1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Everything Southern Star

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Ford, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

Southern Star Black Crack in bottles at Sugar Land flying saucer. $20 a bottle. Not actually a bad deal considering bar markup. They also have Rodenbach Grand Cru, which I'll get later tonight. Buffalo Bayou Ginger Citrus IPA is on tap. I liked it for the most part, but only tried a taster. Cask of rodeo clown is on too. Might try that when I come back later tonight
    Ford likes this.
  2. mrkmrk

mrkmrk Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 25, 2011

Awwwww mannnn. That shit was delicious!

(Black Crack, that is. Totally understand all of the "buttery" comments, now, and that's not a bad thing at all.)
  3. Clonies720

So that's 2 reports of "buttery-ness" diacetyl then?
  4. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (255) Texas Sep 6, 2010

I think he's using buttery as in smooth?
  5. Clonies720

It would make more sense to just say smooth in my mind. Since diacetyl is described as buttery, and often perceived as a flaw in some styles, while welcome in others. If someone describes a beer as "buttery", then I'd immediately think diacetyl.
  6. mrkmrk

Hm. I don't think it was a unique thing, but I'm hard-pressed to recall another beer that had this quality. I didn't *at all* feel like it was a bad thing. Mostly, as cablejelly said, I would call this beer smooth. It had an almost oily, mouth-coating feel to it, which is why I called it buttery. I'm really not sure how I could distinguish between whether it was due to diacetyl, though.
  7. Cablejelly

Diacetyl is a byproduct, cancerous in huge amounts, and used as an artificial butter flavoring in a lot of things. In medium amounts it is used to flavor popcorn and in large amounts it's used in butterscotch candies. When present in beer, unless it's acceptable for the style (bourbon barrel aged stout is not), it's a flaw that brings about actual butter flavor. It has nothing to do with a creamy smooth texture. Don't confuse umami (savory) with buttery ;) or the BA purist will crucify you. LOL
    mrkmrk and Clonies720 like this.
  8. What styles would be acceptable? Scotch ales perhaps?
  9. Clonies720

Not scotch ales. Check BJCP style guidelines. Come to think of it, I think the Victory Prima Pils I drank at the bar today might have diacetyl. I remember a distinct, unpleasant, lasting mouthfeel that reminded me of fake butter. Guess I wasn't really paying attention to the beer and more to the delicious pretzel with spicy mustard and bratwurst.
  10. Cablejelly

Yeah, I guess possibly. There's preference, AHA rules, Commercial rules.... just depends. Scotch ales, some belgians, maybe an experimental or colab style that incorporates it intentionally would be the only time I'd expect to taste it and even then, maybe not so much on a mass commercial scale. Local/regional breweries get away with a little more than say some of the bigger craft brewers.

Also, in huge amounts it will be oily but I just don't see that in mrkmrk's bottle tbh. wasn't this all aged in the same barrel and/or blended before bottling? I'd think something that strong would have been picked up on by everyone by now.
  11. Cablejelly

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category9.php
    low diacetyl, and/or a low to moderate peaty aroma (all are optional). (scottish light, medium, export) and strong scotch should be low to none

Not quioting this to be a dick, I just had to verify to make sure I wasn't passing on bad info after your post :) This is the 2004 edition but I'll look for the update to see if that has changed ;)

2008 same http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style09.php
  12. mrkmrk

Yeah, all right. None of that business in the beer, then. I'm pretty damned confident.
  13. Clonies720

My bad. I skimmed it actually and missed it the first time. Thanks for the correction!
  14. i didnt really pick up a butteriness per se, more of a creamy component even with a slightly thin mouth feel
    mrkmrk likes this.
  15. mrkmrk

Yeah! There was something thin about the mouthfeel, but not in an unpleasant way.
  16. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

It's not as thick as BCBS, but it's got way more feel than BB1. It's a pretty tasty brew. It definitely still has a lot of Bourbon heat to it still.
  17. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

What's BB1?
  18. Cablejelly

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/337/86866/?ba=PhatAtUT

An "on prem" only bottled brew. Brewed once in such limited quantities that Saint Arnold couldn't keg it nor could they distribute it to every retail location. Ultimately, they decided on releasing it to on-prem accounts only (51% license restaurants/bars) to be consumed at the establishment. While Saint Arnold does admit that places who could normally sell bottles should be able to let you buy it to go, many places didn't follow through with that (Whip In for example). Prices were $7-16/bottle depending on how much the retailer gouged. Many people walked off with bottles anyway :)

/babble
  19. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

Thanks for the info. I appreciate hearing about that. Didn't hear about it and it looks like it was recent - late last year.
  20. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Savant (490) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Any available in Austin?
  21. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Any what?
  22. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Savant (490) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Lol. Any.
    Black Crack. Sorry, sometimes I just think I'm drunk.
  23. mrkmrk

There was quite a few at Hancock Friday night, but it's probably gone :\.
  24. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

CM Westgate had it yesterday.
  25. mrkmrk

Yeah, none left at Hancock :(.
  26. tigrstylz

tigrstylz Aficionado (215) Texas Jan 10, 2012

Yep, three bottles spotted at cm westgate @10pm
  27. mattchow

mattchow Savant (370) Texas Jun 24, 2012

had another one last night for my birthday, fuxk iloveit! so happy I have 15 more lol.
  28. bccocx

bccocx Advocate (680) Texas Jan 13, 2007

15?!?!?$? You chow'd the hell out of that one!
    mattchow and kmello69 like this.
  29. Daemose

Daemose Savant (440) Texas Oct 3, 2011

You should see how much he posts to twitter that he doesn't even mention on here! lol
    mattchow likes this.
  30. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Damn. Guess I need to follow him. Live vicariously! :)
  31. duff247

duff247 Savant (450) Texas Nov 16, 2010

Had one a few days ago. Split it and still could barely finish the glass. Tasted like straight butter. Could have poured it on popcorn. Seriously no bourbon or base beer to taste...
    Hopefully the bottle I have is not the same.
  32. DanzBorin

I can get a creaminess, but not butter. Either the bottle was bad or your taster is because it has a very present bourbon presence.

That was in no way a dig. Just saying that you should have gotten Bourbon.
  33. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

I cracked one on Sunday, and did a side-by-side with regular hatchet. I would say it was slightly creamy didn't smell nor taste like butter, but it had a very "oily" mouth feel. I also didn't get a whole lot of bourbon from it. It was good, glad I was able to get a few.
  34. Cablejelly

I'm gonna have to crack another and check again. The types of oily buttery descriptions coming out now are most likely bacterial issues and not a diacetyl fermentation issue. I'm probably just being paranoid due to the RC issues I've had but if this starts to develop bacterial infections that bring on diacetyl notes, this certainly isn't for aging.
  35. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (340) Texas May 17, 2012

Having already tried one bottle that I thought was very good, I still don't think this beer is suitable for aging. It is by no means a "hot" beer. The bourbon is pretty tame compared to most other BA stouts. I think it's about as good as it gets. The two-year-old "OG" Burbon Barrel Buried Hatchet I had at the Hay Merchant anniversary was definitely past its prime.
    DonD likes this.
  36. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

I'll never understand why people would want to age a barrel aged beer. The barrel fades and you're left with the non barrel aged version of the beer.
  37. Cablejelly

I agree with this. I didn't mean laying it down for years, intentionally. I was more talking about maybe having to consume this asap before something sets in to ruin it. It's not unlike me to buy something and just have it hang around for 6-8 months before I finish it all.... I guess aging wasn't the word I as looking for.

This is probably something I should enjoy post haste before it's un-enjoyable. :)
  38. DanzBorin

Or not that at all...
  39. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

It seems you don't know what you're talking about.
  40. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Advocate (575) Texas Dec 28, 2012

Can't agree here, I understand your logic but I just had a 2011 and 2012 Central Waters BA Stout side by side and the 2011 blew the 2012 out of the water. No pun intended
    mattisloco likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.