1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Everything Shiner Thread

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by icetrauma, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Since there was a lot of Shiner talk in the labe approval thread, I figured it's time for Shiner to get their own thread. I do enjoy Shiner Bock, Cheer, Ruby Redbird and the alt in the family pack is tasty as well. The Bohemian Black Lager makes a great marinade for chicken. Like it or hate it, Shiner serves it purposes as a great intro beer into craft and has good name recognition in Tx. It was the beer that got me into craft and holds a special place in beer history to me.
    Texan956, creepinjeeper and coldriver like this.
  2. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Bock is a good keg beer, but I liked it better before they changed the recipe. Can we start a Lone Star thread next? I liked LS when I could get it for 1$/bottle at happy hour.
  3. icetrauma

Why the hell not. LOL JK has their own thread. :D

Edit...they also have a Farmhouse beer coming out. Not my style but I'll try it once. Looking forward to some Holiday Cheer.
  4. FUNKPhD

Freetail has their own thread, and the BB1 thread is slowly, but surely, turning into an SA thread.
  5. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Savant (490) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!
    Anyone have Shiner Frost a few years back?
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  6. icetrauma

Didn't have the Frost but I do miss the Dunkelweizen with "Krausening" many moons ago. It might not have been the Dunkelweizen but it was their winter beer.
  7. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Wasn't it "Fraust"? That was in my very early beer drinking years but I remember liking it.
  8. icetrauma

It was Frost.
  9. mattisloco

Never mind it was just Fröst. Thats their highest rated beer somehow.
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  10. starkmarvelo

It was because of the umlaut.
    icetrauma, fragilehearted and FUNKPhD like this.
  11. FUNKPhD

Fruust lawl
  12. starkmarvelo

Silly Germans
  13. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

I loved the 101.
  14. RRandez

RRandez Disciple (60) Texas Aug 21, 2010

If the farmhouse ends up carbonating well with a nice yeast flavor, it will be pretty good imo. Lemony yet earthy. I'd be extra happy if it went unfiltered during bottling.
    101 was a great pilsner that would be kick ass as a tall boy can for those special occasions.
  15. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (550) Texas Nov 20, 2011

It was named for Frost Bank. Carlos Alvarez (owner of Shiner) is on the Board if Directors of the bank.
    icetrauma and FUNKPhD like this.
  16. coldriver

coldriver Savant (395) Texas Jul 13, 2007

Say what you will about Shiner, but it's definitely a proud independent Texas brewing tradition. And considering the name recognition (in Texas and way beyond) and wide distribution already in place, if they ever start cranking out truly great beers they could become the next Sierra Nevada.
    icetrauma likes this.
  17. Shiner 98 FTW
  18. mattisloco

That's pretty cool, never heard that.
  19. icetrauma

Thanks for that bit of history. Any more Shiner tidbits you might have?
  20. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (550) Texas Nov 20, 2011

I work for the bank. I was just told that by someone in the know.
  21. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Ok slow down...Shiner will never be the next Sierra Nevada and a thread dedicated to them is utterly ridiculous. There I said it...let the hate party begin.
  22. djd07

djd07 Aficionado (145) Texas Oct 3, 2012

ISO: Shiner Honey Wheat
  23. coldriver

Admittedly they are a long long ways from achieving SN status - but I can imagine a couple scenarios which could move them down the path. How much could a company the size of Shiner afford to pay top-notch brewing talent compared to (insert any struggling startup here)? And what about the possibility of them acquiring a smaller brewer (think Goose Island)?
  24. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

There is a giant Shiner coffee table book called "Shine On: 100 Years of Shiner Beer" that I've seen at my local library. If you really want more info, might be worth looking into.
  25. mattisloco

You know we have new people joining everyday right? When you were new to beer did you just jump right in to Saison's and BA Stouts? I didn't, as a matter of fact Shiner and some of the Mexican beers were the very first beers I searched out on Beeradvocate.

Shiner is an absoluetly great "gateway" brand of beers. Just because you don't drink them anymore doesn't mean they don't deserve their own thread. Someone new to our forum could have a very basic question about Shiner Black and this would be the best place for them to ask it. Or there could be someone like me who is having fun reminiscing the old Shiner beers I drank long ago.

Let's hold off on "utterly ridiculious", we all started somewhere.
    icetrauma and fragilehearted like this.
  26. mattisloco

I forgot that I own this book.
    ShameAndFailure likes this.
  27. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

Shiner is one the conversion beers for me.
    I'm fond of their Bohemian Black & Their Alt.
    No hate here.
    Bock is never my first choice, but I have a lot of respect for shiner.
    Ford likes this.
  28. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

If I ever stop liking Shiner I'll be embarrassed for myself.... not my fave, but plenty of really good product, made by good people. I've tried plenty of craft beers that didn't stand up.. and I liked their Oktoberfest more than about six others I tried this year.

I believe they absolutely deserve a thread here along with the other regional southwest breweries.
    blatherbeard likes this.
  29. FUNKPhD

I like to see the glass as half full. I like a full glass more, though.
  30. justin07

justin07 Aficionado (105) Texas Feb 14, 2006

Back in the late 70's, Shiner used to show up at high school football games and pass out free samples in the parking lot. The city of Shiner is not big now, so you can imagine what it was like 40 years ago. The Shiner football team had a playoff game in Giddings..the football helmets had two bottles with XX where the label should be. Don't think that would work now :)
    creepinjeeper, Ford and chocosushi like this.
  31. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (315) Texas Aug 22, 2012

Same here. I always enjoyed trying all the different Shiner products, and they opened my eyes to different styles. Everyone else I knew only drank BMC swill.
    I was lucky enough to be at a Spec's looking for a Hefeweizen and a distributor gave me some information on Karbach Weisse Versa, and after trying it I was hooked. Shortly after that I joined this Forum and I have been enjoying delicious craft beer.
    creepinjeeper, Ford and FUNKPhD like this.
  32. coldriver

Lol, back in the day I scoreboarded my friends because I drank Shiner while they drank Miller Lite. They eventually came around and then followed me right down the path to great beer. Shiner helped get them from Miller Lite to Palate Wrecker in less than two years!
  33. icetrauma

Sometimes a thread like this is needed to remind people of where we come from, especially in Tx. Everyone has to start somewhere. No one in Texas first beer was a PtE or PVW DL. Shiner is just as much a part of Tx beer history as is JK. I can pretty much guarantee that anyone who goes to a chain restaurant and all they have is BMC plus Shiner, they will order Shiner. Let's get off our high horse folks and get back to being who we are, beer advocates not beer snobs.

Prost!
  34. icetrauma

Also, I agree Shiner will not be the next SN or whatever. They are German style brewery. And when was the last time you had a huge German PA, DIPA, Barleywine or stout for that matter.
    JJFoodie likes this.
  35. coldriver

Don't know about a German style PA, but in the past year they released an American Pale Ale (Wild Hare) which tells me they're paying attention (can you imagine them releasing an APA five years ago?). Granted it wasn't great, but a step in the right direction. All I'm saying is that given their capacity, recognition, independence, and distribution they're very well positioned should they choose to seize the opportunity (craft beer movement) they've been presented.
    creepinjeeper and icetrauma like this.
  36. icetrauma

This is true. Plus they are releasing a farmhouse style brew as well.
  37. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Agreed. Sadly I doubt I'll ever get any BA Dark Lord. lol
  38. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

I'll take shiner black over most any ipa,dipa or pale ale. Not all of us like hoppy over the top insane ness.

But I'll take over the top malt bombs anytime, so I guess I'm just as bad as you hopheads some days lol

But seriously as a transplant Texan I enjoy shiner over a lot of beers you guys love to drink. I think if you didn't have shiner here, it be a different story. Maybe not running around trying to get it like a rare beer, but you'd enjoy it for what it is. I refer to it as the Sam Adams of Texas, the only difference being its nit nearly as widely distro'd.
  39. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (760) Texas Jun 14, 2012

I do enjoy the Shiner Cheer every year and end up purchasing at least a 12pk for the fridge. It definitely has its place.
    icetrauma likes this.
  40. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (540) Texas Apr 26, 2007

I really enjoyed that one.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.