Everything Jester King

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by dumptruck81, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

Flanders should be medium-bodied according to BJCP. http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style17.php#1b

2. MattSweatshirt

MattSweatshirt Advocate (735) Texas Jun 29, 2011

I've had one bottle of RU-55 and I gotta say it was pretty spot on as far as the style goes and was mighty delicious.

I like the radio show spot they did. All you dudes need to check it out if you haven't.
    http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/943

Krumb likes this.
  3. Daemose

Daemose Advocate (505) Texas Oct 3, 2011 Verified

I had a bottle of the new batch of Das Wunderkind. It seems all the new batches of Wunderkind and Boxers have this harsh, less yogurty sourness I don't remember from the last batches.

I let the other half of the bottle sit in the fridge overnight though, and this morning, it's perfect. It lost some carb, but it definitely improved the flavor, in my opinion.

TJ008 likes this.
  4. Possible the barrels are taking on a more acetic quality as they are being used more frequently. That yogurty sourness is lactic acid while acetic acid (vinegar) is more sharp.

5. Daemose

Gotcha. Makes sense.

6. BrutalSusan

BrutalSusan Savant (250) Texas Dec 13, 2011

Looking for funk metal? Royal blue grocery on 4th and nueces has it!!!! Also RU 55, Das and boxers

7. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Advocate (530) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Can they reuse the barrels? Or does the single use law only apply to bourbon?

8. crusian

crusian Advocate (640) Oregon May 14, 2010

Bourbon barrel aged beers are not their first use, lol.

9. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Advocate (530) Texas Feb 21, 2011

It would be the first use for a beer. When making bourbon, by law, I'm almost positive distilleries can only use fresh barrels for their whiskey.

10. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

You can't use them too many times, but some get more than 1 beer aging. Look at the Pappy barrels that housed Rare then King Henry.

UHCougar12 likes this.
  11. BrutalSusan

BrutalSusan Savant (250) Texas Dec 13, 2011

Oh and they also have Gotlandsdricka!!!

12. BeanBone

BeanBone Savant (455) Texas Oct 12, 2006

That's just a requirement to be called bourbon. If they were to re-use the barrels, the whiskey would be a-okay, just not eligible to use the protected bourbon name.

13. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

Is thrash and bonnie out right now anywhere?

14. HopAG

HopAG Savant (495) Texas Sep 22, 2012

I seriously doubt it... I'm pretty sure I got the last bit of Thrash in Houston before Christmas.

15. scullycain

scullycain Zealot (80) Texas Oct 10, 2012

I'm fairly certain Thrash is still around in SA

16. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (515) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

Gabriel's on 1604 and Blanco in SA still had some last time I was there.

17. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

Houston sorry for not stating

18. That Gabriel's has a bunch of Bonnie, Thrash, Gotlandstricka and Weasel Rodeo.

19. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Savant (255) Texas Jul 12, 2012

Saw Thrash at the Spec's off Kuykendahl.

I'm sitting on a bottle of Bonnie if you want it sir.

20. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Savant (475) Texas Jun 28, 2010 Verified

While I'll never quibble with someone preferring one blend over another, I will say that I'd be shocked if you're getting much, if any, acetic acid in our barrel blends. Acetic acid is our public enemy number one with our barrel program. We temperature control our barrel room at 60F to 65F, top off barrels, avoid breaking the pellicle, and discard barrels and beer showing any signs of acetic acid.

Jeff

BeanBone, Clonies720, BK1017 and 3 others like this.
  21. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (345) Texas Jan 22, 2013

The way it should be done!

22. bbadger

bbadger Savant (385) Texas May 20, 2011

23. jsboots21

jsboots21 Savant (280) Tennessee Jan 19, 2009

At the brewery Saturday, Josh said they use the barrels multiple times, but didn't give an exact number. They rinse upon receipt and don't mind reusing as the goal isn't to impart whiskey/spirit/wine flavors from the barrels' previous use into the beer, but to create a micro-ecosystem in which the beers can meld with the desired yeast and bacteria. Hopefully I'm not bastardizing his summary.

starkmarvelo likes this.
  24. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (495) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Hmm what happened to Sour Gotlandstricka?

25. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (345) Texas Jan 22, 2013

26. videofrog

videofrog Advocate (515) Texas Nov 13, 2010 Subscriber

BruceBruce and rainerschuhsler like this.
  27. DanzBorin

I don't think they are using barrels that previously housed spirits for the sours. My comment was aimed at Bourbon barrels.

28. bccocx

bccocx Champion (810) Texas Jan 13, 2007 Verified

From the label of Salt Lick:

"First came the witches, and soon after there were vampires. They came in droves and each time one popped up it seemed to be better looking than the last, each polished to a blinding luster. For a brief moment werewolves even had their moment in the spotlight, plucked and preened of course to studio perfection. Then, to our astonishment, monsters comprised of nothing more than smoked joined this pop phenomenon -- and that we could just no longer resist. "

ALC/VOL 6.7% FG 1.002 IBU 22

Ingredients: Hill Country Well Water, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Malted Wheat, Flaked Oats, Hops, Farmhouse Yeast, Wild Yeast, Souring Bacteria

Notes: Crafted in the once commonplace, Old World tradition of bierre de coupage, young, dry hopped ale is blended with old, barrel-aged sour beer fermented with wild yeast. A portion of the malt was smoked over pecan wood at the Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood, TX. Unfiltered, unpasteurized and naturally conditioned by re-fermentation in the bottle.

Wow! Can't wait to try this one.

29. jsboots21

Both Boxer's Revenge and Buddha's Brew use(d) whiskey barrels. There were filled Old Tom's Gin barrels in the barrel room, and the majority of their ongoing work involves soured/spontaneously fermented beers. So...

30. JohnBender

JohnBender Advocate (500) Texas Apr 20, 2012 Subscriber

31. DanzBorin

Wonder why Whisky instead of just an oak barrel... Beer is usually aged in spirit barrels for spirit and wood flavors.

32. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (635) Texas Nov 27, 2011 Verified

I hope the beer tastes better than the Salt Lick's BBQ. Boom! :cool:

33. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Jez, if only Thirsty Planet bottled their Franklin BBQ we could get a vertical BBQ joint beer tasting going.

Definitely getting a bottle for my dad... he lurves The Salt Lick.

bccocx likes this.
  34. jsboots21

Guessing they get them cheaper if they're recycled/previously used by a distillery. You can tell a major difference between the first two batches of Boxer's and the most recent one in terms of how reusing whiskey barrels reduces the whiskey flavors imparted in the beer after each application.

35. Not only are new barrels more expensive but they are going to be far more oaky. With sour beers you're not always trying to put oak/spirit/wine flavors in the barrel.

36. Daemose

Yeah. I think this is what I was noticing as far as the change in boxers.

37. Daemose

I thought in boxers that was the goal though.

38. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I'm sure Jeff will chime in here soon. I know Boxer's is fermented in spent whiskey and wine barrels, I'm not sure if they reuse those barrels however.

39. kunstdrache

kunstdrache Savant (255) Texas Sep 22, 2006

I know that for most breweries that use bourbon barrels for their beers tend to max them out after the third time, not sure about wine barrels though. Also, I do know that some breweries that use oak barrels for their wild ales will try to use the barrels that have been successfully inoculated as many times as they can while tossing the barrels that didn't pick up the bugs they want.

40. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

ISo: whiskey rodeo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.