1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Everything Freetail

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by atxdelivery, Sep 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWChi

SWChi Savant (310) Illinois Oct 25, 2012

I'm assuming stemware is still available....heading down there from Chicago this weekend...thanks.
  2. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

Former food industry worker for 7 years in a variety of restaurants here. If you saw the way servers handled your silverware, you might start carrying around alcohol swabs to wipe it down before use. Also any food handling in general. I've seen some spotty things and pointed them out to management/called out co-workers. I'm surprised there aren't way more cases of food poisoning than there already are.

Edit: Just today at Kroger, guy picked up salmon with his bare hands to cut it for me. I promptly placed it in the trash where it belonged. I'll be having a chat with their managers shortly.
  3. DonD

DonD Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 23, 2008

4. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

o_O I don't understand this... but I'm sure he knows what he's doing.
  5. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (650) Texas Jul 14, 2009

I understand it. Freetail is really far from the metro area, just think of all the business they could get if they were closer to downtown. The driving distance doesn't stop me but I know it stops a lot of people from going there.
    mattisloco and pwsoldier like this.
  6. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (540) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Sounds like he's already thinking about distribution in the event that the beer bills are passed. According to the article in the Current, he feels that a second SA location is necessary in order to accommodate packaging and distribution. The space they have now is sufficient for bottling brewery-only releases, but they're going to need more space if they intend to distribute statewide.
  7. mattisloco

That makes sense.
  8. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

How about an Austin distro center? ;)

It would actually make total sense to have a location closer to Downtown. I used to live near Alamo Heights and frankly it took foreeeeever to get out to the area where Freetail is now.

SA is a very big place, folks.
  9. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (550) Texas Nov 20, 2011

I love the current location. It's only 2 miles from my house. :)
    soultrain19 and cam_williams like this.
  10. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (655) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Not surprised
  11. mattisloco

Neither am I
    cfh64 likes this.
  12. jamescain

Please? It only takes 30mins to get across the city...w/o traffic of course
    jl28r1 likes this.
  13. raffy313

raffy313 Savant (405) Texas Dec 15, 2010

Oh please... the only people that are bothered by that driving distance are BMC drinkers. And people who frankly don't deserve/care for Freetail beers. I could live on the farthest southeast corner of SA and I'd still make that drive weekly(at least). You people in SA are spoiled to have such a brewery anywhere in your city. If it was the drive, and getting more "business", why wouldn't it be a location more central TX(Austin even)?

I get why he's expanding, but my guess is for the reasons pwsoldier stated.
  14. Grendle

Grendle Aficionado (220) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Exactly why Freetail is expanding. Thanks Scott as in PWSoldier for the explanation. As for more centrally located to DT SA? I'm not a huge fan of that hipster scene going on along Alamo St. where everyone is a so called beer expert. I'll still be loyal to the original location and sporadically visit the new location. Nothing wrong with expansion.
  15. jamescain

Keep in mind that the majority of beer drinkers in SA are BMC drinkers, I'm pretty sure a substantial part of FTs clientele are BMC drinkers but make the exception when they go to FT, but they just stick to Freetail Ale. Moving the location to Central TX would probably increase business, but Scott is from SA and he wants to build the craft scene in SA, Austin doesn't need any help with that.
    pwsoldier likes this.
  16. jamescain

There's a hipster scene in SA? o_O I guess being from Austin I never noticed it
  17. soultrain19

soultrain19 Savant (270) Texas Feb 28, 2008

Dang. You live as close as my Brother. And fortunately for me my parents are moving to that side of town from 35 & Schertz Parkway. So know matter what family members I am visiting, I'll be a stones throw from Freetail.
  18. atxdelivery

atxdelivery Aficionado (235) Texas Aug 28, 2010

When is the next kick ass bottle share at Freetail?
  19. Grendle

3/30 AtxDelivery at 1PM that John is coordinating but we can start at 8:00AM sharp. Lol!
  20. atxdelivery

atxdelivery Aficionado (235) Texas Aug 28, 2010

Is there a bottle release, or just a bunch of kick ass dudes sharing good stuff?? 8AM is cocky!
  21. Clonies720

If you ain't drank a gallon O' barleywine by 9AM, the rest of the day is wasted.
    Ford, rainerschuhsler and Grendle like this.
  22. Grendle

Bunch of kick ass dudes...
  23. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (550) Texas Nov 20, 2011

Wasn't Echolocater Hopplebock going to be bottled? I thought I remember a post to that effect. I just went on tap this week.
  24. AlonCicerone

AlonCicerone Zealot (90) Texas Jan 25, 2011

Umm, folks talking about downtown & inner SA should realize that the San Antonio METRO area includes 8 counties, including Comal & the city of New Braunsfels. Officially, it actually borders Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos Metro area
  25. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Are you all kidding me about discussing where in SA Freetail might add a location? I drive hundreds of miles to buy cases of beer because they produce insanely great beer and allow for a fucking kickass party. Put that shit in McAllen ad I'm still making the drive.

When any of you all have heard me tell the story about dreaming of beer let it be known that I'm dreaming about a Freetail release and share.

No offense intended to those discussing locations. But dang it... Who cares? Just give us more Freetail
    pwsoldier and dumptruck81 like this.
  26. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

Glad to hear you don't mind the drive. I guess we will see you on the 30th! Cool!!
  27. Clonies720

I'm willing to make a drive to SA for Ananke release party.
    jforeman likes this.
  28. H0rnedFr0gs

The 30th of this month? April? Shit this job at the Saucer has me behind the game for sure. I only nabbed a bottle of abacus
  29. jl28r1

This month, Abacus is fine. :)
  30. mattisloco

He's resistant to change. Don't worry we're working with him.
    jl28r1 likes this.
  31. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Texas Jan 20, 2010

I'm willing to donate my garage to them if they want to brew out here. I'll distribute too, for free.
  32. H0rnedFr0gs

It felt so strange calling it Abacus in front of David Walker...pretty sure he laughed a little
  33. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

When I asked David Walker about the pronunciation of Sucaba... he said "the proper pronunciation is Abacus". So, uh, I think you were fine, lol.
    starkmarvelo likes this.
  34. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (475) Texas Oct 15, 2011

I've already got dibs as the Houston distribution center. I must've muled 10 cases of their stuff in 2012 to buddies in Houston. All non profit of course ;)
  35. rdooley

rdooley Savant (335) Texas Feb 7, 2013

Quick quesion - All the current beers that FT lists on their website...are these also the bottled options as well? Will be visiting next wkend and I'm curious what will be available to-go.
  36. jamescain

The website should also list bottles as well
  37. rdooley

rdooley Savant (335) Texas Feb 7, 2013

Cool thanks. I couldn't find it on the mobile site, but when I viewed the full version I found it.

Hoping the berliner releases this week!
  38. jamescain

You, me and, all the other SA BAs also
  39. jl28r1

No Berliner release, nothing to see here. Please move on.
    Be Friendly!
    Beernerds, jamescain, Grendle and 2 others like this.
  40. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (345) Texas Aug 13, 2010

In keeping with San Antonio tradition, Freetail will sell their Berliner for $40.
    Beernerds, HopAG, cfh64 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.