Exploding bottle

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DubbelTrubbel, Jan 13, 2013.

1. DubbelTrubbel

DubbelTrubbel Savant (250) Georgia Nov 19, 2012

So I haven't been able to find an explanation on this. What is the cause of a bottle exploding with foam and running over as you take the cap off? I had this happen with a bottle of St. Bernardus Prior 8. It wasn't shaken at all, but I did take the cap off slowly.

2. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (710) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

Off topic but title reminded me of this...

I had a bottle explode once. Fresh, bought warm 750ml of Moloko packed away in a old vodka box with dividers in it so there wasn't glass on glass action. Pulled into my drive way and heard a pop in the back seat. I slammed the car into park, get to the box to find the bottle blown out on one side. Only upside was I was quick enough to get the box out before it leak onto the seat.

3. a few different types of infections can cause gushing ie. fusarium, aspergillus even penicillium. Could be bottle sanitation issues as well

4. djaeon

djaeon Champion (755) California Oct 2, 2006

I have that happen with various Sam Adams beers fairly regularly. And it just happened today with a bottle of St Bernardus Abt 12. I don't know what the cause is either. With the Sam Adams beers, it only seems to happen when I have them on their side in the fridge, instead of vertical. The Abt 12 was vertical though, so I have no idea. Over carbing maybe?

5. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (655) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Infection more than likely. Some are slower than others, some are simple cases of the brewing doing a bottle condition beer that they messed up with and over carbed.

The likely cause is infection. Some are so slow that you won't notice other than half the bottle going over into the sink.

6. Did it smell or taste off?

7. drtth

drtth Champion (870) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

St. Bernardus sometimes has otherwise perfectly good bottles foam up like that. If the bottle wasn't shaken, was allowed to sit quietly for a week or so after you brought it home, and was chilled to at least cellar temperature, then the likely cause is a quality/quantity control issue on the amount of yeast/sugar added at the brewery just before bottling to bottle condition the beer.

If your bottle was infected you'd probably also notice off smells and flavors in what you sample from the bottle.

And BTW, since occasionally bottle conditioned beers do really literally explode (while still corked or capped) you didn't have an exploding bottle, or bottle bomb, you had a gusher.

Mothergoose03, lucasj82 and DanE like this.
  8. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Yeah, that's just a gusher. Since bottle conditioning is the standard here in Belgium, I'll go as far as to say that roughly half of the bottles I open are gushers. One can only hope they gush slowly enough so you don't have to scurry for a glass :)

I've heard a ton of explanations: residual sugar still fermenting, overactive yeast, ...

9. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

I try to have a glass at the ready to avoid scuryying. Poured two big glasses of foam before I got any beer out of my Rayon Vert last night.

As an aside, never try and cap a gusher with your finger. Instead of just wiping down the counter and the floor, you'll get to clean the walls and ceiling.

10. I'm not an expert here but it seems to me that something to consider when opening a bottle-conditioned beer is that the colder the beer is then less foaming should occur. If it's a beer that you want to drink at room or cellar temp then you can experiment with removing the cap from a chilled bottle and letting the beer sit while warming. You'll need to watch it so that the beer doesn't foam slowly out of the bottle and make a mess on the counter. When foaming does occur the beer warms more rapidly, so don't wait too long before you drink it.

11. DubbelTrubbel

DubbelTrubbel Savant (250) Georgia Nov 19, 2012

Thanks, I wasn't sure what the correct term was.

12. Store your beer in a cool dark place. Scientifically light and heat promote additional fermentation and increase the CO2 pressure in the bottle. The only time I've had this happen is when I left beers in the back of a hot car. Chances are something happened to your beer at the store or during transport. Either way depending on the place you bought the beers from you can try complaining and see if they will refund your money or replace the beers. At the very least you can try drinking it fast and pretend it's a surprise party. :p

13. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I have run into this with 4 consecutive bottles of Black Albert now...luckily I know to have a glass at the ready for it...now...after having to scrub carpet the first time.

14. ive had a bottle of ska pinstripe explode on the shelf in my store, glass shrapnel flying everywhere, including up to my counter(a good 20ft away) needless to say i was sketch on stocking the shelfs for the next week with out eye protection.
    on the note of gushers, i genereally always have the glass ill be using right next to me when i open a beer for this reason. ive dumped way to much beer on my carpet and in my sink

15. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I never learn :p

16. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Could be over primed in the case of bottle conditioning, or premature bottling. Every bottle I have had from hill farmstead was a gusher to one degree or another. Infection could be the cause as well. I'm not too familiar with the prior 8, but a lot of brett beers seem to gush. Or maybe you pissed someone off, so they shake all the beers in your fridge violently priior to your drinking them...