1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Everything Shiner Thread

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by icetrauma, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I saw Cheer at the Austin Gingerman on Wednesday.
  2. I really enjoyed the Shiner 100 when it was out and will probably pick up a 6 pack of the Cheer this winter as well. Great intro brewery IMO
    icetrauma likes this.
  3. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Picked up 2 6-packs of Cheer for $6.97/each at HEB yesterday! Woot!
    icetrauma likes this.
  4. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

So is this 2013 going to be 103?
  5. Lutter

Just made fresh Wild Boar bangers from Dai Due at the Austin Farmers Market sautéed in Shiner Cheer with mash. Words cannot describe the deliciousness.
    Danielbt and icetrauma like this.
  6. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

I don't they even know what they are doing. They didn't have an anniversary brew in 2011.
  7. Ford

8. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

102 Double Wheat. It's not hard to keep track of this stuff.
  9. Danielbt

The Shiner Farmhouse is pretty good, BTW.
  10. Lutter

I dunno guys... Shiner might just be jumping the shark with their upcoming Farmhouse Ale, lol.
  11. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

The brewers reserve prickly pear ale is also pretty good. If they made it a summer beer I'd drink a good amount of it.
  12. Danielbt

It's at HEB; go taste it. Pretty good. Not amazing, but solid quality.
  13. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Savant (365) Texas Aug 16, 2012

Shiner was always around growing up in Texas. Even though my dad didn't drink beer he always had it on hand for those that did. It wasn't Miller, Bud, Corona, or Dos Equis - it was always Shiner. I'll take a Bock over a BMC any day. Thanks Dad.

Wile Hare and Ruby are pretty tasty.
    Ford, r0nburgundy69 and icetrauma like this.
  14. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Savant (490) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Shiner Farmhouse for $2.08 for a bomber. Why not?
    icetrauma likes this.
  15. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

Is this regular Shiner Distro or a Texas only special release? I'd like to see it in OK.
  16. mattisloco

Where was this?
  17. Azzy

Azzy Savant (290) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Why is this a Shiner thread? I believe the brewery is called Spoetzl Brewery.
  18. mattisloco

No one says hey give me a Spoetzl.
  19. Danielbt

It's their spring seasonal. If you got the Dortmunder last year, you'll get this one this year.
  20. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Savant (490) Texas Jan 20, 2010

HEB New Braunfels. IH35 and Walnut. I tried it tonight. It pretty good actually. I'm sure it won't get great reviews since its not some fancy brewery. But I liked it.
    jl28r1 and mattisloco like this.
  21. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

What he said.
    UHCougar12 likes this.
  22. Lutter

Do you call Guinness "St. John's Gate?"
  23. slimchill

slimchill Aficionado (130) Texas Apr 10, 2008

the only thing i've ever been able to palate is the redbird. however, i've consumed enough redbird to justify the brewery's existence in my book.

i will say, though, that something like wild hare to me seems more like pandering than a step in the right direction. and as far as being a "proud, independent tx brewing tradition," don't they make shiner bock with caramel coloring, and aren't they owned by the gambrinus group? i wouldn't call that proud or independent.
    lokieman likes this.
  24. icetrauma

No but I do call Clown Shoes, Mercury Brewing Company.

Not serious.
  25. Lutter

Gambrinus IS based in San Antonio, IIRC. Don't they own Frost Bank? (Or the same owner)
  26. HoodooOperator

HoodooOperator Savant (275) Texas Sep 27, 2012

Cheer is ass.
    CaptainPiret likes this.
  27. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

I drank a couple Shiner Bocks yesterday at my inlaws house. It's not bad, I like the malty flavor, but after the first bottle, I find the sweetness gets a bit cloying. I'd like it better if it had perhaps more grainy malt flavors and less worty malt flavor. Maybe a lower mash temperature or even a slight bit more bitterness would help. OR It might just be that my bitterness tolerance is too high and what little hops is added for balance falls completely below my perceptual threshold. I actually pulled out a Bud Light after drinking three Shiner Bocks.
  28. slimchill

slimchill Aficionado (130) Texas Apr 10, 2008

Referenced because they are not independent, not because they are not Texan.
  29. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

trying the farmhouse right now.

odd flavor, cant quite place it. almost like a heineken is the best i can come up with.

so not great but i can finish the six i bought. Prob wouldnt buy it again though.
  30. Ford

Saw some people drink this last weekend and they really liked it.. I didn't get around to trying a bottle, but I hope to soon... overall the comments from those drinking it were very positive...
  31. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Shiner makes some really good beers. 101 was an excellent Pils. I like Octoberfest and Bock too. So do a whole lotta other folks. As an Okie, it pains me very much to praise anything Texan.
  32. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I can't think of a single beer that they make that I enjoy.. They aren't terrible, just not very good to me.
    CaptainPiret and lokieman like this.
  33. turfy

turfy Savant (340) Texas Mar 17, 2010

what he said
    lokieman likes this.
  34. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Savant (380) Texas Apr 30, 2011

why does this thread even exist!!
    champ103 and lokieman like this.
  35. icetrauma

Why should it not exist?

Anyway, several folks where mentioning in other threads about how they liked some of the Shiner beers. ie Cheer, Ruby Red, 101 etc so, I made a Shiner thread. Just because they are not doing big barrel aged beers, does not mean they don't need to be talked about. Shiner is a good gateway beer, especially for Texans.
  36. justin07

justin07 Aficionado (105) Texas Feb 14, 2006

Just bought the Farmhouse. I've had many a bad beers from Rahr, Jester King, Ranger Creek etc. I'm ok with this thread.
    icetrauma likes this.
  37. Ford

Because Shiner is a really good beer brewer to many people... and certainly a big part of Texas culture.

I had a SHiner Cheer on tap at the Meinake Car Care Bowl.. it was really good... and better than a lot of small craft brew beers I've had recently.

I really liked 101 when it was out.. and I like Cheer and Wild Hare.. and I have no problem throwing down a regular Shiner.. not my favorite, but it's just fine and better than bud, budlight, miller lite, coors.. to me.

Oh yeah Oktoberfest is great in my opinion.
    creepinjeeper and icetrauma like this.
  38. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

People don't like any beer that isnt sour or hasnt been aged in unicorn tears. Walez, bro.

P.s. - I like the shit out of Redbird.
  39. icetrauma

Don't forget cat shit coffee in the beerz.

BTW, Redbird is great on a hot summer day. I also enjoyed some Cheer here recently as well.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.