1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Everything Jester King

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by dumptruck81, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

They have an experimental Wytchmaker barrel blend in the tasting room tomorrow. The Moth list says "Wild Rye IPA" so it is probably some version that we haven't seen before.
    BeanBone likes this.
  2. mattquenette

mattquenette Aficionado (120) Texas Mar 12, 2008

It is an inoculated version of Wytchmaker.
    Clonies720 likes this.
  3. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Sour... IPA?

Weird. I've never heard of such a thing... even as a mistake!
  4. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (650) Texas Jul 14, 2009

It doesnt have to be sour to be wild.
    texasclimber and BeanBone like this.
  5. Lutter

Duh. My mind immediately goes to sour when I think Jester King. Both Evil Twin & Surly have done well-rated All Brett IPAs.
  6. Lutter

Is it bad I had no idea that El Cedro was 8% ABV? That thing drank like it was 4.5%! (that's a compliment)
  7. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

I have a bottle of Pliny that arrived to me way older than it should be consumed. So I decided to abuse the hell out of it. "Age" it for a year or so. Expose it to sunlight and changing temps. Should be skunk-tastic!
    oldp0rt likes this.
  8. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (350) Texas May 17, 2012

What about Real Ale's Mysterium Verum Imperium? It was a soured Lost Gold IPA (and so good).
  9. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Savant (390) Texas Jun 28, 2010

Normally you'd be correct because there's nothing wild about Wytchmaker. However, for The Moth dinner we sent them an experimental keg of Wytchmaker that was a blend of young Wytchmaker and old, sour beer.

Jeff
  10. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Savant (390) Texas Jun 28, 2010

I wouldn't call it a sour IPA actually, as it's not a long-term, 100% barrel aged beer with souring bacteria. Our goal in making this experimental blend was to introduce some mild acidity and funky notes into Wytchmaker. We wanted to create some flavors in the beer derived from organisms beyond pure cultured, brewers yeast.

Jeff
    xpimptastikx and jbeezification like this.
  11. Lutter

Whip In has El Cedro... just posted to Twitter.
    rainerschuhsler likes this.
  12. how many cases of el cedro are there?
  13. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Since this is the Everything JK thread, I had to share this here. I'm so happy I might just pee myself a little bit.

Check out what I found in Bee Cave tonight - an original, 2 label Black Metal that's been refrigerated the whole time! Guy told me they've had it in the cooler, and were just never able to sell it, and this was the last one. Man, this just made my weekend (and while I was there I picked up a Double Bastard for good measure)

[​IMG]
    mattisloco likes this.
  14. Schmuck82

Schmuck82 Initiate (0) Texas Nov 13, 2008

Don't drink it all at once. ...or do.
  15. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (255) Texas Sep 6, 2010

That's a fantastic hit. I can tell you from experience that the OG Black Metals that have been refrigerated for 2yrs have developed nicely. Long gone are the overpowering alcohol kicks. This really is the pride and joy (or should be) of all the jester king brews. I'd gladly sacrifice every sour and one-off they've brewed and aged since just to get back to this. I have enough of these to not believe the rumor but from what I hear, these trade/sell for $200 a bottle... like I said, I don't believe it but it's what I hear. Regardless, I'm keeping mine ;)
  16. Daemose

Daemose Savant (450) Texas Oct 3, 2011

I had a whole case of OG. delicious stuff.
    TJ008 likes this.
  17. kmello69

I drank all my non-farmhouse ones, or sent them out in trades, so I just assumed I'd never get to have this one again. Its going in the beer cellar for a special occasion - it very well may be my last one ever.
  18. darocny

darocny Aficionado (110) Texas Oct 14, 2012

Why end this great beer? I have two bottles left and I guess that will be the end.
  19. xpimptastikx

xpimptastikx Initiate (0) Texas Oct 8, 2008

They're experimental blends today were fantastic, keep it up guys!
    I did prefer the Wytchmaker sour blend over the 50/50 blend of Black Metal and Ol Oi', FWIW.
    jesterkingbeer likes this.
  20. Cablejelly

Seeing that you're close, and I can probably grab a few more, I'd have to disagree with you ;)
  21. kmello69

Well do tell! :)
  22. Cablejelly

I can't do that but what I can do is secure them and hand them off for face value ;) I start talking, I lose access. ;)
  23. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

My single bottle of OG and I are intrigued.
  24. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

You and a bunch of other folks as well.
  25. Lutter

OG Black Metal: the beer that never runs out.

I swear, Jeff & Co. are secretly still brewing this one up and slowly releasing this one out. I've never seen so much of a beer come out of the woodwork over a year after release. :)
    jbeezification likes this.
  26. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

twin liquor....?
  27. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

So are you suggesting I go to my local shop, and scoop up the multiples of OG black metals sitting on the shelf?
    BruceBruce likes this.
  28. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

They trade $4$ for limited locals. This is all you should recieve or ask for if you do trade one.

Side note- if OG Black Metal trades for $200 then King Henry trades for $1,200. And honestly you couldn't trade 6 Black Metals for a single KH.
    jsboots21 and lokieman like this.
  29. ThirdEyePA

ThirdEyePA Savant (370) Texas Nov 7, 2011

This upcoming Thursday at Dancing Bear in Waco is Jester King brewery night. They will have RU-55 on draft, El Cedro firkin, Funk Metal, Gotslandrika, and Commercial Suicide in bottles. Keep the glass night and there will also be a food pairing of Chicken & Waffles by Seeder Shak.

And I'd loooove some OG Black Metal. I haven't had or seen any in a while. I need to make sure I'm keeping an eye out.
  30. Snagged a couple OG Black Metals from Rosedale Market tonight. Had one up front and I dug out another. They were randomly placed within a bunch of farmhouse.
    lokieman and ThirdEyePA like this.
  31. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Savant (335) Texas Jan 20, 2010

They also have thrash metal still
  32. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

Can't wait till I get my tax refund this week. Planning a trip down to Austin in the next 1.5-2 weeks, and visiting Jester King. That's the main attraction for me! If any BA's want to meet up for a beer or trade, I'd be down for that.
  33. lokieman

Azzy and Daemose like this.
  34. Daemose

Daemose Savant (450) Texas Oct 3, 2011

Yeah lol. Sounds awesome.
  35. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (795) Texas Jun 14, 2012

Any sightings of El Cedro in DFW?
  36. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

DAMN!
  37. lokieman

still hasn't made it outside of Stanley's here in Austin...
  38. bccocx

bccocx Advocate (685) Texas Jan 13, 2007

I believe Whip In got it last week, but that was likely self-distribution. I don't think Virtuoso has sent it out yet (or at least I haven't heard)
  39. lokieman

oh yea you're right they did have a few the other day. Spec's, Sunrise, CM still waiting on distro as of this morning....
  40. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Craft Pride's bottle shop has it too. Had it last week, actually, but I don't think they had opened the bottle shop to the public.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.