1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Everything Jester King

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by dumptruck81, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (540) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Shelf whalez, ftw. We also have a bunch of Funk still, and I spotted both Uberkind and RU at the new Spec's at 1604/281.
  2. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Sweet Jezus. This place is fucking awesome. And I didn't even take the tour. The bonus is that there are tons of kids around for my boy to hang out with and my wife loves the pizza. If you've ever thought about going on a Saturday, please do. It's family friendly and the food is amazing. Plus you're paying $10 for tastings when the glassware by itself is $7. Awesome crowd, awesome food, awesome beer...I'm drunk.
  3. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (550) Texas Nov 20, 2011

I was gonna take the family up today as well. Had to buy a car instead. I really wanted to try the Experimental sour... How was it
  4. starkmarvelo

It was okay. Lightly tart and a bit oxidized. If RU-55 was too tart for you than this was great. The star for me was El Cedro and the pizza :)
  5. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (550) Texas Nov 20, 2011

El Cedro was great. Did Stanley's have bottles for sale?
  6. cmoody91

cmoody91 Savant (310) Illinois Mar 21, 2010

Anyone else have any carbonation issues with RU-55? Opened my bottle of it tonight and it was completely flat. Kept it in the fridge for 3 days before opening, allows it to warm up a bit before opening the top. Still pretty delicious beer, but surprised at it being still!
    Guess the good news is I'll be back in Texas in a couple weeks and hopefully can find another one to try. (May even finally make it to the brewery!)
  7. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (255) Texas Sep 6, 2010

I had posted earlier with the same issue. My bottles with the old cap are basically sour water. Bottles with the new cap (satyr pic) are much better. I was surprised since I bought the ones with the carbonation issues @ Stanley's during the 2nd anniversary party. I expected better to be honest....
  8. cmoody91

Cool, wanted to check since it was shipped to me. I'll look forward to picking up bottles with the new caps in a couple weeks I guess!
  9. Cablejelly

I guess the thing that really surprised me was that I thought RU-55 was released after the new caps (Das Uberkind was my first with them). I wasn't expecting the old cap at all but either that batch or that bottling was shit. I haven't been that disappointed with a Jester King brew since the first bottling of Commercial Suicide...
  10. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Hopefully el cedro makes it to Houston. I'd like to try this one
  11. cmoody91

You always have to factor in the time it takes to bottle condition though, so may have been just before.
  12. starkmarvelo

Yes they did. Also on draft. I loved it.
  13. ShameAndFailure

ShameAndFailure Savant (305) Texas Mar 26, 2009

5 cases of FM at Lone star in Carrollton
  14. pwsoldier

Not gonna lie, I prefer that batch of CS over the current one. The flavor is spot-on for the style and I have a nice big chalice that keeps the foam in check. I think I may relieve Gabriel's of their remaining bottles tonight since they're free.
  15. Cablejelly

And I really dig the oak of the new version. That must be a huge chalice though. My sink couldn't even keep the foam in check when I was dumping them... just wish I knew about the (rumored?) recall before I did that. But that's water under the bridge. I am gonna have to take a trip down to Gabriel's though, they sound pretty stocked based on what I see in multiple threads.
  16. pwsoldier

Have you seen the goblets they have at Black Star? It's almost that big, but not nearly as thick. A careful pour with that glass will give me a 2-finger head in less than ten minutes.
  17. Cablejelly

That made me lol. I may have one that big. Aint nobody got time for that!
  18. Cablejelly

19. starkmarvelo

That's my girl, leave her alone!
    Compton25 and Cablejelly like this.
  20. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

Yeah I will be AZZYing at least a case of El Cedro for sure
  21. Dansk

Dansk Zealot (80) Texas Jan 10, 2013

had the same issue with RU. Drank one this week with new bottle cap, was wonderful. Two days later had one with the old cap, still good, but thin, watery. Whoever said that above cracked the code. Find ones with the new caps.

Does anyone have a screen cap of JK's Salt Lick?
  22. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

[​IMG]
    JJFoodie likes this.
  23. saw that el cedro bottles were picked up, can't wait to get some more of this tasty beer
    mattisloco likes this.
  24. bccocx

bccocx Advocate (685) Texas Jan 13, 2007

El Cedro was selling for $13 at Stanley's Farmhouse Pizza. That will probably be the best place to pick up a large quantity (and they had lots of it).
  25. mmireles

mmireles Aficionado (210) Texas May 18, 2005

If anyone in the Sugar Land/Missouri City area is still looking for RU-55 , Das Uberkind or Commercial Suicide the beer manager at the HEB in Sienna Plantation just posted he got them in.
    Clonies720 likes this.
  26. kmello69

Saw this today. Can't tell you how happy I am to finally see bottles with batch #'s and dates.

[​IMG]
  27. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

That is beautiful
    JJFoodie and rainerschuhsler like this.
  28. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Savant (390) Texas Jun 28, 2010

As we said in our blog post, we're sorry it's taken us this long. I hope it removes a lot of the confusion that I've seen discussed in this thread.

Jeff
    BeanBone, mattisloco and bccocx like this.
  29. jesterkingbeer

We line-priced El Cedro with Black Metal and Mad Meg.
  30. kmello69

Jeff,

Thank you guys so much for listening to your fans. I love the fact that you guys take the time to come here, to listen to us (sometimes) whine about things, and to actually care enough to do something about it. You will always have my support.
  31. JJFoodie

JJFoodie Aficionado (210) Texas May 11, 2009

Any ETA, price point, and distribution info (# of bottles, year-round vs. seasonal, availability at the Salt Lick's beer store) for the new Salt Lick beer?
  32. jesterkingbeer

Not quite yet. We have TTB approval. It will be a limited release beer. I'm pretty confident it won't be a year-round beer. We brewed and blended about 90 barrels total. We haven't set the price point yet. Distribution will be likely 95% Texas with a small amount for festivals and out of state.

Technically we haven't even announced it yet, but you're clever in checking the TTB approvals, which of course if fine.

Jeff
    jbeezification likes this.
  33. JJFoodie

JJFoodie Aficionado (210) Texas May 11, 2009

Thanks, Jeff! After eating there a week ago, I can't wait for the ultimate pairing of JK Salt Lick at the Salt Lick with their amazing pork ribs and burnt end brisket (the sausage, not so much...but then again, I'm no Daniel Vaughan).

Cheers!
    Justin
    mattisloco likes this.
  34. mattquenette

mattquenette Aficionado (120) Texas Mar 12, 2008

"For the very first time, Jester King with The Meddlesome Moth proudly presents an entire tasting of all Sour and Wild Ales!"

Wytchmaker
    Organic Wild Rye IPA-7.3%

Das Wunderkind!
    Organic Wild Saison-4.5%

El Cedro
    Hoppy Cedar Aged Ale with Brett-8%

RU-55
    Barrel Aged Sour Red-7.3%

Funk Metal
    Sour Barrel Aged Stout-8.2%

Boxer's Revenge
    Organic Barrel Aged Wild Ale-10.2%

Salt Lick
    Collaboration with Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood, TX
    Pecan Wood Smoked Wild Saison-6.7%

Will post the food pairings tomorrow. There will be a meet and greet beer, five courses and finish with the Salt Lick. The dinner starts next Monday the 25th at 6pm. We still have about 30 spots available for $75. Call 214.628.7900 for reservations.
  35. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

I think they've done a beer dinner before at Meddlesome w/ Jester King???? Maybe Im crazy.

**EDIT** All Sour Beer Dinner... gotcha... I need better reading skills
  36. Heretic42

Heretic42 Savant (410) Texas Aug 31, 2011

mattisloco likes this.
  37. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

How is Wytchmaker either of those things?
  38. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Just saying. Ads in the threads are not the proper place. Use the events section for this awesome dinner..I'm just trying to preserve the thread while a reboot might be in order soon (v2.0)
  39. mattchow

mattchow Savant (370) Texas Jun 24, 2012

after it sits for a year it changes dude.
  40. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (650) Texas Jul 14, 2009

To what? An old IPA?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.