1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Everything Jester King

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by dumptruck81, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I know there's a new batch of Das Wunderkind and Boxer's Revenge coming. Seen 'em with mah own eyes!

Fruit beers? If they make a lambic w/ fruit we're gonna have to seal the damn borders from BAs.
  2. HopAG

HopAG Savant (475) Texas Sep 22, 2012

This!

Time to fortify JK like the Alamo!
    starkmarvelo likes this.
  3. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

Central Market Westgate had a couple of cases of Uberkind on the floor today.
  4. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Uberkind was a very tasty beer and easy to drink. That said, I think $15 is a bit much for a 750.
  5. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

LIKE x 186
  6. xpimptastikx

xpimptastikx Initiate (0) Texas Oct 8, 2008

I hate being that guy, but this is one of my pet peeves and I've had a long shitty day at work...
    Lambic is not made in the US, only wilds which are "lambic" style. I will agree that it would be awesome if JK made a fruited American wild though.
    pwsoldier and cfh64 like this.
  7. Is this kind of like the Abbey vs Trappist rule? As in, it's only a 'lambic' if it came from Belgium?
  8. xpimptastikx

xpimptastikx Initiate (0) Texas Oct 8, 2008

Yes, that's one point people can argue. The other is that fact that nobody in the US follows the same recipe or process as a true lambic brewer. There are only 4 ingredient in a Lambic (water, barley malt, unmalted wheat, aged hops), it should be cooled in a coolship, and you should never have to introduce any yeast to it because I true lambic is spontaneously fermented.
  9. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Savant (390) Texas Jun 28, 2010

We have started to add fruit to our barrel program. Our goal is to have some fruited barrel aged wild ale out this year. I believe the previous posts on this thread summarized the new things on the horizon from us that we've already announced, that is, El Cedro bottles, our barrel aged version of Gotlandsdricka, Ol Oi bottles, RU55 bottles, more Boxer's Revenge and more Das Wunderkind.

I agree that our beer should not be considered Lamic or Lambic-style. Allagash is the only brewery in the U.S. I'm aware of making spontaneously fermented Lambic-style beer using traditional methods (coolship, aged hops, etc.). There are probably some others besides Allagash, but they are the only brewery I've seen using a coolship.

Jeffrey Stuffings
    Jester King
  10. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Savant (490) Texas Jan 20, 2010

The imagination is running wild! Jeff, I just think it's so damn cool that you participate so much in the forum.
  11. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Raspberry Boxers. Same artwork plus a raspberry beret on the horse ;)
    Ford and fragilehearted like this.
  12. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

I like the idea of Blueberry Buddha's...call it the "Blue Buddha". Use blueberry kombucha and add some blueberries to the boil. Don't see how it could suck....
  13. HopAG

You could throw in stinky Durian and I would still drink it!

[​IMG]
  14. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

So what about the stuff you have yet to announce. As in, are you releasing more Beer Geek or Whiskey Rodeo?
    H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  15. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (650) Texas Jul 14, 2009

Jean van roy might disagree with you.
  16. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (650) Texas Jul 14, 2009

Do they use a turbid mash?

Anchorage just recently added a coolship also.
  17. jesterkingbeer

Allagash mentions doing a turbid mash in this video:

raffy313 and H0rnedFr0gs like this.
  18. raffy313

raffy313 Savant (405) Texas Dec 15, 2010

I've seen that video a handful of times since I began this craft beer journey maybe 4-5 years ago. Not that I'm now an expert on the whole lambic/spontaneous fermentation process, but it's funny how clueless I was at the time when I first saw it as opposed to seeing it all over again now. I actually understand the majority of the terms used in the making of this wonderful style of beer(in the traditional sense). There's so much science involve that this video hardly even begins to delve into... but the interest in wanting to know more, because of it, got me to do research and read up on the science behind this amazing process. I recommend others do the same... it's really cool. As is this video.

*Oh, but try not to let the fact that one of our bald-headed BA founders(todd), who found a way to make an appearance in it, detract you from enjoying it... :).
  19. Ruined the whole thing.
  20. johnnyboy41783

johnnyboy41783 Disciple (70) Texas Nov 26, 2012

Anyone know if there's any funk metal left in the Dallas /Addison area. I'm from south Texas I got a friend looking up there for me.
  21. Lutter

[​IMG]

There's 1 bottle of Das Wunderkind sitting at Twin Liquors Marketplace (downtown, near 40th/Red River). Left it there for someone in this thread to find.

Didn't leave you the last Funk Metal.
  22. I saw those two a couple of days ago and left them because I had just been to the brewery
  23. Azzy

Azzy Savant (290) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Forgot to Post. Anyone in Houston that did not get Funk or Das Wunderkind, there are like 5 cases of each at D&Q
  24. HopAG

HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO MEE.... I Just wanted to get funky......
  25. Azzy

Azzy Savant (290) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Then get on down to D&Q and get Funky.
    HopAG likes this.
  26. HopAG

Damn i was there looking for Hellfighter and my tunner vision prevented me from seeing the FUNK
  27. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

There's a good amount of FM left at WF Bellaire if anyone is looking for some.
  28. jesterkingbeer

I noticed this morning that our most recent reviews have a score, but no written review. Did something change with the site that allows this?

Thanks,

Jeffrey Stuffings
    Jester King
  29. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Looks like quick reviews are now included...not sure if this is a WIP or a finalized change
  30. PhatAtUT

PhatAtUT Savant (475) Texas Jul 31, 2009

"Had" scores now count in ratings.
  31. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

This is a great thing.
  32. Lutter

I just wish there was a button to "hide reviews with no comments"
  33. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Suggest it to the brothers, thats a good idea.
  34. jesterkingbeer

I was a little confused when Jester King went from about 500 total reviews to over 1,700 apparently overnight.

Jeff
    Krumb likes this.
  35. Krumb

Krumb Savant (280) Texas Jan 30, 2008

Magic...
  36. There is. Where you can sort the reviews, there's a little box to filter the reviews with no comments
  37. utx05

utx05 Disciple (60) Dec 11, 2012

Went into specs slaughter to pick up some bourbon... and walked out with 2 boxers revenge. Half a case on the floor.
  38. HopAG

Welp.... Went after work and they were out! No Funk for me!

Jeff please send more Funk Metal our way!
  39. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Friendswood HEB had four bottles of Funk Metal with all the other bombers yesterday. If you can't find one, I have one that I can trade you for something... I picked it up because I loved the logo and in case I ever had a friend over who might like it... but I'm not a big sourish beer fan.
  40. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Not to take away from the trade bate, but have you had it yet? Funk Metal is worth having at least once and I do not like most sours.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.