roy at the bar, poor guy). I have much love and respect for Scott, Jason, and the entire Freetail staff, but I really hope that they go back to lines in the future, for everyone's sake.
  21. miikezombie

miikezombie Member

It's for their own good. I would never do something like that, but I could have easily walked out on my tab. People should never be given their bottles before paying.
    LadyOfMuchBeer likes this.
  22. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Member

Is th
    You serious about the blueberry?
  23. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Member

Agreed. I could have as well. I had two full cases of bottles in my possession for a good while before I paid, and with that chaos...its fortunate we are an honest bunch of drunks.
  24. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Member

Is Peche'cus still available? And does Freetail do a winter warmer or Christmas seasonal? I'd love to see what they could do with some spiced ale..
  25. Lutter

Lutter Member

Peche'cus was not there when we were on Saturday either in bottle or draught form.

Ya know what REALLY grinds my gears about this great place? They opened the month after I stopped living in San Antonio. And within 2 miles of my place. lol.

San Antonio is about 40x better in terms of beer access than it was 4 years ago. It's also 3x better in Alamo Drafthouse count.

Now if only they'd open a branch up Austin way. Make that happen.
    LadyOfMuchBeer likes this.
  26. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Member

Damn, was going to see if anyone would be interested in a growler trade..then again, I don't even know if they did fills on that one. They didn't on La Muerta day.
  27. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Member

Texas in general is 40x better now than it was four years ago.
    LadyOfMuchBeer and pwsoldier like this.
  28. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Member

Their main winter seasonals are Old Bat Rastard (old ale) and Invierno Inexistante (cocoa saison, they usually do a chile pepper version too). And no, Peche'cus is no longer available. They still have Ananke, Hopothesis, and '11 La Muerta on tap, along with their pumpkin saison.
  29. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Member

Last year's OBR release was my Freetail cherry break....good times, good times. :)
  30. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Member

No growlers of the majority of wilds (perhaps all..I forget what I was told) and special stuff like the Oaked La Muerta.
    I'm totally fine with this as well. It just makes me very jealous of the S.A. beer folk.

And the blueberry thing is just a myth I heard spun where the guys at Freetail did a batch Blueberry Ananke some time in the past. It sounds mighty tasty even if it only remains a myth.
  31. mhenson42

mhenson42 Member

Hopefully Peche'cus will make a reappearance on the 23rd for the 4th Anniv. Looking forward to seeing the draft list for the weekend. I plan to be there early on that Friday.
    jamescain likes this.
  32. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Member

It's no myth, it's a fucking legend.
  33. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Member

I'm hoping for some sort of Ananke in a bottle for the end of the world or 4th anniversary.
  34. jamescain

jamescain Member

Its no myth, I had more then a few glasses of blueberry ananke
  35. jamescain

jamescain Member

No growler fills on any special beer, which includes one off variants, any wild ale or la muerta. You just have to come to SA to try them. Some how I was lucky enough to get a growler of the Berliner before they stopped growlering it, best $10 I ever spent on a growler.
  36. jamescain

jamescain Member

Ananke will be ready when its ready. There is really no time table for Ananke, nor are there regular releases. If there was going to be bottles of Ananke for the 4th anniversary it would probably would have already been announced.
  37. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Member

How many variations of Ananke have there been?
  38. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Member

What announcements have been made other than the dates? The End of the World party is also coming up, but no details yet.
  39. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Member

Only 3 that I'm aware of. Raspberry, regular, and the mythical blueberry.
  40. jamescain

jamescain Member

Raspberry, cherry, and blueberry
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.