1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Everything Jester King

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by dumptruck81, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (350) Texas May 17, 2012

Thanks for posting this. Just purchased mine.
  2. HookemHops13

HookemHops13 Advocate (515) Texas Mar 21, 2013

These the ones on the JK website? They hard to find? Was considering getting the shirt/2 glass combo but was going to hold off for now....
  3. SWChi

SWChi Savant (310) Illinois Oct 25, 2012

Currently in SA...can't seem to find any JK..went to the local Gabriels(near 410 & Poteet Jourdanton Fwy)and the guy never heard of JK or Freetail..already hit up Freetail yesterday...anywhere close to pick up any JK? There's an HEB Plus down the street so was going to try that...thanks.
  4. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Well, that Gabriel's ain't worth a shit then. I reccomend Specs 1604 & IH 35, Specs De Zavala, Gabriel's at 1604 & Blanco (which is about a mile or two away from Freetail & has a Whole Foods around the corner. Though HEB plus should have some. Also HEB Alon is a good spot. What are you looking for?
    SWChi likes this.
  5. SWChi

Just wanted to try some JK brews out...thanks for the info...
  6. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (650) Texas Jul 14, 2009

The 1604 gabriels is the only one worth going to in SA. Central Market should also have JK as well as, HEB Alon Market.
    SWChi likes this.
  7. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

That person should be immediately fired from their job.
  8. SWChi

The guy asked me -Where's Freetail? I said um here in SA...he said Oh..
  9. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Well, just cause you work in the beer department doesn't mean you know much about beer. Just what your distributor tells you. I can forgive not knowing about Freetail since they don't distribute (yet :) ), but Jester King? C'mon man!
  10. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Savant (335) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Any funk metal left in Austin? Looking for two bottles
  11. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Round Rock Specs had some the other day if you're up north...
  12. Daemose

Daemose Savant (440) Texas Oct 3, 2011

I am not good with descriptions, but... Sour, yet refreshing, a little sweetly bready, slightly oaky, faintly saison-ish. One of my favorites. If you've had a Gueuze, it's pretty similar, with more malt and sweetness.

This is just my experience, some may disagree or think I'm tasting a completely different beer than them. It's probably because I can't smell very well.
  13. picked up a boxers revenge yesterday at specs smith st.. cant wait to try this one for the first time
  14. HookemHops13

Nice how many they have? Will have to swing by and grab some. Heard great things...
  15. i actually did not see how many they had. A friend grabbed 2 while I was over in the tequila section. But I did see on specs twitter feed yesterday that they found two cases in the back that were hidden.
  16. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (260) Texas Jan 22, 2013

Yeah, when visiting two weeks ago, I went to a downtown liquor store and asked if they had Ranger Creek. They had no clue they produced beer.
  17. rainerschuhsler

I finally got around to answering my own question, in case anyone else is interested. Batch 2, to me, seems very, very similar to batch 1, and not as similar as I remember it to being on draft. Oh well. The cedar is very pronounced. This batch might be a tad bit more citrusy and maybe a tad hoppier, but this comparison is only based off memory. So in other words, it's pretty much the same beer.
  18. if you find a bottle of boxers revenge grab it! just drank one for the first time and love it. so much complexity going on. many many layers of flavors that work very well together. sour, chardonnay, fruits, tart, hop, yeast, etc..
  19. IPAnut

IPAnut Aficionado (100) Texas Nov 15, 2012

How long will jk sours last on my shelf??
    Got me ru55 funk and boxers
  20. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Years.
  21. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Not long, because you're going to want to drink them. :)
    videofrog likes this.
  22. HookemHops13

Good and bad to hear. This now gives me very little excuse to to go get multiple bottles of each. However with the house/honeymoon/wedding I really need to save some cash... Decisions decisions ..
  23. Lutter

Don't worry. They'll make more.
    jesterkingbeer likes this.
  24. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

lol. D&Q posted that he has more OG Black Metal. WHERE IS IT ALL COMING FROM?!?!?
  25. rainerschuhsler

I was at Premium Draught last week and I saw they had bottles of Black Metal with up-side-down labels. I asked about them and their explanation wasn't exactly clear to me. They said something about their distributor having a ton of OG bottles without labels and that they delivered the bottles and the labels separately. Premium Draught put the labels on up side down to distinguish the OG bottles from the Farmhouse. Makes no sense to me.
  26. tx_beer_man

Wondering the difference btw OG and farmhouse. I was at the brewery two weekends ago and they said original Black Metal won't be produced again. Is this the OG?
  27. tx_beer_man

Nvm, got it == original
  28. rainerschuhsler

OG=Original Black Metal. It was made with an English yeast strain. The current Farmhouse Black Metal uses a saison yeast.
  29. Clonies720

I wish they'd go back to English. Dat flavor is so unique and lovely. F. I wanna go buy a bunch of OG Black Metal now...
    mrkmrk likes this.
  30. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Savant (255) Texas Jul 12, 2012

D&Q also tweeted they have El Cedro back in stock.
  31. mrkmrk

mrkmrk Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 25, 2011

Me neither, because the labels are different.

...Unless they're the new labels. Then that makes sense, aside from the whole separate shipment business.
  32. Lutter

Jeff is totally still secretly making OG Black Metal under cover of night for the Houston market.

I'm starting to wonder where this magical Houston OGBM stockpile is.
    Clonies720 and mrkmrk like this.
  33. mrkmrk

mrkmrk Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 25, 2011

A friend gave me money to buy him one next time I'm in Houston.

...I'll probably also get another for me. Man. It's just so good! And it's all been aged for at least a year and a half!
  34. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

DNQ got some unlabel, dust covered ones today. Seriously about an inch of dust on those bad boys. Fat and skinny caps, so pretty sure two different batches, if anyone cares.
    Clonies720 likes this.
  35. Gin Barrel-Aged Gotlandstricka? I think this beer needs more Juniper.....[​IMG]
    rainerschuhsler likes this.
  36. FUNKPhD

BT tomorrow night?
    greenspointexas likes this.

37. haha, totally would, but have cases at 0530 on Friday morning
  38. Clonies720

Gin-Barrel Aged SOUR Gotlandsdricka bro!!!!!! That actually sounds kind of disgusting, but I'll admit my curiosity is piqued and I'll definitely buy at least 3 bottles.
    mrkmrk and rainerschuhsler like this.
  39. FUNKPhD

I wasn't asking if you'd be around, just your beer ;)
  40. IPAnut

IPAnut Aficionado (100) Texas Nov 15, 2012

Didn't like the gotlandsdricka tasted like smokey cheese
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.