1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Everything Jester King

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by dumptruck81, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeanBone

BeanBone Savant (445) Texas Oct 12, 2006

Everyone's different. I've been in the game a while now and I could never just have 10-12 bottles laying down, that's me. Watching beer age is one of my favorite parts of the hobby, plus nothing feels better than going through the boxes thinking "Now, what am I in the mood for this weekend? A four year old BA stout, a year old sour, or maybe that five year old barleywine over there..."
  2. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Not to mention finding things you forgot you had.

Which, I guess, is why you should keep a spreadsheet. ...fuck it, it's more fun digging through treasure than looking at it on a computer screen.
    jbeezification and BeanBone like this.
  3. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

your memory must be horrible then...
  4. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (655) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Couldn't agree with you more. It's not that I plan on stopping trading altogether, I rather just have something more manageable. I usually only drink once a week, sometimes more and sometimes less, and the beer just keeps accumulating. It's like trying to shovel snow with a spoon in the middle if a blizzard.

Sure, I could put a small dent in my cellar if I drank every beer I traded for in one night but I don't like waking up the next morning not remembering and/or appreciating some great beer that I decided to open after consuming a bit too many, lol. I save the locals or beers I've had multiple times for that.

Although I'm now in the camp of most beers are better fresh, there are still some that hold up or do improve with age so I often trade for multiples of those if I really like them. I also cringe when I think about the money I've spent. Fuck, my average box with a few JK's, couple of locals and shipping can easily hit close to $100 a box. A few of those a month adds up.

More power to everyone with a huge cellar. It's alit of fun but it became burdensome to me. I'll probably stick to one full size fridge and a couple boxes in the closet from here on out.
    icetrauma, BeanBone and Krumb like this.
  5. Danielbt

If you can name every single beer from a 400+ bottle cellar just off the top of your head, you're "special".
  6. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

point taken, but not what I was getting at, and a bit pejorative... if you have a 400 bottle cellar then nothing should take you by surprise. it is only 400.
  7. Danielbt

Not surprise, but delight. An "oh, yeah!" moment.
  8. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

I'm going to go balls deep (proverbially) in your collections people.

Anybody know when El Cedro or Ol Oi are going to make it out into the wild?
  9. bccocx

bccocx Advocate (685) Texas Jan 13, 2007

Both are awaiting label approval. I think El Cedro will hit before Ol Oi, but I may be wrong
  10. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Think Jeff mentioned at one point that El Cedro was the next in line for label approval and release earlier in this thread...
  11. PhatAtUT

PhatAtUT Savant (485) Texas Jul 31, 2009

i just stopped by and grabbed two. there was still one left on the shelf for anyone looking.
    mmireles likes this.
  12. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

I call bullshit! It will take you over a year from right now to get to that point and no trading on top of that. I haven't really traded in the past 5 months and I haven't even really put a dent in my closet "cellar" stuff.

"Fuck these 1st world problems BRO!" ;)
    cfh64 likes this.
  13. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (770) Texas Jun 14, 2012

1st world problems, lol! When my wife and I took our dogs and bird to the vet, the vet told us the bird had high triglycerides and needed a diet modification, 1st world problems! Back to beer, seems as though there is still plenty of Wunderkind hanging around Dallas, saw some at CM Lovers last night (got 1), they also had Boxer's and Funk.
  14. H0rnedFr0gs

Thats a new batch of all three (making them batch 3 Das, batch 3 Boxers, and batch 2 Funk)

Anyone tried the newest batches of Funk or Das yet? Specifically was the tartness of Das closer to batch 1 than batch 2? Was the carb on batch 2 Funk lower?
  15. lokieman

Anyone seen any OG Black Metal hanging around Austin...? Need a bottle for a trade...
    TapThat likes this.
  16. Danielbt

I bought/will buy any I've found. Haven't seen it in probably 6 months.
  17. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (350) Texas May 17, 2012

I have some I'll trade.
  18. HopAG

HopAG Savant (475) Texas Sep 22, 2012

We still have so much OG Black Metal in Houston, it is ridiculous how much I find on beer runs
    BeanBone likes this.
  19. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (315) Texas Aug 22, 2012

Please let us know or BM me. Everytime I go to Spec's Smith St they never have any.
  20. fragilehearted

fragilehearted Savant (270) Texas Dec 13, 2009

Sadly, I thought Das 3 tasted pretty much like Das 2. Fortunately, traded some away last weekend.
  21. HopAG

BMd
  22. H0rnedFr0gs

Heck I have a lot of batch 2 left. I really liked it but I'm just going to stow them until spring, which at this rate is next Tuesday. I freaking loved this recent batch of Boxers..maybe a little less tart than previous ones but damn its just near perfect
  23. fragilehearted

fragilehearted Savant (270) Texas Dec 13, 2009

Yeah I haven't had this batch of Boxer's yet (but got some last weekend after you raved about it), so we shall see....
  24. ext1rpate

ext1rpate Aficionado (220) Texas Feb 21, 2011

What about the case of Pumpkinator you bought?
  25. Danielbt

I take it back, Sunrise has bottles right now.
  26. HopAG

Trade bait, especially now that the ratings have gone up so high.

I'm getting a Darklord for one :rolleyes:
  27. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (550) Texas Nov 20, 2011

Not sure whose getting the short end of the stick on that one. Lol
  28. Danielbt

Sigh. I lied, they changed the label again.
  29. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Dark Lord is MUCH better than Pumpkinator IMHO.

I think it needs to sit though.
  30. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (550) Texas Nov 20, 2011

I agree, but after drinking this years batch, I don't hold it in such high esteem as I used to. The '09 I had at the JK bottle share was not bad, but nothing great. '07 Dark Lord is one of the best beers I've ever tasted.
  31. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Yep, happened to me 3 wks ago. By no means did I have anywhere near the amount alot of folks have but I opened up the beer fridge and was said, this is just crazy.
  32. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (360) Texas Dec 28, 2011

Love the carbonation in batch 3 boxers. Unfortunately it's mainly funk and not much sour. Couple of my friends had the same thing to say about it.

I know... Bitch bitch bitch
  33. lokieman

He wouldn't sell me one earlier...said he had 5 cases in the back but was saving them for next year and the year after. I'll stop by after work again and see what's up...did you see them on the shelf?
  34. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Probably new ones. I noticed on the TABC label site the other day that they got approval for a slightly different label for the Black Metal (the word "farmhouse" is moved, etc.)

[​IMG]
  35. lokieman

Yea I figured this is what happened...I almost mistook the new label as a non-fh version myself. Have a bottle coming from Houston so things worked out (thanks Rainer)
    rainerschuhsler likes this.
  36. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

These bottles have new new matte/metallic labels.
  37. Danielbt

Yeah, sorry about that. The new labels got rid of the "Farmhouse" scrawled over "Black Metal", which tricked me momentarily. The real old labels are much less ornate and don't have the skull on the left side.
  38. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

They also have the neck label, which is the easiest way to spot
    BeanBone and rainerschuhsler like this.
  39. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I think only 4 beers have ever had the neck label.
  40. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (350) Texas May 17, 2012

Yep. Also the #1 indicator you're buying old Wytchmaker.
    UHCougar12 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.