1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Everything Jester King

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by dumptruck81, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (560) Texas Nov 20, 2011

Gabriel's in SA still has a bunch left. Maybe I'll snag one before they are gone.
  2. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (350) Texas May 17, 2012

Is this true? I still have a bottle of it and I'm afraid it's no bueno.
  3. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

I just traded one to someone in SC who really wanted it (along with some other JK beers) and he said Thrash Metal was their favorite of the bunch they tried. Maybe I should get another....
  4. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Savant (390) Texas Jun 28, 2010

Yes. We'll brew that one again at some point, perhaps during the latter half of this year.

- Jeff
  5. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Thrash was the first Jester King beer I ever tried. I buy it whenever I see it now.
  6. HopAG

HopAG Savant (475) Texas Sep 22, 2012

Same here man, it was my first true experience with a bomber, the concept which at the time blew my mind on how someone could finish that entire thing in one go.
  7. nathanmiller

nathanmiller Savant (440) Texas Oct 7, 2009

Anyone know where I can find some Funk Metal in Houston? I saw some at Spec's Midtown when I picked up DR13, but when I came back (two hours later) after dropping off my DR13, it was all gone.

I've called a bunch of other places but no luck. Thoughts?
  8. Rainier

Rainier Savant (270) California Dec 20, 2012

Wish this was readily available in California
  9. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Whole Foods, if its not on the shelf then ask somebody in the specialty cheese section. This goes for all the Whole Foods Markets.
    Clonies720 likes this.
  10. kenm2118

kenm2118 Savant (340) Illinois Apr 17, 2009

Is Thrash Metal available anywhere in Austin?
    Thanks
  11. videofrog

videofrog Savant (470) Texas Nov 13, 2010

I saw a few cases at a store a couple of months ago. Haven't been back since to check, though. I imagine it's hanging around here and there.
  12. jeffcook

jeffcook Aficionado (105) Texas Aug 1, 2012

Its not at whole foods Kirby or Katy. Checked with both Justins
  13. HookemHops13

HookemHops13 Advocate (515) Texas Mar 21, 2013

New to JK... How limited are their limited beers? Should I be buying a couple bottles of RU-55, el cedro, boxers revenge, funk metal ect. when I see it or does the stuff stay on shelves fairly regularly?
  14. kmello69

Other than Boxer's, all of those beers have only come out once so far. Doesnt mean they wont be released again (I'm pretty sure the plan is to make Funk a regular offering, but I dont know about the others), but if you really like one of them, you might want to put several aside.
    starkmarvelo likes this.
  15. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Funk and RU-55 have been released at least twice.
    BruceBruce likes this.
  16. kmello69

Yeah, but they came out so close together, I was kinda bunching them together. Boxers was the only one that was off the shelves for a long time, and then came back on again. Should have been more specific about that! :)
  17. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Texas Jan 20, 2010

It kinda depends on the hording factor where you live too. I always buy at least 3. One to drink, one to age, one to trade or share. And like kmello said, if you find one you really like, buy more. Check this thread periodically to see what the case count is. Jeff from JK drops knowledge on us all the time when we have questions.
  18. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

New huh? I suggest spending 3hrs reading the 65pgs of JK, and you'll find the availability there.
    TJ008 likes this.
  19. HookemHops13

Thanks all. Live in Houston so from what I've been reading, the hoarding factor is pretty high. I'll have to give them a try and snag a couple of bottles of the favorites!
  20. Schmuck82

Schmuck82 Initiate (0) Texas Nov 13, 2008

If you are in Houston I would say go to Specs Smith Street since it seems like they have the biggest variety last time I saw.
  21. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (315) Texas Aug 22, 2012

I was just at Spec's Smith St. yesterday and they had plenty of RU-55, El Cedro, OG Black Metal, and all the regular stuff. I didn't get a list of everything they had, because I was shopping for other things, but you definitely need to make a stop over there and look through their selection.

Also, OG Black Metal is the original Black Metal before they changed to Farmhouse yeast. Look for a bowtie on the bottleneck.
    UHCougar12 likes this.
  22. HookemHops13

I was there yesterday as well. Picked up El Cedro, Funky Metal, and RU-55. Missed out on the OG black metal but will have to give it a shot next time Im there.
  23. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (255) Texas Sep 6, 2010

I see what you did there....
  24. Anyone know of stores that currently have Funk Metal in Austin?
  25. mrkmrk

mrkmrk Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 25, 2011

I can tell you that Hancock doesn't have it. I haven't seen it at Whole Foods Lamar, Sunrise, or Flag Store either, in the last week or so.
  26. jacobbocce72

jacobbocce72 Savant (335) Texas Dec 18, 2011

The Lakeline HEB still had half a case or so last week. I would say its worth checking out as I seem to be the only one buying it. Either that, or they have it stashed away in the back and re-stock every week or so.
    thebigyellowjoint likes this.
  27. kmello69

Specs in Round Rock still has plenty of Funk, as does the HEB @ 1431 and Parmer
    thebigyellowjoint likes this.
  28. Schmuck82

Schmuck82 Initiate (0) Texas Nov 13, 2008

Where is "round rock" and is there a large round rock there?
  29. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (255) Texas Sep 6, 2010

30. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

my house, watcha got? :)
  31. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

do what I do, buy 20 and hope they are good :) I am on a smiley face rampage tonight
    TJ008 likes this.
  32. TJ008

TJ008 Aficionado (130) Texas Dec 15, 2012

Yeah hoarding is fun!!!!
    NO JK FOR ANYONE BUT ME!!!!
    Daemose likes this.
  33. HookemHops13

Just popped my first JK. This El Cedro is awesome!! Not near educated enough to provide a review but I will definitely be trying to pick up some more. Funk metal is next....
    starkmarvelo likes this.
  34. Texasfan549

Texasfan549 Advocate (660) Texas Feb 26, 2011

This may have been discussed already, but is there an eta on Ol Oi bottles.... pretty excited to try this one
  35. eh i wasnt a fan, takes the ash tray taste from commercial suicide and adds a bit of tart.
  36. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Savant (390) Texas Jun 28, 2010

No ETA for Ol Oi bottles right now. We had a few mature oak barrels of Ol Oi that we packaged in kegs, bottles and casks. The kegs and casks were mostly tapped during Austin Beer Week in October. We have a small number of cases that we're sampling in our tasting room right now.

In the meantime, we've brewed a full size batch of Ol Oi (about 900 gallons) that is currently aging in oak barrels. We expect that batch to age for quite a while longer.

- Jeff
  37. Texasfan549

Texasfan549 Advocate (660) Texas Feb 26, 2011

Ok, thanks for the quick response Jeff!
  38. El Cedro while good was not my top JK beer I have had. I love Uberkind (haven't seen it in awhile) and RU-55 (readily available right now).

I have not tried Funk Metal or Saltlick yet.. I never seem to be at a store that has them in stock.
  39. HookemHops13

Enjoyed Funk Metal directly after and it was even better. Have a RU-55 in the chiller that I will crack open this week. What is Uberkind like?
  40. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

I don't think I did any tasting notes on Uberkind, but it's a quality sour from the selection I've had from around the country. I've bought probably a case and a hafl of the stuff over the past few months.

Edit: Looks like glassware is back in stock if anyone still wants one. I ordered a glass.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.